Bad Idea

Who’s going in on these books? I see at least 2 I’m interested in. Publisher page HERE.

2 Likes

I pre-ordered a few of their comics through my local LCS. Plus at TFAW too.

1 Like

ENIAC #1 is 48 pages and each comic is going to feature a standalone B-SIDE story for $4. I’m actually more interested in the B-SIDE stories. I’ll be getting ENIAC #1 for SAVE NOW.

1 Like

The “we only sell through certain shops” thing is a turn off to me. Only one store in my region qualifies, and they’re an hour away. Meh.

3 Likes

I pre-ordered one awhile ago.

1 Like

Seems like speculators and flippers wet dreams. Very small number of shops even get their books. No variant covers or exclusives and won’t be available in digital or made into paper backs. But I don’t know how successful it’ll be for the company since it seems like a lot of work for average readers to get a hold of these books

OOOh a Venditti and Ryp book. Missed that before. I’m in. I’ve been wanting more of those two since Valiant cratered.

2 Likes

I imagine their end game is ultimately IP licensing and media deals. Keeping it hard to find and making it valuable through that means more talk/coverage in news, and more chances people outside of comics in the investment/entertainment industries see their names.

2 Likes

I’ve been getting their PR emails since they began and a really intrigued. I feel like their unique way of distributing and selling comics will either work out well or be a huge utter failure. I am interested to see how it goes either way and the books themselves sound pretty cool with great creative teams. I signed up at one of my local shops that is part of their distribution network for one of each book.

That makes sense, Brendon. I feel like I already heard rumors about, “The Hero Trade,” getting optioned maybe solely off of all the buzz that surprise release got.

1 Like

So many Scout books get optioned and then we don’t hear anything about them anymore. It seems like a good strategy to sell books, but it doesn’t make me excited about them. I was listening to the CEO of Scout talk about Forever Maps being optioned and the script being written by one of the top writers in Hollywood. I just roll my eyes when I hear optioned now. The art in these Bad Idea books look amazing and Matt Kindt is writing some of the stories. It seems like a win-win for the reader.

1 Like

Yup, buy low, sell at “optioned” and never look back. Options are a dime a dozen, most will never make it to your screen.

The thing with optioned stuff is it takes a while for significant movement to even happen or to go into production. Stuff like DMZ and Y have been optioned forever ago and seem to be in development hell so an indie that just came out it’ll take years for us to see an actual adaptation. I heard the people in charge of Bad Idea also do a production company and are working on Adaptating Luther Strode. I saw Bloodshot which I believe they worked on and I thought that movie sucked ass

I picked up the Bad Idea preview at my LCS last week. I am going try to get the 1st copies of most series.

I wonder how many of these option contracts have use or lose it clauses. It would suck to have your intellectual property tied up indefinitely with a company that has never produced anything from your story and never plans to.

I already preordered all the Bad idea issues.I’m into weird things.

2 Likes

On Disney investor day, they actually announced the Y series is coming to fx? Soon.

Really bummed about Valiant and what it has turned into (AGAIN). That being said, the former CEO Dinesh Shamdasani was the one that brought Valiant back from the ashes. He’s definitely thinking of different approaches in this industry and has seen success. He did produce Bloodshot, and it wasn’t great, but that experience could help him put these ideas in play as well. I absolutely think these Bad Ideas IPs are created for other media as well.

2 Likes

I’m taking a chance for all the reasons already brought up— they seem to be designing it for movies/tv, the 1 per store model and not being readily available seem to infer a chance at them being hard to come by. Plus- The Hero Trade. I just preordered all of them through TFAW. I just started to get from TFAW after hearing so much good stuff on these message boards, and I am very happy with all my orders so far. but the ‘preorder now, pay later’ model is bound to get me in trouble some day down the line.

1 Like

Today is the last day to preorder these. According to Bad Idea if you filled out an online form and your store never contacted you, then you aren’t getting them. This whole thing is weird. I’m not sure if stores realize today is the last day for the first title. There are a bunch of qualified online stores not even listing them for preorder.