RIP Chadwick Boseman

Watched Black Panther again today, and I just don’t know where Marvel is going to go from here. Shuri is great, but to already not have a T’Challa doesn’t seem right. Boseman was perfect in the role. Recasting, if they do so, will be no easy feat.

1 Like

RIP Boseman, such a great actor.

Yeah, I do think it is too soon for Shuri and I know they want to honor Boseman but the only thing I can think of to make things work moving forward is to re-cast him.

Marvel Studios wont recast him.

Have they made that official? I know fans are saying they don’t want that but fans seldom get what they demand.

You say Marvel studios won’t recast him? Tell that to Terrence Howard.

Seriously though, if he battled colon cancer for 4 years I think some discussion was maybe privately had and certain scenes were possibly shot.

1 Like

I knew someone was going to bring up Terrence Howard.

He wasnt the lead in a franchise…so yea.

Plenty of stories in the comics of Shuri taking the BP mantle.

Remember, Leia was in episode 9. So they could always cgi him for a few scenes such that the mantel is passed on. It doesn’t have to be complicated. Just respectful.

1 Like

I highly doubt they would recast him. He got diagnosed in 2016. In order for him to act on a set, he would have to be insured, which would include a physical. I don’t see any way that Marvel didn’t know about his cancer, but the still kept him through the rest of the Infinity Saga. I’m going under the assumption that Marvel has some sort of plan on how to move forward already.

Eventually all these characters will get new actors/actresses portraying them. They’ll all get reboots… as we old people start to go… new generations will come. They’re not gonna just stop making movies. As long as the sun keeps coming up and Disney has shareholders… business continues despite the losses we endure along the way.

I would rather have a recast than CGI… Leia in Rogue was okay in a sense as it was only about 5 seconds. They also did a pretty good job for Tarkin, but he didn’t have a lot of screen time or potrayed as the main character either… so they could do his small parts in good taste.

I’ve heard Terrence Howard is also really hard to work with… I know he claims he was booted cause they tried to cut his pay but I think it went beyond that, from the rumors the wife heard from others who worked in that industry. IDK though… I liked the replacement, Cheadle is a much better actor I think… :slight_smile:

They don’t have to do either recast or cgi if they choose to continue the BP franchise. The best thing they could do is bring Killmonger back after Thanos, Hulk, and Ironman snaps do a Panther spirit kingdom scene with T’challa passing the mantle don’t even have to CGI if you don’t want just use the Panther suit CGI instead. That way your handing the lead to someone with big star power that can still make sense of the current MCU story line you also have that underwater explosion in Wakanda you could use to further explain have to be made changes. Shuri would be fine too but I see a lot of naysayers saying she couldn’t attract people to see a film of just her and she would be better off appearing in group film like Aforce.

It would be quite hard to hand the title to the villain of the first movie. He was literally killing them previously. That wouldn’t go over well. While MBJ is great, it just wouldn’t work.

Wait a few years and pick a new actor.

Or start the process with Shuri in other movies first to ease into it before giving her her own movie. Remember they introduced Black Panther in Civil War first.

The next Shuri appearance doesn’t need to be BP 2.

Yeah, I can’t see them using Killmonger to become Black Panther… he’s about as anti-Black Panther as they come…

But they did have that moment of Redemption at the end which I always thought was weird why do the sunrise scene just let Killmonger die on the tracks.

As King he did prepare Wakanda for war mobilizing the army and creating a weapon stock pile. They did then fight Thanos and his generals twice so some might say he’s also a hero of Wakanda. Where would of Wakanda’s defense been without Killmongers reign?

But they’re already past that in the movies. Just not going to happen… If they brought him back, I think most people would be like… WTF?

No one at Marvel knew about Boseman’s illness and until a week before he died he still planned on being in BP2.

Safe to say they didn’t have plans in place and likely will push off any decisions on the future of the character for a few years.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-grapples-with-how-to-proceed-on-black-panther-without-chadwick-boseman

2 Likes

Man…what an amazing fellow. To carry one like that while suffering. To continue to do good work, raise the spirit of others, visit sick children, take up causes. To hide that all those months. Ugggg.

I was a fan of him in that role…but that means little compared to the respect I have for him as a human being.

1 Like