Thinning the collection

As our collections grow, storage space becomes a problem. I’m not there quite yet, but I want to start purging the unwanted books a few times a year before it becomes a bigger problem. Before 2022, I want to make the first of these collection cleanups.

So, my question to you all is what do YOU do? Do you just live buried under 100,000 books? Sure, you can sell books that are sellable, but what about the duds? Books you don’t care about and aren’t likely to take off? Shops don’t want them. Do half-priced bookstores buy the drek? Do you just drop off at a Goodwill and claim a tax deduction? Donate to another cause? Set on fire in your back yard?

If I could even ditch a couple books per short box, I’d feel pretty good about that.

Thoughts?

I sold 35 boxes off last year at a combined personal Yard Sale advertised within Craigslist/Facebook AND THEN a subsequent Flea Market.
At the Flea Market 1 individual approached me at the end of the day for the remaining Drek I had and made an offer I couldn’t refuse to take the remaining boxes.

2 Likes

What percentage of your collection did that represent?

About 40% roughly.

What I didn’t mention is the EXHAUSTING effort to go through all the boxes and separate true, real drek, vs. stuff that is worth money, could be worth money, or is something I want to keep because I like.
It was honestly painful

3 Likes

I’ve done Half Price Books drop offs to purge the indies and books that will likely never be flip for profit worthy. I normally will take the cash and go buy lunch or dinner for the family.

3 Likes

I sold off the key pieces in my collection and moved on to original comic book art. Most of my comic book buying now is spec-related to fund my original comic book art collection.

4 Likes

See, that’s what I want to avoid. Having a massive purge like that. But, I also can convince myself that I like nearly all of the books I have. :joy: So, I need to start making cuts now to get more used to the practice.

1 Like

Anthony the comic art guy shoots long boxes of different age Marvel and dc books to see which paper is better quality and stops the bullet first.

3 Likes

I make a New Years resolution to end up with less books at then end of where I started…then fail miserably…

2 Likes

I tried doing the same thing last year lol. I think I have bought more books this year then any other year lol…

1 Like

I’ve cut my spending drastically because I have will power… But I did end up spending way more money on silver coins though, damn you US Mint for producing all those Morgan and Peace 2021 dollars… And changing up the design of the ASE coins as well…

If the prices for the books are higher than what they cost, you have done well.
The good thing is even if the above is not true, you have done well. LOL

1 Like

I cut back on incentives quite a bit. I hoped to keep a few and flip a few, but I got most of them from TFAW, and by the time they showed up, the heat was off many of them. Now, I just found a local option for incentives at a great price, so I might be ramping that back up a little. TBD.

3 Likes

Anyone else here a compete and utter lunatic when it comes to organizing the collection? It definitely scratches some obsessive itch for me.

Things like insane excel docs, neatly organized short boxes, labels on books designating incentives and exclusives? If so, share your ideas. I’m always looking for the next way to refine the collection.

1 Like

As someone who would sell when the related movie comes out, I group my comics by character / team for easy access when selling. Just sold both of my Eternals #3 copies at a loss.

1 Like

49b68d79901f873813643426c93126884583b6cc

7a9

1 Like