Children of the Atom #1

History has shown us that these ‘secret’ variants are typically about 1:7. There is no formulaic way that these are distributed, and giving them a ratio is misleading, as they are not ratio qualified variants. They are no different than a cover B open order variant.

That is exactly what I thought! Really strange choice. Opted for the 1:25 instead.

1 Like

Now you’ve all nudged me into buying a secret variant…sheesh my lack of self-control is startling!

1 Like

That’s cool I’m just reporting you what was shown… diamond boxes opened and the variant was placed every 10 spots… could be 7 could b 5 for some… Either way cool cover and I’m tryna cop it to match cover A.

Nvm

All good. I’m just stating the facts as I know them. :+1:

Anybody know exactly why the title went through rework before its delayed release?

Bleedingcool has posted the names of some of the new characters.

Saved you a click…

Carmen is Gimmick, can “charge up” objects, throw them and see them explode, like Gambit.

Benny is Marvel Guy, who has telepathic powers like Jean Grey.

Gabe is Cherub, who has flight powers with razor/protective wings like Archangel

Jay is Daycrawler, who has Nightcrawler-like teleportation powers and a BAMF sound effect.

And yes, they are all 100% definitely the kids seen last year in Marvel’s Voices from the same creative team.

Couple pages of art COTA2020001_Preview-page-001-scaled-1
COTA2020001_Preview-page-002-scaled-1 COTA2020001_Preview-page-003-scaled-1
COTA2020001_Preview-page-004-scaled-1

Isn’t that a little derivative?

1 Like

Extremely!! I just don’t see this series being a moneymaker (but we shall see).

2 Likes

One possibility is they disappear after a while and show up on a future Disney cartoon.

1 Like

The fact their powers are copies makes me think Mister Sinister is making Chimera…

5 Likes

Already did that with the time traveling young X-men in the all new X-men series from almost a decade ago.

I have no interest in this series spec-wise, Given the premise.

2 Likes

Yeah, I dunno if it has any spec value. I’m gonna get it and read it though as I’m currently picking-up every X-Men book. I’ve been enjoying the big over-arching story through all the comics. I haven’t enjoyed anything related to the X-Men this much since Morrison’s stuff.

1 Like

I gave up on X-Men myself long ago. They’re like the Fantastic Four, the only real spec is in the older issues. I gave Hickman’s latest a go, it’s not bad but it’s also just not that exciting either…

1 Like

Some youtubers were talking about this being made cause of the success of Strange Academy. Cause teen super hero teams learning to use their powers was something strange academy came up with and was never done before right/s

My las had the secret variant in about a 50/50 ratio

Well, I just read the first issue and I’m impressed.
I was hoping it would be a fun read, but I wasn’t sure–given how the characters feel VERY legacy-y ;p
But man, that was a fast and fun read.
The action showcases their abilities while not going down the whole ‘our powers are so new and we can’t control them’ road.
The characterization nicely defines their personalities, their interactions, and sets up internal tension to come.
And the end provided a neat twist that has me interested in reading the rest.

Man, I can’t tell you how nice it is to read something you enjoy.

Oh, and Bernard Chang did a really nice job here–I dig his work here waaaaaay more than his teen titans stint.

1 Like