Bags and Boards

It’s sad but true that the paper quality sucks so much in some cases that you have to wear gloves in order to read a comic. I have thought of getting some for myself though.

So it’s easy to turn the pages while gloved up?

Some grease will fix the page turning issue. Oh wait. That defeats the purpose of the gloves.

1 Like

I use halfbacks in mylars. If I were playing football with them, or throwing them around, then I would use fullbacks. Just sitting in a box, I don’t understand the need for extra protection, unless I were getting them signed at a con, and then I would use them, but not for general storage.

1 Like

While gloved up; you do have to be a bit more careful when turning pages. I take my time. I find the best way is to gently flick to the next page using your thumb. Never use the index finger to pull up to your next page. I also read my books on a dedicated desk for just that. Reading comics only, No drinks. No clutter. Nothing is on this desk other than the comic and two reading lamps to give the book full light coverage no matter what page I’m on. I found the spine, which I never force to lay flat can sometimes cast shadows on pages depending on how I lay the book open. Having two lights fixes this. Sigh The days of reading, like when I was a kid, is long gone.

1 Like

Wow. You so take pride in reading your comics. I think I need the white gloves though. Tired of finger prints. I have been rebagging a large portion of my 40,000 comic collection. Down to about the last 1,000 and thought the whole time gloves would have been good.

I’m gonna buy some white cotton gloves for handling the expensive comics, I suppose!

Resurrecting this because I was at my LCS today to get bags and boards and he said he can’t get bags right now. I went to BCW and they’re back ordered until December. Matt’s is out too (of current bags). Anyway, if your LCS has them you might want to consider grabbing them earlier than you normally would!

4 Likes

@ein is right. They are getting hard to find.

1 Like

I’ve still been able to buy in bulk silver age 1000 ct boards from BCW using my wholesale account…bags, however, I’m having to order from Amazon. I order 2000 at a time, and somehow this person still has them in stock. They are about $2/100 more expensive than I’d like to pay, but don’t really have another choice right now, and I don’t like off brand stuff.

I have not tried the Gerber products yet, but will have to test some of those out in the future…maybe offer it as an addon vs. the regular bags/boards I buy.

3 Likes

Gerbers the shit though they’re more than Likely back ordered as well. Best prices I’ve found though you have to order over the phone. About half the price of BCW Mylars.

comicsuppliesheatingup.net is what we need to register now… :wink:

1 Like

I was just going to post something related. Great timing

So the standard boards and bags at m LCBS, Will their contribute to damage long term?

I usually change them up ever 10
Years or so

Thoughts?

If you change them that often you’d be fine, I’d think.

It’s cheaper to go full archival supplies as you never have to change them out. As far as long term storage in the non archival supplies I present to you a few backing boards. Kudos to anyone who can figure out the ads. Idk myself.

2 Likes

One of the ads…

2 Likes

Damn that was quick!!

1 Like

Another one…

2 Likes

8 Likes

So has anyone used these mylar comic pro line bags? They seem to be the best priced.