Todd McFarlane Announces Spawn Universe

I like the name. You should write it

Itā€™s their official name: Chain Gang

1 Like

1 Like

This wasnā€™t the major announcement I expected to happen during ComicsPro.

Any chance he brings Haunt into the mix?

2 Likes

I would love to see Haunt return

3 Likes

Spawn #319 is apparently the prelude, jumping on point, or at any rate an issue of ā€œseed plantingā€:

SPAWN #319

(W) Todd McFarlane (A) Carlo Barberi (CA) Bjorn Barends

This is where it all starts, folks! This month in the pages of SPAWN #319 we plant the ā€œseedā€ that will grow into the new SPAWNā€™S UNIVERSE: #1 (also available this month)!

Yes, the publishing world of SPAWN is officially expanding! And this is the jumping-on point for new readers! New threats, new allies, and more importantly new titles!

In Shops: Jun 23, 2021

3 Likes

I donā€™t think Haunt can return. I think McFarlane lost a lawsuit with Marvel about that character.

Maybe notā€¦I canā€™t find anything on it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Haunt is/was I think co-created by Robert Kirkman if Iā€™m not mistaken. The whole Marvel thing was likely the Gaiman lawsuit where he won Angela and few other characters cause Todd tried to F him in the rights to Miracleman that he didnā€™t even properly own himself.

Always read the fine print ladies and gentlemen when it comes to copyright ownership before you go try and go using it in bargaining with othersā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

The Gaiman/McFarlane Angela lawsuit is actually a fascinating case taught in Copyright law classes and deals with the issue of what constitutes ā€œauthorship.ā€ Seeing as a comic book is a collaborative effort between writers and artists, who truly owns the character? This is a particularly thorny issue in creator-owned comics, not so much in work for hire over at Marvel and DC where your copyright ownership (if any) is assigned to the corporation.

When I graduated law school I gave the first appearance of Angela to my copyright professor.

4 Likes

Hahaā€¦ this made me sort of snicker a little insideā€¦

From WashingtonPost:

As for the duration of the case, Gaiman tells us: ā€œIt took a ridiculous amount of time.ā€
Gaiman notes that he hasnā€™t seen McFarlane since the settlement.
ā€œBut every time I would run into Todd in a courtroom,ā€ Gaiman says, ā€he looked a little more sad.ā€

We need a Sad McFarlane meme nowā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Is this sad enough, or do we need to get sadder?

1 Like

Yeah, that looks more like resting bittch faceā€¦ ā€œResting Todd Faceā€??

1 Like

He actually smiles like 99.45% of the time.

1 Like

No. Iā€™m misremembering something else. Iā€™m fully aware of the Gaiman/Angela thing.
I thought I read somewhere once that Haunt was too similiar to the Symbiotes, or something like that, and the book was ultimately cancelled after the lawsuit was lost. But, like I said, I canā€™t find anything on it. I think Iā€™m mashing real and fake memories together. Puff puff pass, jcLuā€¦

2 Likes

I think so tooā€¦ cause there is absolutely nothing on Haunt and Marvel.

1 Like

Sometimes these things have a way of being quietly resolved without court filings. If so, weā€™d never see the end of that story.

1 Like

and 5 years laterā€¦

" Misery by Todd McFarlane and Syzmon Kudranski. Misery is coming. The series will focus on Cyan, the daughter of Wanda and Terry Fitzgerald, all grown up with powers where she can affect peopleā€™s emotions and pain with just a touch, and make them feel othersā€™ pain. Though she also feels it at the same time."

1 Like

And 5 years from now weā€™ll probably get the same news yet againā€¦ haha

3 Likes