Store variants making a comeback?

I got to say it’s been sometime since I could put up a cover A of a store variant and sell it for 3x what I paid in no less than15 minutes incredibly. I haven’t sold comics in about 2 1/2 years but after listing the PS4, psvr, Xbox 1, switch, and all the games on Mercari because the pending new systems I said f*** it put up my two trade cover Venom #25 Horn variants and the Spidermen II #1 Turner SDCC cover A and B. First the game systems immediately sold which I was shocked since we are on the cusp of the new systems my Nintendo switch alone went for full price what I paid 2 years ago. This is mercari things use to take a month to sale and apparently a lot more people use it since I last did all that time ago. So I list the comics cover A’s I would be happy just to sell one because I got the virgins for those books. I’m forced to buy those A covers and use to be so hard to get rid of them lucky to get $10-$15 well these store variant cover A’s I listed instantly sold like wowzers. Also a little bonus as digging through my boxes for the Turner variants ran across one of my ASM #210’s and its gem mint I would be shock if it’s not a 9.8 I didn’t pull it out to look at the back cover yet though. Store variants I was real good at, and made a lot of money. I would get just as pissed as Rick if I didn’t get something that was hot😜 So are store variants back what do you think?

1 Like

The main reason these books are ‘selling out’, imo, is because the artist is popular and the indie store variants typically have a lower print run. I would need to see a Marvel store variant (minimum 3000 printed) by Peach sell out before I would consider store variants to be relevant in any form. And it will take a few years, perhaps a decade or two, to see just how long these legs are on this round of ‘the next big thing’.

@alana I believe so, but I generally just think comics/collectibles/mass media are crazy hot in general. I realize the world is in a weird place, but I just really (in my own little area/observations/private bubble) haven’t seen a negative impact from the perspective of people buying “stuff”. There are many folks I know that actually have an insane amount more money than what they ever had before this COVID deal. I’m not making light of those going through tough times. I understand that side also exists. However, the whole $600 bucks on top of unemployment every single week…also put an awful lot of disposable income into an awful lot of pockets. Not to mention the stimulus. I absolutely know people who put that money into comics/fun stuff.

Sorry, I get wordy…so yes…variants are making a comeback…but hot books/FOMO books/classic characters and storylines…the demand is there and hasn’t gone away. There is very little that won’t sell. You also have an entire comic/collector community that isn’t spending money at conventions/cons/sporting events/concerts…that money is also being spent via online purchases right now.

People love buying up used game systems. I recall about a year or two back, the Wii was seeing sales above it’s original retail price.

Yup. I love buying game systems. Right now I’m looking for an original Nintendo. Hard to come by and when they are available, they are all beat up or to expensive. I’m a picky person when it comes to that.

Damn, stores are desperate now for fast cash… they are sucking the well dry and digging deeper…

2 Likes

Love the use of quotes. I sure do, “Love,” This, “Reprint.”

I am a Will Jack fan and considering getting that… but the raw set at 79?

They must be losing their minds with that pricing on the Will Jack set.

1 Like

Screw that. Holding out for the foil facsimile…