WIKI List of Optioned yet Unproduced, Image Comics

I hit this list by accident and found it interesting … don’t know if WIKI maintains lists of other “optioned” comic publishers, yet I think this indicates just how little “options” can mean …

Oh nice, we’ve been creating our own tracking spreadsheet and once we got enough data accumulated were gonna turn it into a page that’s available to all.

I think it’s interesting info … mainly, material that is not part of DCU or MCU since, I think, material that comes out of the Big 2 while still somewhat relevant, is really more focused on Characters that exist … while the more Independent publishers are focused somewhat more on the overall property, in many cases …

Point being, the credence put into “options” as a method of pushing sales, to me, is a slippery slope that the smaller Publishers, I think sometimes, hope to use to their benefit … any sort of “option” announcement these days seems to garner a quick uptick in pricing and thusly, would seem to encourage those smaller Publishers to use that to their advantage …

“Hey man, that Dude at BS Studios called and want’s to option our comic, “Ass Breather” … he offered $500 bucks …”

“Dude, take the money … we’ll blast it out over the Web and sell the crap out of that book for at least a month or two … the $500 along with what extra coin we’ll make off sales should keep us in Mountain Dew and Doritos for a year …”

Haha… I’m gonna start writing comics just to push for cheap options for some extra holiday spending cash… :slight_smile:

My idea for a comic is a mini-series that follows two creators who found a small publishing company and only make a handful of comics in the hopes they get optioned and they make a bunch of money. My dream would be in the ultimate irony this comic is optioned…

1 Like

Sounds kind of like Black Mask… publisher, create books with no real intentions of ever finishing most of the books, hoping to score some nice dough from pumping and dumping their own books, limiting them but still releasing them with direct sales and probably hoping they get some media deals…

Now, I’m not totally sure that was Black Mask’s goal but they’re pretty much non-existent it seems nowadays… They truly did go and Wiebe themselves…

Yeah, well … the “option” game could easily be gamed … all you need is a comic and some cheeseball TV/Movie “Production Company” … spread the word thick over the Web, pop out a YouTube or two and voila … sell the crap out of the books you’ve stashed once the various Spec sites start picking it up as “News” …