X-men #5 & Dr Stasis

I agree but I myself am just speaking on the defined terms of… “appearance”… if you wanna talk about which type of “appearance” becomes the most valuable… well, the market works in mysterious ways… :wink:

Right. What I’m getting at is an appearance is an appearance is an appearance. First, second, third are facts. Cameo, first full, first full as, are just subjective value judgments at that point.

1 Like

For sure… that’s why I’m just gonna start referring to them all as first, second, third, first cover… etc. They’re all appearances… I’m doing away with the silly subjective terms some use (which we know most try to use to steer towards the one they might be selling the most of)… :wink:

This is all well and good in Comic Utopia but what about here in the real world. I’m fairly new to comics, so not trying argue the point… just trying to figure out the nuances of how the consensus view cameos/non-cameos/fulls. Any thoughts on Dr. Stasis as an example? Seems like just shadows and dark figures in the first 3 issues but I believe we see his full face in #4? (with dialogue).

It’s not just shadows though. The ONLY thing we don’t see is his face. We learn his name, see some of his powers when he kills people and even find out his title and where he works. He also has multiple lines in #2 as well.

I can’t imagine the argument against a 1st cameo for #2 and I’d imagine the full is #5 coming up here. #5 will definitely be the winner of the two, without any question, but he definitely made a cameo appearance in #2.

He’s also in #1

1 Like

Good question. You need to first ask yourself of your own intents when it comes to comics. Here’s my own take in how I approach comics (I’m a reader, collector and flipper/investor)…

Are you planning to be a quick flipper? This is someone who will pre-order and buy books to try and immediately flip on spec potential.

Are you planning on being a flipper but not as quick? At least I think there’s two types of flippers, those who sell immediately when it lands in their laps but then there’s some who watch the market and think if they hold out a bit longer, can squeeze out a little more on the profit side.

When it comes to being any type of flipper, use the terms used by others (cameo, first cover, first appearance, first full appearance, etc) as just a guideline on what you might sense ends up being the market winner. It’s never going to be obvious at times which way the market swings in favor but if you’re buying at cover early on to flip, buy a few of each, when you flip the profits will normally cover the costs of the ones that don’t heat up as much and those can even be held to be long term winners eventually after supply dries up and people start seeking out the other appearances.

Now, are you considering being a long term investor, to sell later on? If buying at cover price, same as above, buy all the appearances but don’t go heavy on them. You don’t want a box of books that end up being dollar bin books sitting in the closet until you die… The long term holds normally pay out decently if you got in early and bought cheap or cover price. It’s too bad we all don’t have a magic ball that would tell us which books are gonna blow up years from now with crazy prices… but I’d rather be a little conservative on the amount of books for the long term holds.

Are you a collector? If you just plan to keep your books and you collect firsts (cameo, first, first full, 2nd appearance, first cover, etc), buy your copies, tuck them away and cherish them every couple of months or years by pulling them out of the long box to adore from time to time. Collectors are the ones who let their families reap the benefits (or get ripped off) after they die and leave the collection to them to handle.

In the end, all these terms are just words to describe what type of appearance it is in the book. But watching the market is key in seeing which one might be the ultimate winner. Sometimes it’s a “cameo” type appearance. Sometimes it’s the full appearance that wins out… and from history sake, most love the first full + cover… those always seem to win the market at times.

1 Like

Here’s the preview. We get to see Dr Stasis

Is it me, or am I missing Dr. Stasis?

He’s on the 1st page.

He is? I know I don’t see well, but maybe someone can circle him or something. I don’t see him either.

My bad. I thought the guy in red was him.

Lol that is Sunspot… I think? I’m not sure I don’t read X-Men regularly.

Sunfire. I don’t read it either, but looked it up. Haha.
s-l640

1 Like

I could swear Sunfire had a different costume at one point. Weird.

Spoiler on who Captain Krakoa is

… it’s Cyclops

1 Like

I really enjoyed the initial relaunch of the X-Men under Hickman, but once all this plant based crap and making death not matter came into play…I had to bail. #NotMyX-Men

2 Likes

You might like the newest one. It’s better than the last volume by leaps and bounds, imho. The cyclops thing is a little lame though.

When has death every mattered? The new X-Books have been great, a real breath of fresh air, and this is coming from someone who has read every issue of Uncanny X-Men and been collecting since I was a little kid in the early 90’s.