Shops that Re-Price at the Counter

Feel free to call them out.

Shops, honor your sticker price!

or put up a sign that says you Reserve the right to reprice at the counter so we know not to waste our time.

Terrible business practice.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s Entertainment. Fitchburg, MA.

They also have a location in Worcester.

All Comics have pricetags. But no signs stating that they reserve the right to reprice at the register.

Be warned.

3 Likes

This is actually a great idea. List these shops here so we donā€™t bother to visit them when weā€™re on vacation.

Big Peteā€™s Collectibles - North Vancouver, Canada

Has price tags on the comics but will check the LISTING price on eBay (not sold prices) and price them accordingly. I noticed that only part of his back issues have prices on them, he mustā€™ve stopped pricing his current back issues altogether. On top of this practice, the owner is a giant turd. I have seen him cuss customers out and have dropped f bombs on his customers on his Facebook postings. Donā€™t waste your time at this store.

4 Likes

Am visiting my family in Markham Ont, Canada and was excited to visit

Heroes World - Markham Ont, Canada

Havenā€™t been there in a while so was excited to be there. Their back issues are in their back room and I noticed that there werenā€™t any comics with a price sticker on them. I then see a sign on the door that says back issue section is ā€œunder construction, comics will be priced accordingly at counterā€

The shop has been there for 12+ years but their back issues are ā€œunder constructionā€. I left right away and didnā€™t waste any more time there and havenā€™t been back. Itā€™s like 2 minutes away from where I am.

2 Likes

That is the excuse I was more or less given today and with other shops. They donā€™t have enough time to repriceā€¦so much inventory,

Are you trying to move inventory or run yourself out of business?

If this happens need to ask these shop owners Iā€™d theyā€™re going to lower any of the prices as well if they come up less. Let him think about that for a moment.

4 Likes

DJā€™s Cards and Comics

North Haven, CT.

They also limit you to one copy of everything. I had three young avengers #1 before it took off and they only let me purchase 1. At least I paid cover for that one.

Even books they have like 10 copies of, they limit. Iā€™ve tried to walk out with buying multiple true believers $1 books and was stopped.

Even shelf books that have been sitting behind a stack of newer issuesā€¦theyā€™ll mark them up.

This shop plays the spec gameā€¦so probably will read this.

Again,you trying to move inventory or not?

3 Likes

I never understand these stores that donā€™t want to price their books and move inventory. Have they ever gone shopping themselves during Black Friday? People love deals and will spend big money on stuff they donā€™t need if they think theyā€™re getting a deal.

Why is it so different for comic book shops? So what if a book gets hot all of a sudden because of some trailer and is selling for $25 but you have it priced at $5. Itā€™s been sitting in your back stock gathering dust for 10+ years that nobody was buying anyways. Not to mention you probably got it for $2 or less. Very strange.

2 Likes

Amazing Fantasy in San Francisco.
Great neighborhood, been going there since the early 90ā€™s, and itā€™s right near a tattoo shop I like.
But despite all those pros I will not be returning.

1 Like

Maverickā€™s in Kettering, Ohio.

1 Like

I love this thread!
This is great information and I hopethese shops see their blacklisted amongst a potential large portion of their buying base.

2 Likes

Yup, itā€™s like a Comic Shop Consumer Reportsā€¦

Weā€™re just looking for the best prices and donā€™t want to waste our time shopping at places that play games with their customers!

If I was a shop, I would price my inventory accordingly. Then after closing time or perhaps pick a day where the shop is closed, thatā€™s the day I see what in my current inventory has gone up or down, price it accordingly out on the floor shopā€¦ itā€™s not hard. I think most shops think theyā€™re saving time by making customers wait for them to look up and price at checkout time but all their really doing is losing out on a bunch of potential sales and future sales.

3 Likes

And yes, if a book that was hot but has cooled off comes down in price, I would likely start to drop my price on it. I want to sell the damn thing, not stare at it every day. Shit I want to stare at all the time I call my personal collection at home, not at my business!

2 Likes

Yup, DJā€™s Cards and Comics is the only place Iā€™ve ever experienced this. I found two copies of Agents of Atlas 3 second print with White Fox on the cover. There was no price, so I thought it was cover. He gets on his phone, takes a look and says theyā€™re $30 a piece. I said ā€œnahā€¦ā€ and ended up buying SWHRA #2 for cover. Iā€™ll never go back there.

2 Likes

Heroes World is the worst shop on the planet. They used to have a caged alligator and a caged albino kangaroo in that shop. It made me cry and call animal control when I saw it. (This was about 10 years ago). Heroes World was also the shop that had a signing with Jason Aaron for the release of the ā€˜3 Jokersā€™. They advertised one price for a sig, then jacked up the price on the day of when everyone showed up. Not only that, but they didnā€™t tell you the prices were jacked as you stood in line. You were told about the mark up after waiting in line for an hour. A lot of kids went home upset. My buddy was there that day, and said there were literally children crying in the streets because their parents wouldnā€™t pay the jacked up prices.

The Dragon, in Guelph, Ontario, also practices the ā€˜prices at the counter policyā€™. Beware.

3 Likes

Wow thatā€™s terrible regarding Heroes World. What a slimey shop. Not surprising, I got a bad vibe when I was there. The last time I was there they were at the Kennedy location, theyā€™ve since moved to Warden so havenā€™t been there in a while.

Thank you for calling animal control. If I saw a caged baby kangaroo and alligator in their shop I wouldā€™ve been livid and ripped them a new one.

What a horrible shop.

2 Likes

Yes it is. Hopefully a mod sticky this thread so this info can live forever. This info is extremely useful if weā€™re traveling and looking to visit some of these shops. Hopefully they alienate a large part of their customer base and in turn the good shops around their area pick up some of the business.

No joke, I was planning to move back into my hometown soon to be closer to family. I walked into Heroes World this week specifically to check them out and see how theyā€™re doing. Was going to open up a pull box subscription service with them since theyā€™re the closest shop in my neighborhood. After visited their shop and what Iā€™ve read here Iā€™m never setting foot in that shop ever again.

2 Likes

Done!

3 Likes

I know I wonā€™t be visiting any of these places in my travels, so this is a helpful topic.

3 Likes

There was a room on the 2nd floor that was probably 20ā€™ Ɨ 20ā€™ Ɨ 10ā€™ that had a plexiglass wall. Thats what the kangaroo lived in. There was feces all over the floor, and the animal looked sad af. Just clarifying that it wasnā€™t a ā€˜cageā€™ cage, but a small room. The alligator was in a similar room, but smaller, on the first floor. I think he had them legally though. Not sure how long that lasted. Anyways, :beers: