Bronze & Copper age comics heating up!

This is a thread dedicated to Bronze and Copper age books heating up or gaining traction.

With news of Eros (Strafox) joining the MCU, his first (full) appearance as well as first cover in Captain Marvel #27 from 1973 is seeing a lot of movement as well a spike in price. There still may be some deals out in the wild but time is running out. This book also is the second Drax and third Thanos.

Eros first appeared in Iron Man #55 which is a big-time, expensive bronze age key so collectors and investors snatching up Captain Marvel #27 makes sense. Be on the lookout!

4 Likes

My favorite Bronze Age comic that is also heating up more and more would be, “Werewolf by Night,” 32. It features the first appearance of Moon Knight. Good stuff.

2 Likes

@davidbitterbaum Absolutely.
I would add that the follow up issues have also steadily climbed and gotten hot simply because #32 is so expensive. #33, and #37 are great issues. Even #31 is a good book as it has a preview of him for issue #32.

When folks can’t afford the big dog books they seek a decent runner up.

1 Like

I find it harder to find issue #37 in decent shape and availability than #32…

What’s funny is, judging both of these from outside of the case, I would put the 7.5 as a higher grade than the 9.0. To me, it looks like it’s in better condition. Staples and fold is more aligned, no visible stress marks on the spine and the 9.0 has a more rounded corner on lower left side than the 7.5 does…

4 Likes

Such an awesome cover!

Ahh… the beauty of the word “Subjectivity”.
You feel the 7.5 is nicer than the 9.0; but the Mickey Mouse club says otherwise.
And yet the Mickey Mouse club rules the roost - because we all have allowed them to.

1 Like

It’s actually a reason I bought the 7.5. I had the 9.0 already (when I bought it a few years back, it was the highest graded copy I could find available online as I was actually seeking a 9.2-9.6). I was casually browsing about 4-6 months later and saw the 7.5 and I was like… holy crap, that one looks more appealing than my 9.0… I’m buying cause it was a fraction of what I paid for the 9.0.

2 Likes

In other words, I buy the book, not the slab cause if I had the choice between the 7.5 and the 9.0 at the same time, I would have bought the 7.5 over the 9.0.

1 Like

I just wish everyone in the hobby did this.
I’d posit you are in the minority for not looking at that number as gospel.

But then comes the argument why slab at all if you can’t trust the numerical grade.
And around and around and around and around we go.

I love slabs for the $$$ it brings me; but do not like how they have made many in the hobby lazy, uninformed, overtly trustworthy, and not very competent with their own skillset(s) within the hobby.

1 Like

I went the slab route on my Moon Knights (and some other books) just for the protection/preservation route for the most part. I couldn’t be bothered trying to find some of these raw online, I’d want to see them in person if I was gonna go that route and then get them slabbed. Unfortunately there’s only 1 shop now in Austin that carries back issues and I just don’t shop there anymore.

1 Like

There’s been chatter on some of the spec sites/shows about mutants coming to MCU with the Savage Land which didn’t make a lot of sense to me, but Ka-Zar books have started popping. Heritage is getting some (IMHO) ridiculous prices on high grades tonight

1 Like

Bring it! :wink:

8 Likes

4 Likes

To no ones surprise I’m sure is Star Wars #42. Quite a few have sold the past week. I wonder why? (sarcasm)

Anyway, the time to find this issue cheap in any grade is long gone but it has established itself as a legit key the past couple years and will most likely continue to go up in value continuously as big keys do.

2 Likes

First Dengar. Everyone loves Dengar. He’s like a cyborg mummy. Appeals to two interests.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, neither CBCS or CGC make any identification of character first appearances (which is true…as the story and art was released in other medium prior). CBCS does state it’s first Boba cover.

But why suddenly people want this book now? Suddenly people are like, “crap…I’d better get in on this Boba Fett comic…he has his own series now!”

2 Likes

Hulk 156 1st and only appearance of Krylar. Apparently Bill Murray might play him in Ant-Man

1 Like

What a random character. Makes sense for Murray to have something odd.

1 Like

It’s funny as I’ve always loved the Fett book. I had this graded in the very infancy of CGC. Never pressed as folks really weren’t even doing much of that then. Not sure when but I’d guess 2001.

I just missed grabbing another yesterday. Raw copy at a shop was $150. I saw it Wednesday, but I was in a hurry and in the middle of a bad snowstorm. Went back yesterday and it was gone. One day I’ll learn to never hesitate with this stuff. If you see something, have the urge and insight, pull the trigger.

7 Likes

This may be the most true fact, these days, about comic purchases. Hesitate and stuff is gone an in instant. It is INCREDIBLE how quick people are these days.
I saw a book the other day (I think it was Planet Comics 1) that was in gorgeous condition but price was “average”. When I watched it, it had 5 watchers already. Then a few hours later it had 10. Then a few more later, I saw 15. Then I just bought it even though I had bought a freaking whole bunch in days past. I’m convinced it’d been gone in a few minutes/hours

4 Likes