Price hike

While I do enjoy the high number of sales for DC (and relatedly Marvel), I would LOVE to see more people who order indie books from places like Aftershock, Scout, Vault, and even non-IP/buzzung titles from Image/Boom/Dark Horse on our site. Some of the best series I’ve read in the last few years are coming from the smaller publishers but convincing people to order them is not easy, because they don’t have the brand name recognition.

If any indie fans have any ideas or thoughts on ways to make it easier/better for people to find and order books like that, shoot me a PM!

3 Likes

With Cates leaving Venom, I’m going to start picking it up in hopes a talented writer takes over. His whole run could’ve been done in 6 issues max. Just not a fan of his. I buy a lot of independents so it’s not going to really change anything if prices go up.

2 Likes

I would like to see that, but there is nothing about an issue 2 on Diamond or Scout…

1 Like

I think a “customers also bought” (but only include the indie titles, not like X-Men title #7 if you’re buying X-Men title #12 or something) or “if you like x, we recommend you look at y” system of pointing people who like certain books to indie titles that share commonalities with them. This might be hard to code unless you have a good meta-tagging system, but I’ve found the indie books I most like by deep-diving Previews and sites like CHU to look and see what else feels like what I’m already reading.

Like, if you like/buy S.W.O.R.D. and/or GotG, you might like Sea of Stars, Tartarus, Blade Runner 2029, etc.
If you liked/bought Taylor’s Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, you might like his Seven Secrets
If you liked/bought DCeased, you might like this massive mountain of great horror titles (HaHa, Frank at Home on the Farm, Home Sick Pilots, Cullen Bunn’s insert new series, Ice Cream Man, and tons of other things I’m not reading)

1 Like

Yeah… TFAW needs some Pandora/Amazon music interests algorithm type code… A similar task bar at the bottom of a page of a book or issue that says, “If you like this book, you may also like these based on similarities…”

I wouldn’t base likes off purchases though… I’m sure we got some comic book buyers who buy any and everything…

Well, I’m sure there’s the ability to look at correlation strength, so that you can weed out the whales that skew the data to “there is a small, but non-zero correlation with any randomly chosen title, MLP, every Vampirella variant, and so on.” Just set a baseline at the number of whales :slight_smile:

Wow. The only DC I am reading is “The Last God”, which I really enjoy. I also usually pick up a copy of Strange Adventures. So, doesn’t really affect me too much as these are nothing I buy multiple copies of.

IF they were charging more but adding pages id be fine with it, but I wont buy books that charge more for bad backup stories. Ill have to evaluate those to see if I will be dropping titles. I dont get many DC books anyway. Marvel, Boom and Image are all better companies imo.

We’ve actually had that “you may like” type suggestion briefly live on the site. The problem was it slowed things down quite a bit in loading.

You guys hiring IT devops operation admins that excel in operations and automation? I’m looking to get away from @Anthony chains… :wink:

I am planning on selling off about 25% of everything I have this year. I want to sell at least 50% of what I have when I move again in about 4 years. This includes toys too. After the KIB run I plan to drop Venom also. I will pull Thor, Star Wars High Republic & STIKTC. Either one or two copies. If something hears up I will try to get a few copies. I want to cut down about 75% of what I had been spending the last 10 years on things. I will be getting the rest of my sets of miniatures ready to sell this year and produce some prototypes to produce some more figures sets in 2022.

2 Likes

Is there a link out there announcing this DC price hike? I just did a quick Google search and couldn’t find anything.

One a separate yet kind of related topic, when did comic books move past the news print paper? I think I was on a collecting hiatus when that happened. I love how Solid Blood used that paper. Call me weird, but I also love the smell of it…ANYWAYS…how does this relate??? Wondering if that paper is cheaper to print.

The price hike is only for books that have a backup story. Not every book is going to go up as far as I know.

2 Likes

The paper that is used for comics these days is pretty much as cheap as it gets. Same goes for the inks. The old comics had paper that was more durable and the ink lasted longer. This is why you can press old comics at higher temperatures, introduce them to humidity and clean them easier then modern comics.

2 Likes

If you can just “get away” then are you really “chained?” Maybe you mean you’re looking for someone to rescue you?

What I really need is someone to be the wind beneath my wings… We should watch Beaches @Anthony while we spoon each other on the basement floor…

2 Likes

Why am I hearing the theme to “The Bodyguard”?

Umm… Bette Midler was/is way cooler than Whitney…

1 Like

Rumor has it if you trade places with him you will gain access to the secret links. A fair trade…

Now now… let’s not get carried away…

2 Likes