Black Adam movie expected December 2021

Well, that’d be cool too. Really as long as it doesn’t suck, that’s a victory.

4 Likes

I really hope it is fun.

Okay, I just got back from the theatre and IMO the movie was awesome! Critics will belly ache about a free lunch, so I take what they say with a grain of salt. Unclear if it takes place before or after Shazam.

Movie opens with some exposition and gives a brief backstory/Origin of Black Adam (that later in the movie really tugs at the heart strings)

The movie has some amazing action sequences albeit some of them feel out of place. Also, when the JSA are introduced they are just suddenly introduced with a very, very brief introduction of each member. It would be one thing if one of members was Jay Garrick, as a brief introduction/explanation is all that is needed but here we are looking at Doctor Fate and Hawkman who are a couple of DCs more complex characters (especially Hawkman who can be as difficult to define a origin as Kang over at Marvel).

I don’t recall Thanagar mentioned at all and Nth metal is mentioned but explained very breifly, so I assume this is golden age Hawkman as his name is Hall not Hol BUT he seems to have Thanagarian tech like Hol… also he seems to have been reincarnated as he states he doesn’t fear death, Fate also calls him old friend and Fate says that he (Fate) is over 100 years old but Hawkman is clearly way younger than Kent Nelson.

Doctor Fate also doesn’t get a proper origin or backstory BUT the audience is made aware of his powerset and abilities fairly easily. I just wish that the Helm of Nebu was better explained. In the movie Cyclone simply states that it is from outer space, it chooses who can touch it, and Kent is pretty much possesed when he wears it but fail to mention just how powerful Doctor Fate truly is.Doctor Fate ends up sacrifcing himself while freeing Adam from a Task Force X black site prison. His sacrifice feels similar to Strange in Endgame.

The movie is for sure connected to the larger DCEU as both Viola Davis and Jennifer Holland reprise their roles… also see spoilers.

The Rock kicks ass as Black Adam, imo. It truly feels like he will do a good job of playing Doctor Doom role of the DCEU (A “villain” who cares deeply about his people and country, and will do anything to protect them.) Also, at the end of the flick he gets his more traditional Black Adam suit and it looks phenomenal while also simple.

End credits: Wallee shows up in Khandaq via drone/hologram and tells Black Adam that he is fine to exist outside of her prison, because Khandaq is his prison now. If he leaves its borders she will stop him. He says no one on the planet can stop him. She says she’llcall in a favor from someone from another planet. A shadowy, caped figure can be seen through some dust. Henry Cavill Superman(!!!) steps through the smoke and gives Adam a warning.

I have my quirks about the movie but I walked out happy. I also received a sweep swag bag from my LCS courtesy of WB which included a special edition Black Adam: Hawkman comic, t-shirt (I fit in a 1x now!), full & mini posters, and a backpack!

9 Likes

Was a fun ride, critics are nuts.

1 Like

I like the Rock even as a person from what I’ve seen, read and heard.

I don’t read or listen to movie reviews when I go watch movies. I just go and watch for myself to determine if I’m going to like it.

Glad to hear the movie was good! Looking forward to seeing it!

1 Like

Great review. Thanks for this!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Also, a quick update: I read the Hawkman comic that I received in the swag bag (which had been previously released already, however I never added to my pull) and this further complicates Hawkman for me. In the comic he works for or is associated with a museum (classic Golden Age Hawkman stuff) and his diaries (plural) are mentioned again hinting at Hawkman having been previously reincarnated.

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not but I’ll blur it anyways, as I forgot to mention in my original review:

In the movie Atom Smasher is the nephew of the original Atom Smasher (played by the Fonz!) and they have a facetime call with one another. Original Atom Smasher says to “listen to Carter.” So once again Fate and Atom Smasher are older gentlemen and Hawkman is much, much younger hinting again at reincarnation but never officially confirmed or even mentioned that I can recall.

Atom Smasher and Cyclone have great chemistry and Smasher provides some excellenr comic relief without feeling forced. I wish we got more backstory on both of them. Cyclone mentions breifly in maybe 15 seconds how she came to be Cyclone… perhaps origin stories are in the future of the DCEU?

Fun review, thanks!

1 Like

Movie was good enjoyed it. If they had a few characters cut it would have been even better, Cyclone and Atom Smasher can go thanks don’t need them back :smile:

1 Like

Dwayne Johnson’s Black Adam Will Not Be Part of the New DC’s ‘First Chapter’ of Films — but Could Return Later (msn.com)

Well, it is probably for the best if there is a major re-boot coming.

Yep spend a fortune to cast The Rock set up a whole Justice Society spinoff as well as whatever Black Adam Superman Shazam spinoff then put it on the back burner for a decade, what a great plan. The Rock will end up in a Marvel role never to return to DC.

2 Likes

Maybe, but as much as I don’t like to see this shake up at least relating of the main characters being sent off to the sunset I can understand where it is coming from. If the majority of the DCU movies were good and had cohesion between them for an epic chain of movies leading to a grandiose ending I would be upset, but they didn’t. There were no grand phases and far too many of the films missed the mark.

That being said, I will miss Cavil as Supermen. He nailed it but it would be great seeing him in the MCU. Marvel/Disney would be nuts to not scoop him up asap! My guess is he will show up in Star Wars as Valance. Of course I only say that because I have a small stack of bronze age Star Wars #16 sitting around. :wink:

1 Like

I honestly don’t see the rock going to marvel. I was a huge rock mark as a kid but he has no acting range. All of his roles feel the same

1 Like

Yeah, his range is limited but he is a huge box office draw. If DC/WB doesn’t solidify what they intend to do with Black Adam. I can see him jumping ship if Marvel throws some cash under his nose. He could play Weapon H is something like that.

Let’s fan cast him
Ares
Strong guy
Colossus
Doc Samson
Blue Marvel :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I think he’d make a good Apocalypse or Juggernaut, but he’s not going to play a role that isn’t major and where his face is obscured.

Cast him as Ares and let someone else play Sentry and rip his damned spine out like in the Siege Storyline.

That was just plain awesome.

1 Like