When did PREVIEW became 1st Appearance

True. Marvel Previews even have a cover price like a regular comic book…

1 Like

They have the issues where it costs money and has preview pages and then they have the Preview Soliciations of upcoming books that are free with no cover price. I think the ones that you pay for hold more weight over the others.

1 Like

Strange Academy first appeared in the January 2020 Marvel Previews. Came out way before Thor 2 and the other Marvel books that have that same preview.

1 Like

I never will accept a catalogue as a 1st appearance.

7 Likes

I’m in the same boat. When it’s meant to “advertise”… just doesn’t have the same feeling for me. I’d never pay premium for a comic book advertisement, never!

1 Like

Ditto.
Although I have no problem purchasing advertisements on the cheap to resell to those that think it’s something to have. It’s not the 1st time in history that snake oil has been sold :wink:

1 Like

Oh for sure, if there’s a previews (free or cheap) that people are paying crazy prices for and I know I can sell at profit, I’ll pick it up to flip.

2 Likes

Long answer…no. lol :beers:

1 Like

But, Previews is missing an actual story in it, like a comic book would have. It’s the guts of the book that makes it a comic book, not the size of the book, or the fact it has a price on the cover, imo. :beers:

There are plenty of examples of cover appearances that predate the character appearing in a story, and in many cases those cover appearances are very valuable. That’s not much different than a previews cover appearance in that in both cases, the character appears for the first time on the cover but has yet to appear in any story inside a comic book.

Like I said though, in most cases the previews will not be too sought after but for characters who become iconic, they could blow up under certain conditions. For me, the main conditions are scarcity and cover appearance.

Not much different, but different none the less. A donkey isn’t much different than a horse, but you’ll never see a donkey win the Kentucky Derby. :beers:

I’m sure there are people who would pay big bucks for a donkey that could… :horse::1st_place_medal:

1 Like

And it never will with that attitude.

Some day science will create super donkeys…because it can!

:wink:

1 Like

…and they will be delicious!

2 Likes

Nature already did, it’s called Mules!

1 Like

I would own a Previews for my collection but will never pay a premium to have one.

It’s simply another niche in a hobby full of niche’s (newsstands, bubble gum covers, sexy covers, variants, limited print run, etc.). Buy what you want but don’t spend other people’s money - let them do that.

2 Likes