A thread for organizational lunatics

Wrapped this project up over the weekend. Took about 120 labels. Lot of effort, but dang they are pretty.

7 Likes

Those look badass. I want some…

Technically it’s free advertising for comic companies. You need to buy more comics to fill the box behind the labels! :wink:

1 Like

Ok, considering this topic “A Thread for Ornizational Lunatics” (good work @Joe on those dividers!), I was wondering if anybody has suggestions for comic book specific organizational rack systems. Basically, I’d like some sort of storage shelf/rack system specifically made for comic books. I saw a company that makes it, but their website is so outdated and all the pieces you need is so confusing. Looking to all you peeps if there is something out there you like.

I used to use drawer boxes. They start out great but the drawer shell crushes under the weight and you can’t easily slide comics out. Problem for me with using some kind of organizational system is the price. I own 50,000 comics. So many comic boxes in my basement the storage system would end up costing me more than the comics are worth.

1 Like

I had a co-worker who used lateral files to store his comics and graded books. He used the 42" wide ones that had 5 drawers. You can find them fearly cheap used. He would insert pieces of cedar wood for moister and put the files in his garage. I think at the time he had 5. I would recommend buying HON, Haworth, or Herman Miller as those files are ment to last 15yrs plus.

1 Like

How does he store the comics in the lateral file cabinets? I went around today looking at file cabinets and it doesn’t look like they can fit the comics upright. Does he lay them down sideways?

Here are some pictures he sent me a while back. This file system is HON. I cant remember what series it is. I wanna say 700 but not sure.

2 Likes

This is perfect thank you. I imagine that he got the wooden boards cut to size. This is exactly what I need and I’ll snoop around. This sure beats all the long boxes I have lying around.

1 Like

Sure does.

Anyone have a super secret online spot for BCW short boxes? I really prefer BCW, as they are like 2" longer than most of the generic ones. But, Amazon’s price for a 10-pack jumped from $56 for a 10-pack in October to $70 for a 10-pack today.

Seems like comic supply prices in general dipped late last year, and are going back up this month.

1 Like

why not order direct from BCW…?

1 Like

The boxes through BCW directly are $75 for the 10 pack, and you have to pay tax and shipping. Amazon shipping is free for these, so it’s probably $10-15 cheaper through Amazon (and it comes from BCW’s Amazon store, so it’s not a third party).

Its not BCW, but MattsBaseball has a 20 pack of short boxes for $48 plus shipping

https://mattsbaseball.com/store/product/262/SHORT-COMIC-BOX-20CT-BUNDLE/

2 Likes

I’m with you on this. I bought some no-name boxes from my LCS and took them back to exchange for BCWs when I noticed the difference. Super nerdy but extra space is extra space.

MattsBaseball shipping was like $70 for me, so I just bought generics off ebay that work fine. I got 10 for $49.50 the length of the bottom portion is 16".

1 Like

Always talk to the guy (Matt?) at that place. The listed shipping is never accurate. I get my gemini-like mailers from him, and the shipping rate is always like one-third of what it quotes on the site.

His mailers aren’t gemini, but they are better. Thicker cardboard. The only downside is they are heavier, so if you’re trying to keep books under 12oz, it can sometimes be a challenge.

1 Like

I like his mailers and you are correct, they adjust shipping.

I have been buying my mailers locally lately and they cost me about the same and are thick. I hate them though.

I finally got new storage shelves which are so much nicer. Fit short boxes perfectly with no frame lip to chew up the short box.

The old shelves:

New stuff:

The new shelves are so much sturdier, and generally just a far better product. And, they look a lot nicer. Each unit holds 25 short boxes perfectly (even the slightly longer BCW boxes). I bought a 2-pack.

Here’s the link if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYJ8V5GW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

5 Likes

Those are nice but a little pricey. I am trying to get my side of the basement back in order, and something like that would rock.