AfterShock Comics Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

https://www.cbr.com/aftershock-comics-chapter-11-bankruptcy/

That is a big list of non payments to a lot of creators, artists…Hopefully they can get their **** together and pay these people I mean damn that blows…

https://www.cbr.com/aftershock-comics-chapter-11-bankruptcy/

We Live = Not so fast…

2 Likes

I worry Aftershock could be the first of a handful of publishers who have had problems.

2 Likes

Sadly it is always the small guys who go down first. I really like Aftershock and would love to see them pull out of this. They have had some great books and some books that were optioned.

4 Likes

Good.

Now lets close Valiant, Vault, Mad Cave, Black Mask, Source Point, etc.

1 Like

I like some of them, Black Mask can close though.

5 Likes

But hey…Aftershock should reap the benefits of WE LIVE being optioned right? I mean, all of the Whatnot folks at Megacon and such verified it was optioned. All should be just fine.

1 Like

Lol they printed a ton of We Live variants, you would think that the title alone would keep them afloat.

3 Likes

So I actually dont know but does it affect their comics that have beej optioned? Like if we live was optioned and they’re working on it but aftershock goes bankrupt does that mean all work on the adaptation just stops?

I’d imagine the option is with the creators, not just the publisher. These are indie books and I’d imagine most if not all of the works are primarily owned by the creators. Kind of how Image operates, they’re just the publisher but they don’t own the copyrighted work of the characters and stories, that stays with the creators.

2 Likes

Need a bankruptcy lawyer to explain how that might work.

1 Like

It’s probably just a mechanism to shed some debt. I can’t imagine this stopping a TV deal (if one actually exists).

I wonder if the final nail in the coffin was actually We Live. Volume 1 had so much momentum, then for some insanely poor decision, they wait a full year to release volume 2. And, when they do, it’s just not good. At all. I’m sure they were sinking already, but that poor business decision really had to hurt them.

1 Like

I merged the previous talk about Aftershock Bankruptcy to the new topic @Jim73 started, seems like it’s worthy enough to get it’s own topic rather than drown in the Odds and Ends topic…

5 Likes

Chapter 11 / Bankruptcy shouldn’t make any difference to the option; as the optioning party, you wouldn’t want to expose yourself to any corporate risk on the counterparties.

It’s likely a cashflow issue. Option payments are seldom very much upfront, the real value is in full rights payments when the thing goes into production, and the development process on most properties can take quite a few years (assuming they get greenlit for production at all).

Well. From the looks of it, we won’t be seeing a lot more aftershock books, which is a shame as I liked a lot of what they put out.

2 Likes

What kind of bogus agreement do artists/writers sign that they don’t have to get paid on submission.

1 Like

2 Likes

I liked a chunk of their titles. Sad.