CBCS Pickups

@D-Rog… what do you think of this? A guy posted these pics in another group I participate in. He said he was cracking this to re sub, and when all was said and done, that he was able to open the CBCS slab, remove the book, and then was able to reassemble the slab, with very little evidence of tampering. He went on to say that this was not his initial intention, and if he used different tools to crack the slab then he feels he could open and close the cbcs slab with little to no evidence. :thinking:

Screenshot_20200222-080005

Screenshot_20200222-080018

I actually have a feeling this is done all too often with some slabs. There are some clever people out there who are willing to likely swap out books with problems to con buyers.

Another comment in that OP stated that CBCS plans on introducing a new case this coming spring. For what that’s worth.

Hmmm… I’ll have to check that out. I’m going to crack one of my CBCS Shazam #28 that I submitted a couple years ago before I started pressing. I think it has a chance to press to a 9.4 or maybe a 9.6 (if I re-submit to CGC). I’ll have to see if I can remove it the same way, with little to no visible damage. Glad to hear CBCS is looking to introduce a new case if it combats this.

1 Like

That’s an older slab, possibly 3-4 years ago. The newer slabs have a strip across the label part of the inner well, which prevents removal of the comic/label without obvious damage to the seal.

It doesn’t make the encasement tamper proof, but it does make it so the comic cannot be separated from the label without obvious damage to the label such that you can’t swap out a lower grade comic with the same label.

It’s called “tamper evident.”

But yes, BOTH CGC and cbcs OLDER cases can be carefully pried open and the labels swapped out without much evidence of tampering.

I’ll find the article and post.

The label on the far right is the one with the tamper evident seal. Can’t swap labels without destroying the seal, my understanding.

These are just examples of older labels which don’t have the tamper evident seal.

Can’t get into cbcs forums…seems like it’s down for maintenance. But I believe there’s an article there that explains the most recent security measures with today’s encapsulation.

4 Likes

Yeah CBCS forums down according to the guys over at the cgc forums.

I looked over at the cgc forums…didn’t think posters were even “allowed” to mention cbcs by name. Still, I struggle navigating that forum and wasn’t able to find any conversation about it…

Yeah in the Blocked EBay thread they were talking about it. Funny because they never ever say it by name. It’s always Voldemort or He Who Should Not Be Named. I actually do believe it’s a rule.

That’s just dumb… Imagine if we told everyone here you’re not allowed to say BleedingCool…

2 Likes

From the CBCS forums FAQ Thread What is to stop someone from switching out labels on a CBCS slab?:

In September, 2017, CBCS announced that they will be placing a heat seal through the CBCS logo on the label. If anyone attempts to remove a label, the logo will be ripped.

Basically, it was possible to open the case, swap out the label of a higher grade book (as the label wasn’t sealed in like the comic was), then put it back in the slab. Now the label cannot be removed without damaging it. Also to separate the comic from the plastic it would require quite a large incision which should be obvious from outside the slab.

That’s my understanding of the temper evident CBCS case.

CBCS doesn’t have magazine size slabs, but does have “raw grading” for oversized comics/magazines.

Knowing this book is really tough to fine in NM grade, and knowing CBCS topically grades tighter than CGC (on the numbers scale),
And that I have every other key Boba Fett comic out there, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to Have the “true” first appearance.

I bid a little more than I initially wanted to pay, but now that it’s here definitely worth it. Very sharp and crisp cover. Looks 9.6 (Or what would pass as 9.6 on the CGC curve) but will have to “break the seal” to see for sure. No real incentive not to as I’m not looking to flip and will either keep it raw or send it for encapsulation.

Score!

2 Likes

Great looking book. Thats an awesome cover. Congrats on the pick up.

Just got the email today…These were received December 23rd. 9 months turn around time.

I did have CBCS do the pressing, which was a terrible mistake from a TAT standpoint…would have gotten them back in half the time if I used an outside presser…and same price.

@D-Rog I’m happy you are getting them back, and can’t wait to see them, but imo…that is absolutely unacceptable for a turn around time and I cannot understand how CBCS stays in business with that sort of thing. You are not the first person I’ve heard relative to those extremes. It doesn’t matter to me if you got them pressed through them or not. Of course, I realize it takes longer, but they are clearly not able to provide the services effectively they are charging for. Do something right…or do not do it at all. There is also way to much room for error, loss, issues over the course of that time period.

It’s really their pressing that’s the issue. I believe TATs took a hit like everyone else for grading due to COVID, but the absence of a convention season they got back in track.

I believe they have one guy…maybe two…doing all the pressing. And he’s in Florida which means all books for pressing get shipped to FL and back from Texas. They’re not just going to hire people off the street to do that job.

And here they are…how’d I do?

First, my Transformers for the PC. I bought all of these off eBay, many from the same two sellers.

The newsstands have a date stamp too on the back cover, which I thought would but these in the 9.6 or less range. I thought some 9.8s were possible, but to go 9 for 9…I’m beside myself. Never got a 9.8 from CBCS before, which is also part of my surprise.

Now here’s the one I was hoping would come back 9.8…May have to list this when the next Spider-verse movie comes out…

And the one disappointment…

I was thinking 8.5 at worst…9.2 at best. I had all these pressed, but this one still has a spine roll…or just mis-cut. So I need to check the graders notes but this one presents so much better than 7.5s it isn’t funny aside from the mis-cut which isn’t supposed to be a hit to the grade…likely will send this into CGC for a second opinion.

4 Likes

You got quite the 9.8 streak on those TF books. Nice job, Drog. Great looking submission. :eyes:

Love seeing these! Great stuff!

With that ridiculous turnaround time, pandemic or not, I’m glad you got so many 9.8s.

1 Like