Sports cards

Yup. Barry Bonds*
(Please note the asterisk)

Rose didnt cheat the game like the steroid guys did. Rose deserves the HOF, imo.

Depends on what you believe to be the extent of his gambling. As a player/coach he could definitely help change the outcomes of games. He was definitely a degenerate gambler so I believe he bet on his games too.

As for Bonds, asterisks or not, his name is still all over the record books. He was the best player in the game but his ego couldn’t take guys like Sosa and McGwire upstaging him with the longball. The best player in the game just became even better with the use of PEDs. I think if he was one of only a handful of cheaters I could join the lynch mob. In my opinion, he was just one of the majority, so I am more desensitized to the he was just a cheat. Anyhoo, my PSA 10 collection, that includes many cheaters sure hasn’t lost secondary market steam. High grade cards of rare releases like Tiffany sets and refractors for example have an insatiable market. Asterisks or not. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The steroid era / HOF debate is one for the ages. There are definitely two distinct camps on the subject.
I dont collect cards, but I have enjoyed and closely followed the 4 NA pro sports leagues for most of my 40 years on this planet. Ive very much enjoyed the sports talk with you guys.

To me, the extent of the gambling has no affect on how I feel about Roses’ situation. Even if he was trying to manipulate the games he managed, in order to benefit his opponent, if he bet against the Reds, then that doesnt reflect the numbers he put up as a player. Which is what the HOF is about. Career impact. The steroid guys messed with the stats. Hank didnt take roids to get his HR record. Bonds did. Rose didnt.
I do understand that Rose could have very slightly affected the numbers by benching a player that may not have deserved to be benched, but I can guarantee no Reds player, on Roses team, ever struck out because Rose told him to. The players still played. Sorry if that is convoluted.

Ditto. Opinions, we all have them , and seldom can you get everyone to agree on a particular topic.

1 Like