Would You Pay for CHU ..?

I wouldn’t pay a membership fee for info that’s widely available on the internet and advance previews, since I get to read those on a weekly basis. We live in a “Subscription Age” where we want exclusive merch/info. The problem is, when that stuff stops being exclusive, people leave. Unless CHU has insider info on comics/movies/tv shows, 99% of info/articles provided come from other websites. And any exclusive info doesn’t stay exclusive. People always leak it.

The point is CHU is considering different avenues to pay for their costs as discussed in this thread. Ideas were thrown out there and i was curious as to what would get people to help them. If you want to start a discussion on the value websites like this bring to a retailer then i would be more than happy to have that discussion with you.

Can you give one real life example of this ‘subscription age’? I can’t think of any club/membership that was popular and gave away exclusive shit, then started giving away non exclusive shit that eventually caused most to no longer subscribe.

I would say that exclusive subs wouldn’t work because;

1. If you have 2000 subscribers getting exclusive info, with that many people, the info, as soon as it given to all 2000 members, is no longer exclusive. The subscribers will all be competing with each other for their market share, all the while watering down that same market.

2. Not to mention that a subscription for information is essentially a pyramid scheme. The handful of guys collecting this ‘exclusive’ info (researchers) are really the only ones with the inside edge. They have first crack at all the cheap copies online. They then give that info to the subscribers, after the researchers have already picked the bone. Those 2000 subs then go and compete against each other (maybe even buying off a researcher who fed him the ‘exclusive’’ content). Those 2000 share it with their friends and now everyone knows, and the ones who are at the top, the 2-5 researchers, are the ones who really made out.

Maybe thats what the market needs. An even playing field.

For every one person that leaves, 2 join because if word of mouth and FOMO.

I think that’s where the market is currently. On a level playing field. There is no one group, that I’m aware of, that excels heads and shoulders above all the others, at comic speculation. We all have our own methods, and I would imagine the more successful speculators are the ones who don’t follow what everyone else is doing.

You think too linear.

There are more than just speculators playing this game.

We live in linear time. How else is one supposed to think? Lol. Do you have a time stone that allows you to see the future or change the past? Linear thinking is based on logic, rules and rationality (or sustained reason) to solve problems. Yes. I think linearly. Thank you.

Please expand on that thought. Who are these other players? And what do you call them (if they aren’t speculators)?
In my opinion, if they are in this game, despite whatever title they may call themselves, by definition they are speculators. And as I stated above, there is no one group that is known to be the best comic speculators.

I like getting free info. It’s ok if it’s second hand and the ones releasing the info are getting first dibs on eBay. I’ll take my chances rummaging at the couple local LCSs for copies of a hot book. It’s a hobby, not a source of income. I use cash from flips to buy more comics or grade books (reinvesting back into the hobby). If I miss out here or there It rarely impacts my life, other than the time invested looking for something.

Basically, I wouldn’t pay for perks, but I would buy swag here and there and maybe even donate some profits if I hit a big score thanks to some information that was exclusive to CHU. That’s about it.

1 Like

You know what would be awesome is if people here offer up a cool book here and there as a give away…kind of pay it forward, so to speak.

I’d like to do more of that. I usually see hot books at my LCS but they’re not flip-able such that I’d make a profit…but would make a cool give-Away.

I have done that very thing. I sponsored and funded a giveaway on CHU about 1 1/2 years ago. I also sent Tony, when I first discovered CHU, a double signed Lemire book, as a thank you for his efforts. You and I, Drog, have also exchanged free gifts to one another, out of the kindness of our hearts. Which is another free perk of being part of a community. CHU already provides lots of free perks, you just have to look for them and take advantage of the opportunities that the site provides a wealth of. You gotta be thinking linearly, and outside the proverbial box if you want to be a leader :medal_military:and not a follower :sheep:.

I’ve done giveaways on the hot book of the week where others might of missed out. It’s fun. I enjoy giving away books that I picked up, paid for myself to give back to you CHU readers.

Money is the root of all evil! I hate saying that but it’s true. Where money is involved, there’s usually greed and corruption.

a.k.a. … Capitalism, the keystone of the American society.

I’d agree with that in a sense myself.

If I was a speculator buying books online at 50% discount, fast shipping is crucial if I’m buying to flip from speculation. If it’s gonna take a week or longer, paying for the discount is now lost in the potential sale after a book has heated up and cooled off. Maybe one would have to have two tiers of subscription, a lower price for slower shipping and maybe a few bucks more for expedited two or three day turn around from release day. Maybe even include a subscription price that includes shipping costs.

Now if I was just a reader and collector, slower ship time is okay. Buying books at almost retailer discounts would be appealing if one was to pay a monthly subscription for such discount. But this is only appealing if I’m buying and reading a bunch of books a month. If I’m the casual 5-10 books a month type of guy, paying $5, $10 or $15 a month for 50% discount isn’t worth it. It’s only appealing to the heavier buyers.

Lots of scenarios I think that could be appealing to the different type of buyers out there.

1 Like

I only make money because the society I live in forces me. I’d totally be fine in an environment or society where everyone is equal and we all have expert trades and skills where we trade to survive and co-exist. I think I was meant to live in a tribe before our societies established government, rulers and fiat monetary systems to buy goods. :slight_smile:

Ditto. My modus operandi is to try to work as little as possible. I dont use credit. I pay cash. I’m fortunate, in a way, that I have a large, fairly isolated home that is mortgage free. I also have a beautiful piece of property with a cosy lakefront home, in cottage country, Ontario, Canada. It is also mortgage free. I turned 41 a few weeks ago. I have a sustainable roof over my head, warm food in my belly, a glass bong in hand, free lifelong health insurance :canada:, and I don’t have a care, or debt, in the world. I don’t have a lot of money, but I’m very happy.

Heh… that’s my goal when the kids go off to college. Have less, make less and travel in what I hope is paid off Truck and RV, living at National Parks for months at a time with awesome views where I just sit and stare until I feel like hiking and exploring.

It’s funny, a few years ago as a independent contractor, I made so much money one year while I was doing taxes, I turn to the wife and flat out said… “F%$K, next year we need to make less money!”

That’s a good problem to have I suppose.

I chose not to have kids. I simply don’t have the patience, or desire, to be a full time guardian. I have been there consistently for my two young neices, but Im happy to send them home when I’m fed up. I’m fine with being the favourite Uncle and not a father. No kids has allowed me to live the life that I want too. It’s pretty liberating and rad, imo.

Sometimes I envy those without kids but I must admit, now that I have kids myself, I wouldn’t trade the experience and life now with them for anything in the world. Sort of like that movie, where the guy who has it all without a wife or kids suddenly saw his life with a wife and kids, after experiencing both, he chooses the life with kids. I’m pretty sure most who could experience both would always choose the life with kids…

Okay, let’s get back on topic. Send CHU more cash cause you like what we do! :wink:

1 Like