CBCS Pickups

Most comic collectors have tunnel vision and have one modus operendi. We believe valid data if it fits what we want to hear and disregard the data if it doesn’t.
I’ve seen enough from enough unfortunate collectors that have gotten their cgc shipments to draw a non-numerical conclusion that they are out in left field lately.
But yea… that tunnel vision… and the money… we’ve got too much invested in that cgc ponzi scheme for it to improve as it NEEDS to. We’re not even trusting the grades. Says alot… don’t it

2 Likes

You’re not trusting the grades… not everyone.

I’ve got more examples in my own collection that you’d be appalled at

2 Likes

Start posting pictures or don’t bring it up.

I did in another post for you

1 Like

You did… and that’s a pretty small sample size of the overall product involved.

I’ll give you more if it makes you happy. But then… ya know … that tunnel vision

1 Like

This topic seems to be getting off track. If you all want to start a topic of all the Slab Company Woes and Hiccups, let’s do that. Let’s get this one back on track of actually posting your CBCS pickups, not debating who’s the best and worst.

3 Likes

Apologies… I will agree to disagree and move on.

That’s what returns are for. However many thing third party graders don’t have an exact formula and it’s not opinion based, so ebay sellers refuse to accept returns on graded comic.

You’re still buying the comic…not the plastic or paper label.

Last CGC book I retuned from eBay was a 9.6 grade and the corner inside was folded over. Couldn’t see it in the pics. Likely happened after grading, but I’m not accepting that as the grade.

Other 9.6s i returned because they had numerous spine ticks breaking color. Ironically I had other CGC 9.6s of the same book to compare to.

I’m not saying this doesn’t happen with other grading companies…unfortunately I rarely find the book I want already slabbed in anything other than a CGG case so my bad over grading experiences have been almost exclusively CGC.

Honestly, even with graded comics we should be asking for as many photos of the book in the slab

2 Likes

Didn’t see this until after posting. So I’ll move on now.

1 Like

I can bring up three points against CGC

1. Star Wars High Republic “cover less variant”
  2. Eniac Ashcan 9.8
  3. 9.2 Marvel Premiere #15 that was featured in This old chu post

All three are examples of mistakes made by cgc. Cgc is supposed to be expert restoration detectors but failed to spot a bootleg and a comic with the cover torn off. Is this a chastising of cgc, no, but this is neither hearsay nor just a horror story. Cgc is not infallible and like any other company the grading is subjective based off their set standards. And if they have set standards the three above examples show that they can be wrong. Personally I feel that Overstreet’s grading guide has been the benchmark for years and was, before cgc, the commonly accepted grading standard. (Personally I use New Kadia’s grading sheets to grade books when asked for my opinion, they are easy to use and helps give me a baseline to go by on older books, but even then the grade is subjective). The game changer was the 9.8 grades. They became more desirable in many cases than books themselves. Before cgc 9.8 became the standard, and other old guys will agree, 9.4 was usually the desirable grade for a book.

So what if you do not agree with my grading? Don’t buy the book. If I say I believe a book is a 9.8 and you say that you think it is a 9.4, move on. Buy another copy. I rarely grade anything as a 9.8 candidate as I am overly picky in my grading so if I say it’s a 9.8, it’s probably gonna come back a 9.8 (had one that was a 9.8 that came back as a 9.0, why? The artist who sketched on the book thumbed the upper right corner causing a bend that I didn’t see when the book was handed to the graders. But it was a blank sketch cover with a Deadpool sketch on it that still went for hundreds of dollars. But I digress.

6 Likes

And thy CHU Lord hath spoken…

Now, back on topic! :wink:

Half our threads wander off-topic, but most return to it eventually. Part of our forum’s charm.

I’m not innocent in getting us off-topic by any means either.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s fine but other times its gonna drift off into no return la la land…

Now… Back on topic! If the next comment ain’t about your CBCS pickups… I’ll be shoving my CBCS slabs where the sun dont shine… :wink:

Okay, here is a recent “treat yo’ self” pickup. While I’m not a big fan of Frank Miller’s current style, his impact is undeniable and this is one of the better Batmans I’d seen from him in recent years.

I was surprised this got a 9.8 because the back has noticeable dirt and color rub near the spine. Happy to have a Miller Batman regardless.

7 Likes

Love this book. I’ll continue to buy any copy I find if the price is right. Got a nice deal on this one (relatively speaking). It’s funny as much of the hype seems to be on Sabine, but I think Hera will be the biggest player in the future. (Certainly not discounting Sabine or the others though).

6 Likes

Doubt my two currently at CBCS will come back 9.8, but it sure looks nice in a cbcs slab!

2 Likes

… and the best part, one knows it’s accurately graded. What a concept from a 3rd party grader

2 Likes

Received today from the Howard Chaykin in-house signing.
All 5 comics were within 0.2 of my personal estimated grade before I sent them in.
11 weeks TAT (including the signing)
CBCS Dashboard updated within 5 days of confirmed USPS receipt
No damages.
No cracks, scratches, hassles
Nice, secure, clear, redesigned cases
Accurate grading

Another company should take note how it’s done.

6 Likes