CGC Slab Defects

So after this last round of submissions, I’m officially done with CGC.

I sent in some books for grading earlier this year…they came back graded right, but the slabs had scars and damage on the interior. So much that I sent them back to correct it. They were returned a few weeks ago with the same scars.

Ironically I sent in some of my older slabs for a re-holder for the same issue (paid for it as I bought them that way), and they returned this week and appear as though they just sent them back as if nothing had been fixed.

I can’t tell if it’s the wall of the slab, or if it’s the inner sleeve. But they look horrible.

Sent an email to CGC requesting them to fix it (again). See what happens. But after this I’m done. CBCS is truly the “clear” choice.

Pics below in case anyone was curious what “scars” I’m. Referring to. Tough to get the right angle as the slabs reflect the light back.

These are all 9.6/9.8 books so this isn’t damage to the book itself.

1 Like

That’s a bummer, it def affects eye appeal. If it’s on the outside, maybe something like compound remover can get it off? Just make sure whatever you use won’t damage or ‘burn’ the plastic making it look worse. Hope you can get it fixed ASAP.

1 Like

For that wonderful price increase earlier this year, one gets scars and a whole bundle of incompetence.
A’int it great?

2 Likes

It’s on the inside. I can’t do anything about it. Which is why I have to keep sending them back.

1 Like

Now I’m wondering if my Hell Arisen 3 has a similar issue… I’ll have to look at it, as there is a white blotch around the top left corner.

I’ve got that on a cgc book

So annoying. I have a pretty large stack of books to send in for grading and I can’t decide who to send to or when. Honestly, it’s just too crazy to do any grading right now, for me anyways.

1 Like

1 Like

Because of supply chain issues, I wonder if CGC are reusing cases…

1 Like

If they need plastic, I’ve heard there’s plenty of that shit in our oceans… :cry:

6 Likes

I bet it’s also that new company that bought them with investor/shareholders changing things to save money… CGC quality was bad enough already, expect it to get worse before it gets better.

2 Likes

I havent had interior scarring of the books but I did submit 8 Star Wars magazines in 2 separate submissions and all 8 slabs came back cracked. Eventually got them reslabbed but that took another month.

1 Like

Can’t make plastic without oil.

Can’t make oil without dead dinosaurs… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They can’t make proper plastic cases if they had all the oil, dead dinosaurs, and magic in the world

1 Like

Technically, we just can’t make plastic at scale without oil. Making the monomer feedstocks are certainly possible, just not on an industrial scale.

1 Like

Just put up a windmill that poops plastic out the other end.

3 Likes

Replace “a windmill” with “e. coli” and that’s basically the route under development.

2 Likes

I’m assuming the cases are damaged such that they cannot be reused when comics are removed. So highly doubt this.

My concern is they are encapsulating comics in cases that have scratches or where not buffed enough to remove any scratches (or maybe they were over-buffed), or they are not replacing the inner sleeve when re-holdered unless the latest slabs are not compatible.

Either way it’s lead to my 9.8/9.6 comics looking like they have scratches all over them, or mold.

Which means if I try to sell them (my intention) they will be returned to me at my expense. And If I disclose the case defects when listing I’ll not get top dollar. Likely get less than I would if they were in a CBCS case same grade.

I’m not trying to be a jerk or rip them on quality…I just want the clear case I paid for. But started this thread for others awareness n case others are seeing a trend. They won’t change what they do unless it hits them in the profits.

2 Likes

I bought a copy of Stray Dogs #1 9.8 for a really good price and sent it back because it had this scarring all over the back. I thought it was damage to the book that occurred after grading!!!

1 Like