Recommendations for CGC 9.8 pre-orders

They won’t refund or replace those? Yikes. I had a couple damaged that aren’t even that bad, and I thought for sure they’d be replace-worthy.

Wow… Damage in your second pic is significantly worse than the damaged Spy Island #1 & Venom #27 that I got from them a few weeks ago. My pre-order options do include a bag + board with each book though…

Do you think those books were damaged during shipment?

I imagine their response is due to the volume of damage - 30 books… They were quick to refund the cost of the two damaged books that I received.

Don’t think I could shop there again if I ever received an order from them with as much damage as you’ve shown in your pics.

It’s beyond frustrating the amount of double digit IQ’s packing books for shipment…online stores, EBAY, FB…whatever. It has absolutely jaded me to only use buying online as an absolute last resort.

My order also includes bags and boards, the books were definitely damaged in shipping. the package stacked 100 comics wrapped in some paper. I think the return policy is a bit disingenuous given TFAW only needs to guarantee VF.

I just packed up around 15 comics myself on a sale and there’s definitely a little more needed involved to secure books that are more than a handful. I should have taken pictures of my shipment, it was a work of beauty… books, secured with painter tape in USPS tyvek mailing envelope only to get another secure wrap of tape to keep them from sliding around in the bag, then taped down to a board that extended past the comic border, placed into box with about an inch border with packing peanuts. Then I found some 1 1/2" thick styrofoam to cut and place on top that made the box flaps lay flat. The box felt like a solid brick when I was done. Unless USPS gets Hulk to smash it, those books are safe as they can be. Took me around 4 minutes total time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooh… just sold my 49 issue Batman Rebirth lot. Maybe I’ll take pics of the process. Good 'ol poyo nuclear proof packing technique… :wink:

3 Likes

please share pics of your packing, maybe tfaw can learn from your pics. thanks

I generally do not recommend pre-ordering anything from eBay that will not be sent in thirty (30) days.

1 Like

Reviewing hotshot comics today, I noticed they have TMNT Last Ronin 1:10 ratio 9.8 for $59.99. Considering it’s a $10 cover price and such a cool cover, I thought I’d share if anyone was after it. Ebay’s only pre-order 9.8 for this is starting at $110, which might be a bit optimistic.

I made my first purchase via hotshot yesterday. Bought a couple of books - at the time of purchase, one of the books only had the ‘fast track’ shipping option available (+ $10) - however the standard shipping option was once again available shortly after I had placed my order.

The seller was super quick to answer questions prior to my purchase but naturally, hasn’t responded to a single message of mine (2) since I placed my order (sent one immediately after placing the order when I noticed the restock on standard time frame and then a second one today, 24 hours later).

I asked if he could adjust the fast track book to standard and refund the difference. For the record, I made it clear that it wasn’t a big deal if he couldn’t change the order - just looking for a Yes or No answer.

Hope this is just a case of me being impatient and that he will respond to me soon.

Hey man good looking out but just thought I’d point out that the grade is not guaranteed to be a 9.8 on this one. The seller typically does not guarantee a 9.8 on ratio incentives. Condition notes on the listing also says that grade is not guaranteed to be a 9.8 so just FYI…

I didn’t spot that. VERY good callout.

1 Like

Quick update here regarding hotshot comics on eBay.

Although the seller hasn’t responded to either of my messages following my purchase, my request (explained earlier in this thread) was fulfilled and I was refunded the difference - just what I was looking for.

A response to my message would’ve been cool but I’ll take what I can get and what I got was good enough in this case. Happy customer so far.

This is why I pull my list directly from the LCS diamond box. Peace of mind. Marvel covers have really crappy paper.