Bags and Boards

Hello everyone. I’ve searched the forums high and low and can’t seem to find the answer. I’m about to purchase some Mylars to protect my better comics that everyone on this forum has helped me discover.

My plan is this:

For my better books, a combination of MYLAR - Silver / Regular Size Bag (7 1/8" x 10 1/2") with Silver Age Boards (56pt - 7 1/8" x 10 1/2")

Silver / Regular Size Bag (7 1/8" x 10 1/2")

Silver Age Boards (56pt - 7 1/8" x 10 1/2")

Will the 7 1/8" inch bags with 7 1/8" board be too snug in terms of possibly causing damage to the comic? It a better recommendation to go with 7 1/8" inch bags with a slightly smaller 7" board?

Personally, I find the smaller boards give to much room in the bag; allowing waves or crinkles to form. In some cases, I find waves start to form on the comics themselves. A tighter bag and board seems to fix this.

For my not so special books; I plan a cheaper Silver / Regular Size Bags (7 1/8" x 10 1/2") with Silver Age Boards (28pt - 7 1/8" x 10 1/2").

Again, I’m following the idea of creating a more snug board and bag combo by using 7 1/8" for both. I’m hoping the 28pt board won’t be much an issue considering these books aren’t my best.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Steve

1 Like

E. Gerber Mylites2 with Fullback boards is what I use. Both standard size. You can call them up and order direct for much cheaper than buying second hand.

4 Likes

Yup, I’m a Gerber fan as well. They’re the best.

2 Likes

Gerber is fantastic! Just as a heads up I placed an order with them last week and there is a 3-6 week shipping delay if you do not mind waiting.

1 Like

Another one here for eGerber. I think I am becoming BFF’s with the lady that answers the phones there. She deserves her own appreciation thread.

2 Likes

Using the same size bags and boards will be a tight fit. The board will have to bend, which I do not recommend.

Too Monopolys point, the bag will also need some wiggle room for the depth of your comic book in order to store it properly, and that is unachievable with a bag and board that have exact, equal width.

1 Like

Also a big fan of Standard Size Mylites2 and Fullbacks. The combo above isn’t a good combo as far as boards being tight in the bags. As well the boards are the buffered pos that aren’t archival and would have to be switched out regularly.

Call E Gerber and order the mylite2s. Size 725 for the nag, 700 for the full back boards.

+1 for the Mylites2 and Fullbacks

Egerber here as well. Full backs only.

I tend to prefer silver age as it’s easiest to get books in and out…I’ve found the regular/modern to be a little on the tight side with the full backs…normal size issues are likely ok.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses. As luck would have it - I found a local comic shop in my city that still has Mylite2 and fullbacks in stock. I can’t wait to get my books out of those junk bags that have been coming with my subs.

My plan now is to keep Mylites in the car and bag my books in the parking lot before leaving the shop.

Again, thank you. This is going to be a game changer.

I’d make sure you wash your hands before handling the books. May want to wait til you get home to switch out.

1 Like

Seems I’m in the minority here. I prefer halfback boards lol

1 Like

Halfbacks are fine until you try fullbacks. It takes up more space but I like the extra protection it provides.

1 Like

At first I thought I could save some money by using halfbacks instead of fullbacks. Halfbacks, although same thickness as the regular coated boards, are way too flimsy for my liking.

My preferred combo :.725M2 and 700FB

I couldn’t get fullback right away at my LCS so I just doubled up the half backs. Works great.

I’ve tried fullback boards lol. And I’m fully invested in halfback for 99% of my collection (1% being my new monthly books that come in). Too far gone now to change :rofl:

I recently picked up a bag of white archival gloves after I discovered my finger prints on a Matt black cover of Space Riders by Black Mask Studios. Such awesome covers; but do they ever show fringed prints. So now I read all my books with these gloves. Not only do they keep the comics clean; but also allow me to enjoy in style.

White Gloves, Zealor 12 Pairs Soft Cotton Gloves, Coin Jewelry Silver Inspection Gloves, Stretchable Lining Glove, Large Size https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MG2LKHB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4AF5JC5R2Q3V79JCW1QK

2 Likes

I’m in the exact same boat as my LCS run out of full backs so I picked up some halfbacks. Great idea to double up on the halfbacks!