Bad Idea

The online form was also a bit weird. A lot of stores have policies on how to open a box, required number of titles, etc. so getting a list of people who aren’t customers already saying they want one to be ordered for them when they’ve never come in before is a little weird, and I imagine a lot of stores just don’t have any good options for what to do with it.

Like, if you knew the store would carry it, and you wanted to sign up, why not go in or call the store directly?

There’s no store near me on the list and my normal LCS isn’t involved. I can order 1 copy each through TFAW and I got 1 of Eniac through midtown. I filled out the form for the closest local shop where my sister lives but never heard anything.

This seems like a stupid way to release comics. I’m ready to buy but I can’t even find a way to give them my money…

1 Like

Because it’s 2021 and I don’t have to! lol

I think they’re trying to get people back into actually reading comics instead of speculators loading up to resell. Seems odd but I get the sense they want to put the stories out there instead of just selling paper that people go gaga over without ever opening it. I’m down with their plan myself, they better deliver some superb stories and art though.

Almost seems like a “Bad Idea”

1 Like

They’ve embraced how their methodology sounds odd for distribution. It either will weirdly succeed amazingly or fail spectacularly. They even admit it in the name, after all!

1 Like

I ordered the first 5 #1s for $25 shipped from ThirdEyeComics and I half-expect to not get them. ThirdEyeComics has always been good to me so if it happens I won’t fault them at all.

The big problem I have with their model is that it creates unfair competition. If your store was not chosen to carry their stuff, then you now have less appeal than the shop down the street. Even if they were only going to release it to brick and mortar shops, they should release it to ALL brick and mortar shops. I do not even mind not being able to have it as an online only store because I do feel brick and mortar shops need an extra boost. Just like DC making variants that are only available if you buy 250 copies, this is just another thing to put small shops at a disadvantage. Especially now during the pandemic where stores are struggling.

3 Likes

It’s a huge pet peeve of mine when people make it hard for me to give them my money.

“Three easy payments of $9.99, and one incredibly difficult one. The mail’s going to get lost and you’ll need to pay it in wompum!”

What happens if we order more than one (in separate orders) from Midtown? Let’s find out…

Yeah, they should allow all shops but then I do see how impossible that would be to verify legit businesses from speculators and flippers.

This was supposedly sent to retailers today:

We want to thank you for your patience these last few days, especially to those of you who reached out to try and help solve this issue by offering to lower your orders. Unfortunately, the gulf has proved too large and we will not have enough copies of ENIAC #1 First Printing to fulfill all orders completely. We have been working with our printer to rush shipping on our planned first batch of NOT FIRST PRINTINGS. (Yesterday’s announcement here.)

Nevertheless, we will have to allocate all current orders to 51% of your initial order.

On a positive note, we will be able to automatically fulfill the remainder of your ENIAC #1 order with ENIAC #1 NOT FIRST PRINTING copies. While we know this is not optimal for your hardcore collectors, we do hope it will cover some ground with reader demand. Based on our conversations with many of you over the last months, we project that this allocation will cover most if not all of your pre-orders with first prints. If you wish to opt out of this substitution, simply email atom@badideacorp.com and we will adjust your order to remove the partial NOT FIRST PRINTING quantity.

Regardless, your minimum order quantity on future issues of ENIAC (per Bad Idea rule #6) will, of course, be adjusted down to match the new quantity of ENIAC #1 FIRST PRINTING copies you will receive via the allocation. In short, you won’t be on the hook to match a quantity that we were unable to fulfill.

Both of these updates will be reflected in your order history and invoicing on the Bad Idea Wholesale Ordering site when we open for new orders on Tuesday, February 9th.

Again, we are so incredibly proud of ENIAC and couldn’t be more humbled by the tremendous faith you have put into it with your order. We have and will continue to put new processes in place to avoid a similar situation going forward.

Thank you once again, The Bad Idea Dept. of Woefully Inadequate Future Planning

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Same bullshit move that BOOM does. They are playing for the speculators and flippers…

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. They’re off to a nice greasy start.

2 Likes

Just canceled all my preorders of their books. I canceled everything that wasn’t locked which was everything but Eniac #1

1 Like

Man, that’s just gross.

Yeah… So they will now give you roughly half of the books you ordered BEFORE FOC as first prints… no thanks.

When they initially put limits so far in advance I knew something was up. I mean this things been on preorder forever and they can’t meet customer demands? Customers who were only allowed one copy of each book if you could find shops that were part of it. I don’t think it’s in service to speculators, flippers, investors either. Isn’t it in a comic companies best interest to sell as many books as possible?

2 Likes

Man so much of what I hear about these Bad Idea guys seems carnie af

2 Likes

Bleedingcool (yeah, yeah) says that the “not firsts” will show up on the same day… so, is the company that claims they won’t do more than one cover basically… just doing more than one cover here? (A and not-A)

1 Like