The Tin Foil Spec

Greetings and jamutations, CHUsters! What is this, a crossover episode? You betcha! The Tin Hat is back, and this time, he’s crossing over into the many multiverses of the speculation web-verse! Special thanks to the CHU admins for letting me post here. Starting right now, The Tin Foil Spec will be shared on the CHU forums! The Tin Foil Spec will also be posted on CBSI, and of course, in the Tin Hat’s own website, banditocomics.com.

Some of ya’ll know the drill, others will wonder what’s going on. To all of you, I bid you welcome! The Tin Foil Spec is The Tin Hat’s attempt at picking out books that will heat up base on Previews solicitations. There is no fancy algorithm here at work; it’s comes from my tin foil-covered brain. So sit back, relax, and open a Lone Star (inflation has made IPAs too expensive), and let’s delve into the June 2022 Previews!

MARVEL

Amazing Spider-Man #7 & #8 - Web-Heads breathed a sigh of relief this past week as Joe Quesada announced that he was leaving Marvel. While his initial influence provided a huge breath of fresh air for Marvel, his eventual long-term stay soured fans. Can Spider-Man finally grow up and have some sort of an adult life, or will Marvel continue keeping him unhappy? Either way, that Dell’Otto variant is sweet!

Avengers & Moon Girl #1 - Marvel and Disney are ready to unleash the behemoth that is Moon Girl! Sure, her books didn’t crack giant sales numbers, but she is a constant fan favorite, especially at Scholastic Book Sales! The smartest character in the Marvel universe teams up with the mighty Avengers! As first appearances continue to go up, first team-ups are all the rage.

Carnage #5 - What Carnage has taught us is that he has new fans born every minute! His books eventually start petering out in print run over time but that only means his future fans will seek them out down the line! Plus, this is a great cover by Kunkka! This series can become like the Clayton Crain cover run from a few years ago.

Miles Morales Spider-Man #40 - Anything Miles should be an instant grab. Doesn’t matter if it’s his 1st volume or 4th one, everything eventually heats up. Selim is back, and this time, Miles looks to take him out for good!

Ms. Marvel & Wolverine #1 - Kamala’s powers and origin will see a shift in the Disney Plus series. Will they try to tie her close to the X-Men instead of the Inhumans? Either way, pick up a few copies of this one.

Predator #1 - Pick your favorite cover (it’s the Rahzzah one, isn’t it?) and get ready for a bloody battle! Marvel’s Predator comic is finally here! This is sure to be a fun read.

Gwen-Verse #5 - Hey, if Spider-Verse #6 can blow up to a crazy value, why not the last issue in this run? Grab a couple and stash away just in case.

Star Wars Mandalorian #2 - Issue one is guaranteed to have a bajillion print run, and there’s a good chance every issue in this series will have store exclusives. However, this one has an awesome main cover by Kaare Andrews featuring Mando and Grogu. Grab a couple, and as always, get the later print runs.

Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi #3 - This one is for Clone Wars fans. Looks like we’ll get some good story and promising art for one of Kenobi’s memorable battles on the front lines.

X-Men #13 - Pointing this out for the awesome Art Adams variant.

DC

Batman #125 - This one is for the readers. Zdarsky is sure to always be a hit. Only pick one up. Those ratios are insane.

Batman: White Knight Presents: Red Hood #1 - I’ll always highlight Mr. Murphy’s work. But what’s up with DC’s ratios all of a sudden? I step away for a few months, and DC goes berserk!

Catwoman #45 - Frison never disappoints and that might just be Sozomaika’s best cover so far. Order 25 Frison’s to get 1 of Sozomaika.

Superman: Son of Kal-El #13 - The debut of Dreamer! Her comic first appearance was in last year’s DC Pride issue, and it looks like she’s ready to make her full debut in the DC proper universe. Make sure to have a few of these on hold.

Rogues’ Gallery - This one is a no-brainer. Hannah Rose is an actress who has appeared on shows like Shooter and Altered Carbon. You all remember the motto, right? Buy now, flip for $20 when the option gets announced.

9 Likes

As you noticed, the Tin Foil Spec will be more streamlined now, mainly focusing on Marvel, DC, and the bigger indie publishers. I know, I know, you all enjoyed when I went on a full deep dive. However, in the interest of sanity, this will be The Tin Hat’s new format.

Every time I write a new Tin Foil Spec, I’ll just add it as a reply to this thread. This way, I don’t clutter up the forums with multiple new threads.

Finally, shameless plug, if you are in Austin, TX, make sure to place all of your Tin Foil Spec pre-orders with King’s Cache! Subscribers can get a 15% discount.

2 Likes

I can vouch for them as well, good folks and great shop!

2 Likes

I enjoy the uses of tin foil. I have enjoyed your stuff elsewhere, so looking forward to the ideas you come up with.

1 Like

Good tips ! Are you talking about the regular trade Predator 1 Rahzzah or the store exclusive ?

Meh, IPAs are an overrated easy button when you want flavor and don’t know what else to drink. May as well branch out.

1 Like

My favorite recent use is to cover a flaky pastry pie crust so it doesn’t burn, while letting the rest continue to cook.

Palette covers as well for kids. Just wrap your plate and they can put acrylics on there.

I am curious to see what others % is for using Tin Foil to spec. For me, I would say I am probably 40% foil and guess, 50% research and about 10% what the hell.

1 Like

Regular trade. For cover price, I think that’s a sweet cover to tuck away.

1 Like

It’s like drinking flowers. Give me some proper mead and ale any day

How’s it going, CHUsters! Here are my picks for August 2022.

MARVEL

Amazing Fantasy #1000 - Before we get to Amazing Spider-Man #1000, we get Amazing Fantasy #1000! Marvel is throwing a giant birthday bash for Spider-Man as he turns 60! Also, we get a new Spidey villain! Ooooooh. Surprisingly, not a lot of variant covers listed in the Previews. They can always add more later, but this also means that there will be a plethora of store variants. Grab your favorite cover but do not overpay. This print run will be inflated. It will more than likely also have 2nd and 3rd printings.

Damage Control #1 - This one is a no-brainer, Tin Hatters. Only 2 covers, possibly lower print run because it’s not a traditional superhero #1 reboot, and maybe (maybe) no store variants because it’s a relatively smaller book. But, you do have 2 writers with TV industry ties, Adam F. Goldberg (The Goldbergs) and Charlotte Fullerton (Ben 10: Omniverse). Plus, there’s also a new main character introduced! You know this will be a D+ show soon.

Edge of Spider-Verse #1 - #3 - This almost feels like cheating. Get multiples of each! Even if there’s a big print run due to store variants, these characters will eventually make their way onto the Spider-Verse screen.

Miles Morales Spder-Man #41 - Only pointing this out for the nice variant cover. If you like to collect homages to Ditko’s works, get one for the PC.

Star Wars Bounty Hunters #26 - Reva Sevander may not have gotten the best writing in the recent Kenobi series, but Sprouse is putting out a variant with her on the cover. Get a few.

DC

Batman #126 - DC is going sexy! Some of these solicitations will have swimsuit variant covers. I’d say collect them all. You never know when somebody 10 years from now will pay top dolla to complete their 2022 DC swimsuit run. Why does Bruce keep the cowl on at the beach? I want to see what that suntan looks like at the end of the day.

DCeased: War of the Undead Gods #1 - Tom Taylor returns for the final chapter in his DCeased storyline (until they throw more money at him). It’s been a fun ride. This will be a great read. Get your favorite cover.

Poison Ivy #3 - DC is doing their best to put the biggest artists on every cover for this series. Also, a swimsuit cover.

The Sandman #1 Facsimile Edition - Facsimile editions tend to do well over time. Netflix’s The Sandman will drop in August, so you might as well pick up a few of these. You might be able to flip them for $20 down the road.

Detective Comics #27 Facsimile Edition - Another facsimile! However, this one is a no brainer. Action Comics #1 may have come first, but there’s no denying that Detective Comics #27 is right there alongside it. For some people, it has an even higher status. Same thing as before. Grab a few and sell them for $20 down the line.

Harley Quinn #18 - #21 & 2022 Annual #1 - Harley Quinn made her debut in the Batman Animated Series on September 11, 1992. That means her 30th birthday is coming up! DC is sure getting ready for it by pumping out all of these variant homage covers back to back. These are perfect PC grabs for Harley fans. Issue 21’s cover is the same artwork that was used on the 25th Anniversary Special that was only released in Mexico, Spain, and Germany. Also, it has a swimsuit cover.

Action Comics #1046 - Another swimsuit variant! Artgerm knows what he’s doing.

Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #6 - A tamer swimsuit cover. But you’ll need it to complete the run.

Black Adam #3 - Emanuela Lupacchino gives us a glimpse of how Black Adam winds down with this swimsuit variant.

Catwoman #46 - Jeff Dékal recently got a bit of heat as speculators rushed to his early work, so you know you have to pick up this swimsuit variant.

Deathstroke Inc. #12 - Deathstroke is ready for the Batman tan lines with this swimsuit cover.

Nighwing #95 - No swimsuit collection would be complete without Dick Grayson’s glory.

Nubia: Queen of the Amazons #3 - Derrick Chew shows us a glimpse into Amazon sports competition with this spiking swimsuit cover.

Love Everlasting #1 - Tom King writing romance comics? Um, yes please! Joan Peterson is trapped in a Groundhog Day-like world. Except, it’s more like Palm Springs in which she dies a horrible death only to start again. But unlike either of those two films, instead of starting the same day again, she finds herself on another world, destined to fall in love and die again. This has HBO written all over it (and not just because I got a Sharpie and scribbled on the cover).

The Dead Lucky #1 - This may be Melissa Flores’ first full comic, but she has ties to the entertainment industry. Specifically, she helped navigate the Power Rangers franchise for almost 10 years. Her comic will also be part of the Massive-Verse which kicked off earlier this year with Supermassive #1. Make sure to pick up that issue if you plan to spec on this series.

Golden Rage #1 - An island full of older women, deemed useless to society, where they eventually have giant battle royale fights? Netflix, we’ve found your next franchise.

Deadly Class #56 - Pointing this out since it’s the final issue. What a run! I still hate Syfy.

Dark Horse

Survival Street #1 - A bunch of muppets traveling the war-torn country while educating children? Hell yeah! The original press release said that this series is brought to you by the letters F, U, K, and D. Maybe that was too hardcore to post in the Previews? How much more hardcore will the pages be?

BOOM!

Power Rangers Unlimited: The Death Ranger #1 - Who, or what, is The Death Ranger? Power Rangers comics ebb and flow in the spec world, and first appearances can randomly shoot up. Grab a few and stash them.

IDW

TMNT: Best of Baxter Stockman - For those still collecting these TMNT Best Of, this one is for you. The use of the white negative space is amazing on this.

Remember, you can always read The Tin Hat’s blogs at banditocomics.com.

Until next time, Tin Hatters! Look up into the sky, rock the ages, fight with the swordfish, and farewell from the world of tomorrow!

8 Likes

Was ‘Deadly Class’ the best tv show I’ve ever seen? No, but I did enjoy watching it during that one season it had on Syfy.

3 Likes

The casting was damn near perfect! I was ready to see everyone grow into their characters. Then, nada, they pulled the plug.

3 Likes

I’m excited for, “Damage Control,” as well as, “Golden Rage,” and that Tom King Love book.

1 Like

How’s it going, CHUsters?! Here is the Tin Foil Spec for September 2022:

MARVEL

All-Out Avengers #1 - Another shocking and twisting new series produced by the Marvel brass! Pointing this out for the killer Skottie Young variant. His covers do well over time, and who doesn’t love a good ol’ Young-ified Blade?

Amazing Spider-Man #1 (facsimile) - Did you know that Amazing Fantasy #15 facsimile sells for over $70?! Well, one buyer got caught up in the bidding frenzy lately as a copy ended at $76. Get a bunch of these. You’ll be able to sell them to feverish FOMO buyers a year from now.

Amazing Spider-Man #9 - Gleason puts out another one of his variants. No preview image on Previews, but if it’s another web-head profile, you’ll be thankful that you ordered ahead.

Edge of Spider-Verse #4 & #5 - More easy pickings here. Go heavy on the final issue! Like, seriously, order 25 copies. We get a brand new character created by Lord and Miller themselves.

Ms. Marvel & Venom #1 - First team up for Ms. Marvel and Venom! This is sure to be a key book 3 years from now!

Spider-Punk #5 - The Punk-Verse comes to an end for now. We’ve seen teases of Venom-Punk. Will we see him in his full glory here? It’s a first cover appearance at least.

Star Wars #27 - Pointing this out for the Sprouse variant. We don’t get too much media with Leia wielding her saber. After the small Rise of Skywalker scene, I figured we would’ve gotten bombarded with it, but it doesn’t look like it. Get a few.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #27 - Another wicked Sprouse variant. Get that Dooku!

Star Wars: Darth Vader #27 & Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #24 - Pointing these out because they also have Sprouse variants, but there is no image yet on Previews. You never know what surprises and fan-popular characters they’ll throw out, especially on these titles that don’t get heavily ordered. If you’re a gambling person, get a few of these.

Star Wars: Visions #1 - This one is a no-brainer. The best episode of Star Wars: Visions was the first one. The return of the Ronin! Grab 20.

DC

Action Comics #1 (facsimile) - Boy, there sure was a lot of Batman before I got to this book. All of those high ratio variants that DC is pumping out makes it hard to spec. Sure, I can just say to get the 1:25 and 1:50 for each of those issues but that’s just tiring. Ya’ll do ya’ll. In the meantime, definitely get this facsimile. This will provide better quick-flip opportunities than trying to hound down a ratio variant at cover price.

Catwoman #47 - Aside from the ratio, the regular covers provide good quick-flip opportunities. Dekal does the main cover, and Sozomaika is now doing non-ratio variant covers. Sozomaika fans will breathe a sigh of relief as they’ll be able to collect her covers with ease.

Ten Thousand Black Feathers #1 - Jeff Lemire gave us a tease of his new shared horror universe on FCBD, and the graphic novel The Passageway pushed us forward. Now, the first floppies of this universe make their way onto our eager little hands. Lemire’s work always gets optioned, although so far, only Sweet Tooth has made it on the small screen. Still, you can easily flip his #1’s for $20 down the line. Get a few of these.

Creepshow #1 - While not the first issue of Creepshow, it is the first issue based on the current Shudder TV series. Also, we get a story from Paul Dini inside it! This is sure to be a fun read for horror fans.

Vanish #1 - Donny Cates brings his newest creator-owned book to Image. This book is sure to have tons of variants, so only get a few. Flip it for $20 when it gets an option announcement.

Flawed #1 - Image is sure pumping out tons of #1’s this month. Chuck Brown, one of the writers on Bitter Root, brings us a tale about a psychiatrist who takes matters into her own hands. This one is a must to speculate on.

DARK HORSE

Maskerade #1 - Kevin Smith returns to comics with Maskerade! Smith has enjoyed returning to his somewhat indie roots, as his movies now tend to be crowdsourced and taken on the road instead of a traditional release. He still has his fans, so there’s a good chance this will be a good spec book. Plus, with the amount of connections that he still has in the industry, I wouldn’t be surprised if this gets optioned.

BOOM!

Briar #1 - Channeling the Brothers Grimm stories, Briar attempts to weave a dark and twisted tale based on Sleeping Beauty.

Stuff of Nightmares #1 - R.L. Stine returns to comics with this very interesting anthology series. You also have Francavilla doing the main cover! Not bad. The solicit also says to look out for a variant that includes an R.L. Stine signature? That’ll probably end up being a website exclusive or something.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #100 - This one is for all of the Rangers fans. The BOOM series makes it to the huge milestone 100th issue! Also, it looks like these books will have random trading cards inserted? Let the hunting begin!

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Megazord Pack #1 - Keeping with the Ranger hype, this pack includes reprints of seminal Ranger moments from BOOM’s run. Each issue will contain an exclusive variant. Pick one up and tuck it away.

IDW

Earthdivers #1 - The year is 2112, and humanity is on the brink of extinction. Apparently, the only way to save us is to send an assassin, Terminator style, to kill Christopher Columbus! Whaaaaat? Well, I’m interested. Let’s see how this goes.

TMNT #113 - More Turtles? Are they clones? Evil versions? And where is Leonardo?

Remember, you can always read The Tin Hat’s blogs at banditocomics.com

Until next time, Tin Hatters! Look up into the sky, toss the pizza, consume it all, and farewell from the world of tomorrow!

12 Likes

@TheTinHat you still doing spec lists ?

Ill try to resurrect this thread…

Anyone collect last issues ? I sure do. There are 2 upcoming books Im looking at & buying.

Resident Evil Infinite Darkness The Beginning #5

X-O MANOWAR UNCONQUERED #6

Both are last issues from indie publishers. Interest has slowly died on the properties. I love that Alien took over Valiant, reminds me of when Acclaim did. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

With Savage Sabretooth appearing in Wolverine #47, good time to pick up the 1st appearance in Sabretooth and the Exiles #5

2 Likes

The last issue was good. savage Sabretooth cut the jaw off X-23. I mean nothing happens in the story but it was cool.

Next issue they are supposed to throw down so see if she sticks around as a character.

1 Like

ACTION COMICS #1065 CVR F INC 1:25 MARK SPEARS CARD STOCK VAR (HOUSE OF BRAINIAC)

1st cover for Brainiac Queen ?

1 Like