Shops that Re-Price at the Counter

This must’ve been Florida.

Or Australia…but they have crocodiles…not alligators that I recall.

Did Jason Aaron have a problem with this ? He should have !

Seems like a lot of shops in Canada are doing this or am I just hearing more stories from the Great North ?

Was this the Fabok signing for Three Jokers?

1 Like

I thought it was Jason Aaron at Heroes World ?

Yes, but he mentioned Three Jokers and I remembered hearing about the Fabok signing being horribly priced.

1 Like

bro what kind of comic shop has a a kangaroo and alligator? Sounds like some Florida man crap

2 Likes

Yes. He had a problem with this. Although, he wasn’t aware of the situation in the moment. He apologized on his insta-twit-book page.

Edit: it was Fabok, not Aaron.

1 Like

Ive never heard of this outside of this one instance. Im not sure what you’ve been hearing, so, I can’t speak to it. :beers:

From my understanding, the owner of the shop came into a decent amount of money in the 80s or 90s (lottery? Inheritance?). He then accumulated a shit ton of comics and toys, specifically WWF toys, then opened up this shop. It was a neat store to walk around. Lots of interesting collectibles and displays on 2 floors… including his animal pens.

Is it normal practice to have a creator signing at your store and charge a signing fee?

I guess I’ve been lucky as all the store signings in my area were free as the creator was there to promote and sell their books.

Yes and no. Normally the shop is paying the creator for X amount of signatures from what I’ve been told by a shop owner, this is why some shops might have a limit of 3 per person or require you buy a “title” from them to be signed, to help offset the costs.

Here’s my take, if it’s a small shop (local business), buy some merchandise from them if you’re there for a “free” signing since they paid the dues for the creator to be there. It’s a way to drive business to the shop, just like FCBD, shops are paying for those books. So buy something else while you’re there. While on a road trip, if I have to use the bathroom but don’t have to fill up, I always try to buy something for using their facilities. I feel guilty if I don’t. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking as well. Usually the shop has a ton of the creator’s work available at the shop for sale. These would sell like hotcakes on that day. Nothing but smiles for everybody.

I mean, as much as I despise Midtown. At NYCC they’d have creators signing books there for free so I’d just go look and see what books they have at their booth of the creator signing, buy and then go stand in line to get them to sign it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I always load up on snacks on a road trip.

Action Comics in Henderson. NV.

When you walk in the shop looks dusty, disorganized, and generally feels cluttered. They perimeter of the store is new releases, RECENT back issues (like within the last 4-5 months worth of books), trades, gaming (MAGIC, D&D, Pokémon, etc), and some figures and statues.

The middle of the store is a SEA on long boxes filled with single back issues, sets of back issues. I DO NOT RECALL ever seeing a sign that says we reserve the right to price according the current marker value. The only back issues I ever saw a price on were the premium ones on the wall behind the counter.

The art time I was there I picked up a copy of Sentry 4 along with issues 1 & 3, back when everyone was sure he was the God of Light. This was the only back issue I ever tried to purchase from them. They punched it into their computer and wanted to charge me $50 for the single hot book and cover for the others! I asked if they ere joking and they said “It says there is speculation that Donny Cates will reveal Sentry to be the God of Light and the price has gone up.” I told them they can keep it and I left with my copy of Superman (because my LCS was sold out) and I never looked back.

3 Likes

Was just asking because several posters besides you seem to be located in Canada ? Was wondering if this was a common practice there. Here (in the US) I’ve experienced it a few times, and it seems that many have too. Just curious - thanks for sharing.

It isn’t quite as big a sin as re-pricing at the counter, but what is with some comic shops that mark up all new releases an extra buck? Like, all the new comics that week are an extra buck for no good reason. Some throw in a bag and board for, “Free,” but some don’t. I avoid those stores.

I’ve never heard of that. I’ve seen some actually discount new releases though. Like 5 or 10%.

I know! It defies logic. My friend who drives a lot for work visited a shop in Illinois (the name escapes me) that marked basically anything new up a dollar but would, “Discount,” it if you made a pull list and put a title on it. So, if you have a subscription you get the privilege of paying retail.