Bad Idea

I’m hoping for now this is a case of bad preperation or just some other factors outside of their control on the supply chain rather than a planned stunt. The folks working at Bad Idea are all very nice people and some of the most open I’ve worked with at a publisher.

Time will tell, though.

I understand that they are “Open” and “transparent”, but it’s just a headache when there’s a press release every other day about how releasing comic books will work. It’s twice as maddening when every one of those press releases seems to be actively working against the goal: selling comics. It’s hard enough to find regular comics where the companies are working as hard as they can to get them into the market. Why do I need to sign up to chase down something that is actively being made harder to find? I don’t have time to chase these things around town. Godspeed to those who do.

4 Likes

Well said. To me, it looks like the line between “quirky, unorthodox approach” and “stunt publishing” has been blurred. Waiting to see how many weeks on end Eniac is featured in CT101’s Top 10.

1 Like

Is this the first case where we have 1st and 2nd prints both show up on release day?

If there are reasons beyond Bad Idea’s control, they should be open and transparent enough to reveal them. Or at least say why they cannot be revealed.

Now retailers have a headache of fulfilling customer orders I suppose…

If I got a second print (not justifying that new terminology) fulfilling my order, I guess I wouldn’t be pissed. At least I can read the damn thing then. The fact that I would be glad to read it would, however, remind me of the fact that I can’t get the thing digitally. I would then be upset it about all over again.

I’m sure some shops were padding the orders as well. With as much as the hardcover was selling for who could blame them?

I have them all on preorder. I think I’ll see what happens with Eniac #1. If I get a ‘not first printing’ it may dictate how I play this.

I’m done with Bad Idea. This is another letter sent to shops and some of the rules are beyond ridiculous. I’m hating this company more and more every minute.

1 Like

How the hell do you talk about “whales” when you only allow one book per customer? Are publishers this specific and ridiculous with their demands? I understand the name Bad Idea now. I truly hope others cancel their orders for these clowns books that they don’t seem to want people to have.

1 Like

Here’s another letter sent out. I want to point out that they called publishers who sell a lot of books shortsighted. They also state they’re a new company trying to build up their customers by not allowing extra books to be available. They don’t want the shops to be stuck with extra copies they can’t sell. Then make them returnable. If they didn’t want big orders why I was it available for almost a year? All that time and they couldn’t print enough copies to meet demand?

WE LOVE YOU BUT YOU’VE OVER-ORDERED ENIAC #1

Bad Idea Destination Stores,

This is a bit weird and we totally get that we’re supposed to be short-sighted publishing execs who are obsessed with announcing big orders but in what must be a first in comics history:

We are asking you to REDUCE your order of ENIAC #1.

We are so incredibly proud of ENIAC and couldn’t be more honored that you have all put so much faith in it with your orders but as a small, new publisher our readership is just beginning to form. Which means it’s relatively small. Our partnership with you is also just beginning and the last thing that we want is any of the incredible stores that have taken a chance with us to be left with copies they can’t sell. We intend to aggressively grow our readership over the next years and decades but we’re cognizant that the path is a slow and steady one.

More than that, you didn’t just order a lot of our launch book. You ordered A LOT! Especially considering BAD IDEA Rule #6: “Your order on the first issue of an arc is your minimum order on each subsequent issue of that arc.” Which was supposed to discourage orders not blow past our most aggressive high end projections! We’re working with our printer on several solutions but there is a very real chance we will not have enough copies for all the orders. So, before we’re forced to do an allocation, we’re asking any of you that would like to reduce their orders to take the opportunity to do something truly unique in publishing history. Please. With our blessing. Lower your order. Simply reply to this email with your previous order and tell us what you’d like the new amount to be.

2 Likes

Someone on the CGC Forums stated that Jesse James Comics ordered 75 copies of Eniac #1. It was reduced to 25 and then down to 17.

If Bad Idea wanted to sell comics, they would have let EVERY store order them.

Print On Demand. Unless the 1st prints were printed a year ago, they can easily print more.

They are clearly not in the business to sell comics, but to:

1.) Publish an IP
2.) Pump their brand
3.) Create demand
4.) Attract Hollywood interest for media rights

It’s all fairly clear and easy to see, no matter how they spin it.
I call bullshit when I see bullshit.

3 Likes

Also, at this point it’s Supply < Demand

Whats to stop LCS retailers from NOT selling the book and holding it, when prices rise on Ebay…?

Cuz right now, the 1st print is $GME…

2 Likes

How are film and tv producers supposed to get their hands on a copy to read the IP they are supposed to be interested in developing?

Good thing they didn’t print too many trades and collected editions of Sandman or that would have never been developed. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hmm… the rules:

1. I can stand behind Rule #1. They want everyone to get a chance at a copy instead of the speculators buying them all up to sell on the secondary. Some shops already limit new books to customers on release day.

2. Rule #2 seems reasonable. Tells retailers there’s a retail price, don’t jack up the price until after 30 days so people aren’t getting screwed at checkout.

3. Rule #3 is a no brainer. Shops aren’t even suppose to do this with existing books for the most part to avoid the USPS from actually being fast and potentially delivering goods before release date. This shouldn’t impact consumers whatsoever so it’s moot unless your a retailer and even then, that’s just a basic rule that’s easy to follow.

4. Rule #6 doesn’t make sense at all. So lets say I’m a retailer and I get 50 people to pre-order Eniac #1 to check out and read. 15 of them didn’t like it but you’re telling me I still have to order 50 copies of #2 despite 15 people telling me they don’t want to continue? That’s the most absurd thing ever!

Now the other thing that bothers me is if retailers are being told they “over-ordered” copies. WTF? So if Jesse James had 75 people pre-order #1… how is that over ordering?

And Eniac has been in the ordering system for fsking how long? They had plenty of time to get the shit printed to meet initial orders.

Some of these rules I can stand behind, the other shenanigans they would lose me as a retailer or customer. If I was a retailer, I would not bother dealing with them with this BAD IDEA Rule #6 cause that’s about as asinine as it gets. First you’re telling retailers they over ordered, now you’re telling them whatever they do get they have to order the same amount on subsequent issues? Yeah, fsck you BAD IDEA… When you try to control every aspect, you’re just choking yourself and setting yourself up for failure.

Also, if you can’t even get your shit together in printing enough copies from the printers, how do you expect yourself to even monitor every retailer? I doubt you’re gonna have secret shoppers at every shop on release day for every single book… stupid, stupid… stupid!

3 Likes

That’s where their “NOT FIRST PRINTS” would come in. They’re not going to separate into second print, third print, etc. Everything after the first print is called a “not first print”.

Maybe they’ll cut to the chase and just send copies directly to their favorite production companies. :roll_eyes:

All these rules and weird hype methods are strange, I’ll admit that. The comics actually do look pretty neat though. If the books are good, I’ll forgive these quirks. If the books suck…well, yeah.

Yeah, a lot of these quirks do not directly impact me as a consumer. A lot of my gripe would be as a retailer. Seems like some of these are just going a little above and beyond in controlling your product once it leaves your possession… To me, if I was a retailer, I would probably opt out with them trying to control every aspect of how I run and conduct my retail business with their silly guidelines. I think you get too strict, you’re only hurting yourself in the long run.

2 Likes

Let me know Mushu. That’s my local comic shop and I have some sway. I will knock down shelves if you don’t get them

Well, they were suppose to limit 1 per. I’m surprised they allowed anyone to order more than 1 copy.

Scrap that… I read the message wrong… first 5 #1 books out from Bad Idea… not 5 x #1 of same book…