Replaced staples

How does this affect grade when staples are replaced (not in original location but may be original staples)? Book would have been in about fine condition. Does this mean it automatically gets a purple label? It looks like the original staple holes fell apart and could no longer hold the comic together.

A seller shipped me this book in a bubble envelope without any cardboard padding and comic was loose in a polybag without a board :frowning: Other damage happened during shipping, but book was in overall good shape minus the staples and spine roll that was not disclosed.

Any help is appreciated because I do want to send to CGC, thank you!

I would say it has been restored. Regardless of the age of the replacement staples, they are not original.
If this was not disclosed to you, I might also suggest you look at the book closely for other “restoration” issues. Things like trimmed edges or color touch ups to the front cover.

1 Like

If it’s just staples I think it would get a conservation label not a restoration label

4 Likes

Best to send it cbcs it will be a normal label and say staples replaced

2 Likes

CGC will do that special conservation/preservation on a blue label, I think. I’m not positive, call them maybe to ask as it might be a case-by-case basis.

2 Likes

What book is it? Just curious.

1 Like

Yes, it would receive the conservation grade.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hero for Hire #1, about a 6.5 otherwise. I’ve never seen the conserved grade before, thank you all!

2 Likes

Was the price good? If closer to fair market value you may want to return it and get another one.

Thank you all again, seller made it right. I do not need to post on the ebay wall of shame, and I really hate leaving bad feedback, so all good now.

2 Likes

Very glad you were able to work it out.

1 Like