Scam Alerts(?)

Hi guys, I came across something today that I want to hear our community’s thoughts on this. Been collecting comics on and off for over 30 years and I still learn something new every day. Here’s the video, go to 29:00 to the start of the discussion. Cliffs notes below.

Cliffs notes:

Bill’s at a convention and goes to comic legend Klaus Janson’s booth.
Flips though the pages of original inked art pages that Klaus has for sale.
Sees the inked cover art to Frank Miller’s Daredevil #179 (Klaus is the original inker)
Bill s##ts his pants
He asked Klaus how much it is
Klaus tells him $10K
Bill s##ts his pants again
Bill asked Klaus “is this an original?”
Klaus answers “yes”
Bill presses him again if it’s an original
Klaus gets annoyed and tells him this time it’s an “original copy”

So apparently Klaus made a copy of the original art by Miller and went over it again with his inks. Here’s where it gets murky because Klaus is the original inker of Daredevil 179. There’s 2 school of thoughts here. Since Klaus was part of the original art team with Miller, he can do whatever he wants and charges whatever he wants. I do agree with this, however I’m with Bill in that it came off very disingenuous on Klaus’ part that he didn’t disclose the fact that it was a copy the first time Bill inquired about it. He only fessed up afterwards when Bill asked him again. Told Bill that he should’ve known that it wasn’t an original because the original pencil and ink would’ve cost upwards of $75K.

What do you guys think? This is the seedy part of the industry that I really don’t like. It’s con season and now I wonder how many unsuspecting people have bought “original art” from the creators in the past and got swindled with a copy. You can say that one should do your own research before buying something like this but it doesn’t feel right to me and it’s not immediately apparent to someone even like me who’s been collecting for so long to know right away that it has to be a copy. Even a retailer like Bill wouldn’t know so how would someone new to the industry be able to protect themselves?

2 Likes

Yes it is. Buyer beware.

3 Likes

Klaus does not lie; but he doesn’t exactly tell the whole truth either.
As much as I love his work; I don’t go near him anymore.

The final time I did years ago he was trying to sell me Sacred Creatures and claimed it had been optioned for media. Was not happy as I am up-to-date on that stuff.

(Side Note: now watch someone on here say it actually was optioned and make me look foolish :rofl: :rofl: ). And I’ll say he’s still to be 1/2 trusted

2 Likes

Yikes. I think it’s messed up. You’re already a well known person in the industry, you don’t have to make shit up like that to get people to want your stuff. The only reason is to scam his fans, and that’s really sad.

3 Likes

He was disingenuous its original art but not the original Miller Drawing. Basically 10k for a tracing.

3 Likes

I had to fast forward to the conversation. That opening must be why he calls himself the sickness. A tiger spraying. Zooming in on random girls eating while he is yelling sick. Yeah. I want nothing to do with that. Just weird and creepy.

2 Likes

Internet in a nutshell!

1 Like

That’s why I gave you the timestamp of 29:00 to go to the conversation. It takes a special person to make it through an entire episode of Econ of Comics :joy:

1 Like

I had to click play at beginning to see what you all were talking about… WTF is wrong with this guy? He has to have the mentality of an 8 year old. Actually, scrap that, most 8 year olds I know are more mature than this man… I had to turn it off at 3:50 mark when he’s like… “oooo… there’s some boobs” from the cover on the comic. My gawd, how did this guy ever get popular? If you watch this guy, you are also special… and I’m not sorry for saying that publicly. Geez… stop linking to this guy and stop watching him, save some brain cells and IQ points…

4 Likes

Bill is kinda like @monopolyjackson , he can be grating to some but he gives us good info so we put up with it :joy:

Not to try and make you look foolish - just my usual correction on options - pretty much everything gets optioned (even if it’s just a free option to get the property into development), but the information isn’t made public, usually because the parties involved want to keep their powder dry until they’ve gotten close to greenlight, unless there’s benefit to them in announcing it immediately. So it’s entirely possible he was being truthful.

1 Like

I can’t deal with his long videos, but the short videos on FOC and this week’s releases are very useful and much more succinct.

He says that people watch his videos because they like comic books stories and not because he give people spoilers pre-ncbd. That’s sick! :rofl:

I’ve seen this guy sparsely here and there & each time he has that dopey hat on.
I wonder the same the same thing about him as I do with The Edge - do they ever wash the hat? :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I don’t think he’s anything like monopoly though, you can do all that he does without appearing to have the mental capacity of a immature perverted child… I’ll spare my IQ points and get my info elsewhere please.

1 Like