Biggest regret on sale of comic

@Anthony, every time I see you mention your NYX, I recall my own regret :sob: I believe we both sold our copies only days apart.

I won my book already graded 9.6 from the old G+ pages for $10 from the special private groups they had :grinning: I also made a huge profit, but wouldā€™ve made about $600 more if I had only waited 1 more week.

Donā€™t feel to bad. It happens to all of us. I just would focus getting 10x what you paid for it. A board member here had the exact same book in newsstand. I believe it sold for $8000. The person who bought it (Dinesh Bad Idea) sold it for $25000 a short time later.

Cal, I sold mine on a waffle on a G+ page. The guy who won it I knew (well I knew most of the guys) but he won it on the random draw. He sent it in to CGC and it came back a 9.8. I was going through boxes and said ā€œwell this has hit its peak, I should sell itā€. I was wrong. By a day or two.

1 Like

For me its Walking Dead 1 cgc 9.8 before the show. I bought it for 600 and sold it for 800. A day or 2 afterwards the show was announced and it went all the way up to 2000. Thatā€™s big fat fail. Same with Ultimate Fallout 4 sold it went it started getting hot, now its a 3k book.

Donā€™t think I have any, Iā€™ve made money on all the books Iā€™ve sold and Iā€™ve never sold a book I only have one copy of, so Iā€™ve been lucky in that department. Sure there are books I sold that are selling for more but I was happy enough to sell it at the time for whatever profit and if I want I can sell the other copies I have for more now. Just one of those things.

I did trade a Miles Hip Hop variant that I found for cover price for a 9.8 Batman 655 a few months back that Iā€™ve always wondered if that was good or not but again I have duplicate copies so nothing really lost.

Nearly bought captain America comics #1 from 1940 for Ā£200 in 1994ā€¦but didnā€™tā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

I try not to dwell because I made my money back and then some. I just sold most of my run of Something is killing the children. I made a lot of money- money I needed at the time so no regrets. I can see where itā€™s going though and wish I couldā€™ve held on a little longer. Plus, I really like the story too. I still have some #1s, just no cover As. I also sold all ice cream man #1s- 2 right after it was released for $20 each and the other for $80 a year or so ago.

1 Like

Yeah and that was my biggest sale regret, but it had to happen at some point. First to market set it up and who would have guessed Miles would blow up in the past 7 month like it did. Dinesh got a steal at 8Kā€¦ and I turned it into books Iā€™d rather have (TOD10, GSX1, Albedo 2ā€¦ just to name a few) and have potential to grow and I still have a direct 9.8 of UF4.

3 Likes

Yeah you definitely did very well.

None so far because I have been collecting comic books for less than a year.The only things I have regretted was buying comic books because due to FOMO,but Iā€™ve never regretted selling any of the fomo books ,though.

1 Like

Mine is a set of Amazing Spider-Man 101 & 102. I heard rumblings of a Morbius movie, but didnā€™t put a lot of weight on it at the time and I needed the money, so I sold them. 2 days later, the casting of Jared Leto came out and the comics took off. Itā€™s not even a regret, I just wish I was a little more patient at the time and waited longer. More than that, I kinda wish I still had the comic. Iā€™m a big Morbius fan and at the prices itā€™s at, I wonā€™t be able to get one again.

2 Likes

@TheRedCollar Iā€™m of the same mind as you. Itā€™s not so much that I absolutely regret the sale of the books I decided to part with, but itā€™s now the fact that they have escalated so quickly, and so incredibly that I wonā€™t ā€œlikelyā€ be able to buy them again.
When I sold them, I simply didnā€™t think books would quadruple in value over the course of less than two years. Especially when they were already pretty hot/popular to begin with.

1 Like

Life is too short for regrets.

NO REGERTS! As the tattoo says.

With that said it would be nice to still have some books in my collection. Amazing Spider-Man 300, Sandman 8 Editorial Editionā€¦

I recently relocated to Knoxville TN and before I moved I got rid of about 2000 books. Among them were the first 10 issues of Star Wars Legacy. Not really going for much at the time of the unloading.

As Poyo has said many timesā€¦there will be others. I am a reader first and speculator second. Back when I started collecting no one even thought comics from the 90ā€™s would be worth anything.

2 Likes

This topic brings me so much pain. This brings me back to a time when I was a kid and there was this little dinky comic book convention in Toronto where incredibly Jim Lee was a guest. This was my very first comic book convention and was just amazed. It was all comic book vendors at the time.

i walked up to a booth and this vendor had stacks and stacks of ASM 300 selling for $5 each. I liked Mcfarlane at the time and liked the cover so I went through them and picked up the nicest copy I could find, easily a 9.8 and paid the man $5, a lot of money for me back then.

Fast forward a few years Iā€™m 13 and decided I wanted to sell some of my ā€œkeysā€. I canā€™t recall now why I needed money so badly at that time. It couldā€™ve been for a girl or a video game. Anyways I brought a stack of keys to the comic shop to see if the shop owner would be interested in buying them. Ebay wasnā€™t around then or if it was I wasnā€™t aware of it.

Brought my stack of ASM 300, ASM 301, NM 87 (hot book at the time), NM 98, Punisher 1, Wolverine 1, etc and a bunch of other keys that I canā€™t remember. The shop owner looked at me with this disgusted look that I would bring him such drek. Told me these are absolutely worthless and at most would give me $25. I knew I was getting ripped off at the time but we settled on the $25.

I walked out rather upset about it and decided never to go to that shop again. Since then I havenā€™t really sold any of my keys that Iā€™ve accumulated from the 90s. Who knew one day theyā€™ll be worth something. I still have boxes and boxes of these books back in my momā€™s basement somewhere and when I have time to move back to Toronto will go through them and relive my childhood. Right now theyā€™re stashed away for safe keeping.

2 Likes

Starting to regret selling my Canto #1 1st printā€¦it was a rarity in that it didnā€™t have much in way of defectsā€¦nothing color breakingā€¦likely NM and could likely have pressed to NM+ At least.

Also sold a second copy with standard damage for minor profit.

Such is life.

I have the 2nd print in Likely 9.8ā€¦but wish I had bought more of them as well. Silly me.

1 Like

Hereā€™s my regrettable saleā€¦ I was partners with a guy in a comics shop a few years ago. Before that, he worked for Diamond when the distribution center was in Sparta, IL. He had friends who still worked there when we owned the comics shop and he called one of them and asked for some copies of this comic before it was pulped, per DCā€™s orders.

I got it graded and sold it a couple of years later for $750. I wish I still had it as a conversation piece.

3 Likes

I sold my Canto 1 9.8. Needed the $ to buy an X-Men 1 a friend was selling but it still stings.

X-Men 1 is always going to be a better choice than Canto.

3 Likes

Yes, the big established and older silver/gold books will always have higher demand long term over smaller indie books. Now there are a few exceptions to the sought out indie books (TMNT, Crow, etc) but they are all hit or miss depending on how the consumers welcome them now and long term, before and after potential media shows or movies, etc.

1 Like

I agree completely. I dont regret the X-Men at all. Not even a little bit. But I do miss my Canto hahaha!