Your Best comic find?

Bought the original art for the cover of Detective Comics #1042 and sold it when another offered ten times what I paid for it.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1733292

5 Likes

Finding and acquiring the original art for birthpage of Spider-Punk

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1507163

6 Likes

Some that come to mind that I did not invest a whole lot in ($200 or less) but have a nice return…

Ebay Scores:

Transformers #1 9.6 Newsstand. Purchased for less than $100 graded. Sells for about $500

Ultimate Fallout 4, 9.6. Paid $125 graded
Online Scores:

Star Wars Kanan 6 - purchased 2 copies for $30 ea (Mile High)- both graded 9.8…just sold one for $450.

LCS Scores:

TMNT #1 (3rd Print). It’s raw but looks to be a 8.5-9.0. Paid $200

Umbrella Academy FCBD - sold for $100 ( paid $0…infinite profit…!!)

Young Avengers #1 for $10 (although this book has dropped recently…will rebound one day).

Of all of them I probably rate TMNT 1 at the top.

5 Likes

My best find even though it was years ago is a Hulk #1 coverless for $5.

8 Likes

Too many to list but a few big ones were Amazing Fantasy Vol. 2 #15 in Newsstand. I paid $40 on eBay and sold it for $1200. Another good on was Marvel Point One 2nd Print CGC 9.6. I paid $60 and sold it for $1200.

5 Likes

Not the most expensive find but one I have wanted in my collection and those are the ones that always stand out.

4 Likes

Drove an hour to look through some silver/bronze age dc, found some stuff for the pc, and the owner says " theres a box of magazine’s you can have, no charge"
I get it to the car and find blip #1 cpv right on top

8 Likes

You play at a different level Myron

My two greatest scores. I have told these stories on here before but my first was a yard sale where there was a metal Amazing Spider-Man 1970’s trash can. Inside were ASM issues below #20. Like 16 issues (not including #1) in good shape but rough from sitting in the trash can for so long below issue 20 and some other books as well. The lady wanted $5. I gave her a $20 and ran. Needless to say this was my sophomore year of college. My mom had just recovered from leukemia and running back and forth from Delaware to Baltimore to visit my mom in the hospital caused my grades to tank and I lost my financial aid. Needless to say that trash can of comics saved me.

Second one was my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) and I flew to Buffalo and drove over to Niagra Falls Canada. At the time there was a Marvel attraction there. We went there and I asked if they had the Ultimate Spider-man Niagra Falls variants. They weee selling for like $100 each on eBay. The woman working said yeah we have a box of them. She pulled the box out from under the counter. They were $2.25 Canadian each. I bought the box which had like 85-90 copies plus a few banged up copies. Sold them on eBay like crazy at $80 each. A comic shop (a big one at the time) hit me up and asked me how many I had. I think I had about 75 when they asked. They offered me $60 each and I took the offer. Moved the entire box in one private sale.

Years later I went by their table and they are still trying to sell that book at conventions.

12 Likes

I’ve had some nice finds… I’m sure I’m forgetting some but these stand out.

Transformers #1 for $20, graded 9.8

Hulk #180 for $300, graded 9.4

Sweet Tooth #1 for 50¢, graded 9.8

2 newsstand copies of Digimon #1 for $10 each, graded 9.6 & 9.8

4 newsstand copies of Swamp Thing 37 for $200 each, 2 graded 9.6 & 2 graded 9.8

Batman 423 1st print for $250, graded 9.8

Action Comics 61 for $30

4 Likes

Fantastic four #48 for about $3 in the 90s reduces to HALF PRICE…about a 9 to 9.4 grade…and many others…a 1st moon knight for 60 cents eacg WW by night 32 and 33

3 Likes

Again in the 90s i bought Amazing spiderman #3 to 50 for £200 which was about $400 at the time…all nice copies…i sild them all last year except #10 1st enforcers.

2 Likes

Yep, up until the early 2k silver and bronze age keys were cheap with lots of deals to be found.

1 Like

Got this when it was dropped, and Tradd’s agent is saying that pages from the series (Silver Surfer Black) are changing hands for $30k each. Not sure whether they are paneled pages, but I know of paneled pages that have been traded at $25k each and I have a standing offer of $18.5k on mine.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1593723

3 Likes

We’re talking money way beyond anything I deal in!

Neither do I, but it just ended up there!

I’ve gotten a lot of good deals, but only a few stand out as really good finds:

Comic Shop Finds

Amazing Spider-Man 361-361 Newsstand Variants - 1st Carnage - $20 set - All are a solid 9.4-9.6 found 15 years ago.

Amazing Fantasy 1 (2004) - 1st Anya Corazon - $5 - 9.4 issue I found in the “Misc. A” section of the comic shop I frequent here.

Suicide Squad 1 (1987) - $1 - solid 9.8 comic found around the time the James Gunn Suicide Squad movie was coming out.

eBay Finds

Strange Adventures 187 - 1st Enchantress - $15 - Only bidder on and auction for a complete, but low grade issue just before the David Ayer Suicide Squad movie came out.

Uncanny X-Men 129 - 1st Kitty Pride, among others - $27 - Once again, only bidder on an auction for a 6.0ish issue.

Journey Into Mystery 84 - 2nd Thor -$35 - coverless and with the title page of the 3rd story missing, it’s still the best find I’ve had. This was a Buy It Now sale.

3 Likes

I rarely post, but I found a Sandman 8 for $1 out of a shop that was closing down back in 2012-2013. It was about a 9.0. When I got home I took it out and flipped through it and saw that it was the Berger Editorial Edition.

No sales data on Ebay for this at the time.

I posted it on ebay a few years later and got $600 for it. Now I see similar books in that condition go for $2000. Needed the money at the time though, so selling was necessary.

8 Likes

Yard sale 6 years back all $1 each. Bought about 50 books, but best two
Green Lantern 87 came back a 9.2
Hulk 340

LCS $1 bin again 5 years back, and I use to find a ton of good stuff there all the time, not so much anymore, but it was
Batman 251… when I pulled it out, I showed the shop owner he was like it’s yours it was in there, and I remember the other diggers not believing it and eyeing my pile… lol.

1 Like

I found a Batman 181 in a box of $5 silver age books. Most of the books were punched to be put in a 3 ring binder. This one came back like a 5.0

7 Likes