Warner releasing all of its 2021 movies simultaneously on HBO Max

WB move straight to streaming was a terrible decision. Watch Disney and other studios mop the floor with them.

If someone is at the cinema, and choosing between movies, would they rather watch a movie currently available on streaming or another movie that is not.

Additionally, many directors and stars (especially those with deals to get a cut of the box office) that want to be seen on the big screen, will not work with them.

I doubt it will be a permanent thing. Too many drawbacks.

As for cinemas, they have been declining for years, but I still rather watch some blockbuster movies there, heck I would pay to watch the Mandalorian in a cinema.

Iā€™d say most donā€™t care where it ends up on movie theaters or streaming at home. Just being recognized for their work at awards ceremonies is the real reward (for directors) and most actors get paid no matter so if it makes it or not, they got paid.

Since the announcement (and possibly a while before that), Nolan and Gunn already have voiced their displeasure.

ā€œSome of our industryā€™s biggest filmmakers and most important movie stars went to bed the night before thinking they were working for the greatest movie studio and woke up to find out they were working for the worst streaming service,ā€ - Nolan

Additionally, the Directors Guild of America (DGA) reportedly sent a ā€˜strongly worded letterā€™ regarding the move with a meeting requested to discuss.

1 Like

I could see most directors caring more about such thing, actors and actresses not as much. My wife worked on a lot of movies and shows, it is normally the directors who are the picky ones out of the bunchā€¦ most of the others just want to go in, do their jobs and move on to the next projectā€¦

But this goes to show this asswipes priorities. Weā€™re in a pandemic and if they care more about where the movie lands, kind of tells one what type of person they are. If they truly think Iā€™m gonna go rush out to a crowded theater to see their movie and possibly catch a virus that could potentially kill me, Nolan and Gunn can kiss my assā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

If actors and directors keep complaining and holding onto old,outdated ideologies, theyā€™re gonna be out of work.

3 Likes

The only real reason I could see a director or actor being pissed is if part of their pay is a percentage of the theater run. So if you see anyone proclaiming itā€™s ā€œabout the experience,ā€ I call BS.

1 Like

Going forward, if they take this route, they need to rework their contracts. :wink:

1 Like

Today was ATT investor day here is their HBO Max update for those that are following:

120-150 million HBO Max/HBO subscribers by 2025. AT&T expects between 120 million and 150 million worldwide HBO Max and HBO subscribers by the end of 2025, up from the 75-90 million projected in October 2019.1

Love me some HBO Maxā€¦but yaā€™ll need to get out to AMC theatres lol.

Iā€™m holding far too many shares of AMC and this old man has ā€œultra diamond handsā€.

Between comics and my ā€œSTONKSā€ Iā€™ll be in Hawaii before I know it!!!

1 Like

Portland is Regal-town unfortunately.

1 Like

I donā€™t think HBO Max has enough going for it for me to sub. Will probably catch the movies I want in theaters or just download them. It sounds like they are getting really desperate for subs and this will definitely give them a bump. Not sure about the numbers though, they sound too optimistic, then again 2025 is a long ways away.

I will probably just keep my Netflix and Disney+ subs.

HBO Max has Rick and Morty. That covers the cost. Everything else is free.

And donā€™t say the Adult Swim app. That thing is a trainwreck.

You post on footballguys?

We get HBO MAX for free with our AT&T phone. It has some decent stuff.

1 Like

@Stan Not me/nope