CGC pickups

I had my first CGC submission returned to me today. I had a few disappointments, but it is a fun learning curve. Here’s what I got…

I was expecting 9.6s for the Thor 337, Avengers Annual 10 and the GI Joe 21 (with GI Joe possibly a 9.8). So, I’m disappointed with those 9.4s. I’m happy with the GI Joe 21. The Maximum Carnage book is HTF in any grade, I was hoping for something in the 9s, but, I can live with the 8.0 White pages. I paid $4 CND for it, so, it’s just kinda neat to have.

These were the gems of this small submission. I’m very happy with the ASM361 as I essentially paid cover price. The Venom 1 McFarlane one per store variant I paid about $20 CND ($15 US). And I have like 10 copies of the NM14 and sent in my best copy hoping for a 9.8 for my PC. I may attempt a CPV copy I have in high grade too.

Screenshot_20200228-233811

These were two big disappointments. Boo-urns on the Savage Shulkie #1 newsstands. I was expecting 9.6s. Had them pressed and everything. The books have virtually no tics to the naked eye. The 9.2 I’m still a bit puzzled on, and the 7.5 had graders notes attached that essentially referenced a flaw that I was convinced into thinking was production. It had this weird ass crease running almost 1/4 of the way across the cover, starting at the right side and going over to Shulkies left knee. It totally looks like a production fold from the paper stock roll. I’ve seen a few raw SSH1s with this same crease, some worse than others. The presser guy, who I am not wholly happy with (another story for another day maybe) convinced me that some of the defects were production, and it wouldn’t hurt the grading to much, if at all. Boy, was he wrong. Lol. Live n learn. I already own a SSH1 9.6 direct, so, I was hoping to replace that direct 9.6 in my PC with a 9.6 Newsstand.

This is my next batch that I’m getting ready to submit and I am going to use a different presser this time. I’ve been directed towards a guy in the USA that has really good reviews and endorsements from people who I wholly trust, who have a lot more experience than me in this grading game. I have pulled a few books from my CGC queue today that I now think may not grade as well as I initially thought, having learned a ton from my first submission experience today.

Overall, I’m pretty happy. I got some sweet books to add into the CGC collection, and I learned a lot about the whole process.

4 Likes

Best bet is to assume all production ceases will hurt grade, unless EVERY copy in existence has them and therefore cannot be used as a discriminator between books. I’ve even had “production crease” or “manufacturing crease” listed as the defect in the graders notes, which typically summarize only the defects that impact/most influence the final grade.

I believe cgc and cbcs even have notes in their database such observed production flaws (for popular books like SH1) and know when they should be considered a true defect.

Basically, if there are better books out there from the same printing, why should one with a defect, even if it comes that way from the manufacturer, be given special exception? Very rare to see that given exemption, in my experience. So the presser lead you astray unfortunately. Sorry for that. But lesson learned (been there myself).

Overall a very good outcome. Surprised no CPVs in that bunch! Nice Thor 337…too bad it’s not a file copy :wink:.

Next batch looks like some heavy hitters as well! Good luck!

1 Like

One other thing, what presser are you considering using in the US? I’ve used a few and have been very happy with the results (many 9.8s and one 9.6 that had a crease like you had mentioned in the she hulk). He one I used hand delivers the books to CGC and thus saves a little expense and risk on shipping and risk of handling.

I am looking at using Denis Schafer, @D-Rog, from CBPS out of OKC. As recommended by the guys over at CBSMT, non FB division :wink:.

To be honest, I don’t have a ton of CPV keys. Lots of CPVs of cheaper books, but not a lot of higher grade CPV keys. This submission of mine was partly PC book of higher grade 1sts of a lot of my fav characters. I like to have 9.6 or better for the 1sts of all my fav modern/Bronze/Silver characters (with obvious financial exceptions). Looks like I’ve got some upgrading to do, lol.
My CPVs are queued for my fifth submission.

Very nice lot of books! Can’t wait to see what the Hulk #180 grades at! A great presser compared to a good presser can make a world of difference. Hope the guy new guy does your next batch justice!

I don’t get some production creases. Sometimes CGC ignores them and sometimes they don’t. I sent in an ASM #129 a few years ago. I bought in in the early 90’s as a NM and I truly thought it was. It is just a beautiful book. It has a somewhat long wrinkle that doesn’t break color. Hard to notice unless you are very close and know where to look. It looked like production. Anyway, they gave it a 9.0. Not awful but was expecting a little more.

I should be getting part of my last CGC batch returned next week. I will post photos. I pressed every single one and I have to say I had very good success. Seven of the eight are bronze age where I originally graded them at 8.5 to 9.2. All of them graded a CGC 9.6 after the pres. The modern age book I thought was a 9.6 and it got a 9.8 after the press. I will show photos when they get here.

Again, nice books even with the few disappointments there some very awesome gems!..Those “disappointments” are pretty nice too!

Thank you for the kind words, @rob92807. I’m looking forward to seeing your subs. I know you have some big books in your collection and that you have a keen eye for good comic books.
I want to be subbing somewhat on the regular now. Getting that box is like Christmas morning. I didn’t check my grades before, so it was all a surprise. And as I said above, it’s a fun learning curve. And if you are half decent at it, you can literally make money through the whole learning curve. Hopefully with increasing ROIs with each sub.
Comic books for the win! :nerd_face:

Thanks jcLu. You nailed it! Every time I get my shipment from CGC it literally is like Christmas! Yeah, comics I have had for a while, but now in tight, shiny cases that sparkle showing the world what grade they are just make me feel good in a way only fellow comic geeks/nerds/enthusiasts can understand!

I have been buying spec books for about five years now. It started innocently enough but now my wife would probably say I have gone a little overboard. There is definitely a learning curve. Right now I would say I have done really well overall. At the beginning I did go all in on some books that turned out to be misses such as Enormous (and a few others). I have a nice stack of those. Too bad on that one. It was a good series. Maybe someday it will get its due. I did do well at the same time with books such as Shazam #28. They were dirt cheap then and I just had a gut feeling DC would get it done with the Rock and officially sign him. Still have a small stack of #28 and pressing has done wonders for about half. Eternals and FF annual #6 are some winners I got multiples of when they were still dirt cheap.

Right now I am just looking forward to the beginning of the Phase 4 films as well as the new Disney + Marvel shows to seek out all the hidden Easter eggs that will hint at what is to come.

2 Likes

Here is my latest batch of CGC books.They all graded higher than expected. Pressing certainly helped.

2 Likes

The newest CGC book I’ve bought. Since I now have two covers for this I suppose I have to get the rest as well. Thankfully not a ton of variants for this particular issue. Spent half of what the last one sold for.

1 Like

So crappy picture but I didn’t take it. I wanted a higher grade but I wasn’t willing to spend that much for a 9.6. Paid FMV for it and after buying the seller informed me that it hadn’t been pressed/cleaned so it could possibly grade higher.

2 Likes

It appears everyone’s cutting down. I can’t pass a good deal though.

1 Like

Some more for your peepers.

1 Like

That 2nd print Point One is going to get a lot bigger once the D+ show gets closer!

2 Likes

What were the grader notes on the UF #4?

Likely will get pushed out. Even shows are put in hold. Expect new release dates for shows and movies now.

Yeah I wish I could afford the Captain Marvel 14 2nd print but it’s way to expensive and I can’t justify a Modern at that price. I could pick up several high grade silver age books for what it’s going for. I actually already have a raw copy and 4 graded copies of the point one first prints.

As far as UF4 I haven’t checked graders notes. I bought it from someone so Idk if I’d have to pay or not. It doesn’t look like it could benefit from a press though. Looks pretty perfect to me.

For your viewing pleasure. Still have only found two newsstands for this series.

Favorite writer and one of my all time favorite series combined with being dirt cheap. $23 not including shipping.

This has been on my list for awhile. I’ve owned a few raw copies but never a graded one. Sweet Buscema art and first Tiger Shark.

1 Like