CGC pickups

3 Likes

My 1st Supergirl never got shipped so bought this with the refund

Think I have enough graded books to build an igloo now. :snowflake:

Don’t blame you! One of my favorite Silver Age Marvel covers!

Just another Modern.

SHAMBALA!!!

Down to only needing AF #15, Hulk #1, JITM #83, #85 Loki and a handful of early Spidey Villains to be done with all Marvel 1st appearances post Atlas that anyone could name off the top of their heads.

3 Likes

But do you have the 1st Yellow Hulk?

1 Like

That’s Just Hulk with Hepatitis from sharing needles with Black Widow, it’s appalling what goes in kid comics these day’s.:joy:

2 Likes

Jaundice Hulk.

3 Likes

Always wanted a nice graded copy of the book that largely put me on the comic path. I couldn’t swing a 9.8, but got this for a very fair price with an offer. Going to slowly add to my Joe collection with other graded issues.

4 Likes

Been eyeing that book a while myself, but have not pulled the trigger. Also thinking 9.6, but been waiting for the right price of a newsstand variant.

They’re not rare, and show up on eBay a few times a week…so I’ve been biding my time waiting for the right opportunity.

I just got back a 15 book modern CGC submission (including some Copper age beauties). I am ecstatic with my results. I got a lot of these books at really good prices, and they were all paid for from flipping books.
Screenshot_20200605-171223
Screenshot_20200605-171839
Screenshot_20200605-174701

4 Likes

I’m blown away by the bottom row alone. quite impressive. We’re these pressed?

Very very nice.

1 Like

Thank you, DRog. I am quite happy with these results. Mind. Blown. Lol. Yes, I get everything pressed before grading. I’m paranoid not to. I don’t have the greatest eye sight (probably misses his old glasses), so I figure the extra $15 for pressing is well worth the assurance of submitting the book in its best possible condition.

My 1st sub, with so-so results, was pressed by a local guy. He missed (and so did I) some big defects on some books that cost me some better grades. The annoying part being I asked him not to press anything he thought was 9.4 or lower. I received a 7.5 in that sub. A far cry from 9.6+. So, I switched to a new guy who was recommended to me by some very knowledgeable collectors/investors. I will be sending all my books to the new presser guy. Apparently he has the Midas touch.

Mind you, these books are part of the culmination of me picking out high grade keys from collections that have arrived at my LCS’ over the last 2-3 years. It’s a nice self assurance too, of the quality that is out there to be had.

I paid $90 CND ($70 USD) for the SW42…I got the tec880 from profits I made flipping the tec880 black foil con variant. I literally bought the 1st print from a vendor at that same show with my literal proceeds from preselling the foil variant from that con. It was the only copy at said show too. Fate…And I think I paid about $50 CND for the BB1, 1st Terry…Add another $50 CND, per book, for grading, pressing and shipping fees…There’s gold in them there hills, my friend. :beers::v:

1. Invest in good books.
  2. Wait.
  3. Make money.

I remember that. I think you picked out a nice tec 880 foil from that same con for me (to pair with my raw 880…I bought mine off the rack when it came out then forgot about it for several years as I took a break from the hobby…that was an awesome day when I stumbled across it one afternoon). Sweet!

1 Like

A lot of 9.8’s! Very, very nice! A good presser will work wonders! Glad you found one! By this time two years from now you could potentially sell this lot and get a new Car! That Iron fist is a 2k book on its own! Miles along with Cindy’s first are doubling every few months these days! The Detective, well that cover speaks for itself and Boba Fett is about to get even bigger! Congrats!

1 Like

Thanks, OC_Guy. I’m still a little bit shook from the results, tbh, not to sound like a complete dork. But I could not have asked for better submission results. I’ve got a few Miles 2nds (maybe 3rds, white cover, just his maskless face), and a few ASM 4A that are 9.8 contenders, to be submitted shortly.

1 Like

Wow! Very happy for you! Those are beautiful books. I find it so hard to whittle down my list for submissions & I’m sure you are the same.
What is really great is that so many of those have not come close to their potential yet!
Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Kinda jelly you could find a raw 9.8 1st Sabretooth. It’s rare I’ve found old books that are 9.8 contenders maybe twice in all my collecting a first Spider clone and first SA Black Canary. Great stuff I’m very happy for you friend.

2 Likes

@Alana. That IF14 came from a massive, well kept collection that came into one of my LCS’ last March. I paid $600 CND (approx $450 USD) for it. The original owner was an older gentleman who ran a comic book store in the 70s & 80s. All the books seemed like they had been archived in his long boxes since their release dates. That collection had a high grade IH180/181, high grade 1st Thanos and an Albedo #2, that I held (before I really knew what it was). The Albedo prob had a shot at 9.8 too, but I was too green to properly know what I was holding, and so was the shop. Somebody got that high grade Albedo for around $1000 CDN, I think.