Blade was to be Female Driven Movie

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/marvel-blade-movie-budget-changes-female-led-story/?utm_source=Comicbook.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=231101_135550_Comicbook.com%20Daily%20Newsletter&utm_content=Link

Thank god this didn’t happen, though I would have loved seeing Blade’s daughter>

it*'s being said that Marvel’s Blade reboot was originally headed in a very different direction than what most fans would expect from a Blade film with multi-Oscar-winner Mahershala Ali as its titular character. The report claims that “the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons,” and that “Blade was relegated to the fourth lead” of the film.*

2 Likes

Get woke, go broke.

6 Likes

yikes. WWBN set the bar pretty high. this would have bombed.

1 Like

When I think of Blade, I think of women learning life lessons.

4 Likes

Facts of Life…with vampires.

1 Like

Wtf, Marvel?

3 Likes

I’m big on, “Going woke,” and argue it can make tons of money too (look at, “Barbie,”) but that said, this makes zero sense for, “Blade.” Blade is about the titular character killing vampires, rinse and repeat. It’s a relatively easy formula for a kick-ass action movie.

3 Likes

Uggg… it’s just so frustrating. It shouldn’t be that hard.
They should literally force anyone who is involved with these projects to read/learn the source material & report out on it. Put together a “think tank” of fans & get their input.

I can’t tell you the number of times I watched Blade. It’s one of those films I’ll often just put on to have playing in the background.
I’ve watched the first 10 minutes while working out an insane number of times just for the adrenaline rush and confusion dub mix music.

Give us dark, gritty, all out Blade vs Vampire action. Toss Lilith, Elsa, some other cool monster stuff in to boot.

Feels like Marvel/Disney just gets in their own way these days.

Marv Wolfman and Gerry Conway are still alive (I believe)…go get their perspective even.

7 Likes

The Blade Trilogy is on Hulu now.

1 Like

How the head honchos at Disney still have jobs is beyond me. Mostly bad choices the past few years. The occasional bright spot, but not tons.

3 Likes

I’m glad someone stepped up before it was too late and said “NO”.

4 Likes

Ya this isnt about going woke, its just a dumb plotline to have in a Blade movie.

Tell that to Kathleen “I ruined Star Wars” Kennedy.

1 Like

Going woke is the only reason for a female led Blade movie. An unrelenting drive to push strong female leads into every movie.

One can love and appreciate strong women, but it’s really not appropriate for all movies, especially existing franchise that have strong male leads.

Alienating the pre-existing audience of mostly males is not necessarily a good idea if it costs a few hundred million to make and market a movie. They deserve to lose every dollar they lose if they are creating movies - arguably a form of art - by starting with a premise or narrative and then wrapping a story around it rather than simply creating something for the sake of art or entertainment.

4 Likes

Trying to build market share dollars spent by women isn’t “going woke.” It’s called smart business.

Getting all fired up because one unconfirmed report said a Blade movie was going to have a strong female presence is kinda bonkers. No one is going to make a Blade movie that barely features Blade.

1 Like

No one thought that a Star Wars sequel trilogy would kill off the majority of the original, beloved crew and focus on a Mary Sue but here we are.

I’m all for female leads and strong women. My wife and I enjoyed She Hulk. Ditto JLO in Enough, Jennifer Garner in Peppermint, Halle Berry in The Call etc, etc. but I wouldn’t go so far as to disbelieve the report.

2 Likes

The movie is called BLADE.

BLADE is not a woman.

1 Like

Sex is irrelevant, just make a good series.

I think sex is relevant. Wouldn’t want a Wonder Woman Movie staring a man in the role.

1 Like

Marvel owns the rights to Wonder Man so probably not happening.