Comic Investing/Speculating During A Recession

I don’t think it was mentioned in this thread yet to my knowledge.

Don’t forget the fact that millions of Americans haven’t had to pay on student loans for over two years now.

It’s a very hot topic and let’s avoid that please as it is so polarizing, but regardless of the politics or what comes to pass…eventually payments of some sort will start back up and there will be an awful lot of folks with less disposable income because of it (currently slated to start back up at the end of August).

2 Likes

Deals are already popping up on online marketplaces for those with a little capacity to continue to buy.

4 Likes

Sales virtually non existent for me this week. Sold some Marvel/Fornite I found at a shop but that’s it.

I’m also starting to see customers coming into the shop to sell their collections more often. Was at a shop a few days ago and someone brought in some comics to see if the store would purchase them. Told the LCS guy that he had bills due at the end of the month and couldn’t pay them. The guy at the counter told him he had to wait for the shop owner to come but will take his comics for now.

I didn’t know if it was appropriate for me to ask if I could see the comics and buy it from him then. Seems like he needed the money badly and as soon as possible. Looked like he didn’t want to sell it but didn’t have a choice. Sad times.

1 Like

My sales are down 1/3 but I’ve been picking up some stupid deals on auctions.

Anyone who doesn’t have a huge social media presence driving interest has no business starting an auction right now unless they just want to give their stuff away.

2 Likes

I went through that some years ago. The shop I took my books to was offering me $0.25 per comic. I told him “some books are worth more then that.” I got a “well sell them on ebay then.” So I did. Another shop offered me 80% of value for graded books. I had 2 of them. Made some money, lost some money. But I was able to pay my bills :+1:.

1 Like

The shop that offered you 80% value on your graded books was quite generous. Probably wanted it for his own collection.

In general I find that a comic shop is the worst place to bring your comics to. Often times they’ll give you pennies on the dollar. I’ve shared the story of when I was a kid and brought some of my keys to a shop to sell. Among them were 80s and 90s keys like a mint 9.8 ASM 300 among others. The guy looked at me with this disgust like how dare I bring this drek to the presence of his majesty. He actually refused at first but then we settled at a price of 50 cents a book. I was a kid then but I knew I was getting ripped off. Never again was I ever going to bring my comics to a comic shop.

That’s why I will never complain about ebay and other online platforms. Sure they have their problems but these platforms make it much easier to sell your stuff than the pre internet days where you really had to hustle to sell at conventions or to stores. Much easier nowadays.

2 Likes

This 100%. Unless you are loading absolute junk you don’t want to sell at a comic shop, Half Price Books, etc. Now, if you’re looking for stuff to buy, Half Price Books can have amazing deals.

1 Like

If I have something of particular interest to my LCS owner I usually trade it to him to offset my weekly purchases.

I’ve been slowly supplying him with Big Gangan 6 first Manga Mando week to week and they’ve been steadily selling at $40 off the shelf.

1 Like

I’ve been getting website messages inquiring on selling collections, first I’ve ever received. Maybe not a full blown recession yet but people are certainly looking for cash to get by.

2 Likes

This is kind of far afield from the topic, but another indicator that this is on peoples’ minds.

My day job is negotiating sales of commercial real estate. My practice when selling property has been to put a restriction on the land that if the purchaser fails to construct their intended use (let’s say a car wash) and after that fails to operate it for 180 days, the Seller has the right to repurchase the property.

Usually, purchasers shrug at this and don’t really give me much heartburn over it. Recently, within the last 3 months, every single one of my deals has had significant time spent negotiating these provisions back and forth. People are really fighting for their exit plan from their property purchase. They are lacking the confidence they used to in my little corner of the world.

3 Likes

Man I would love to get those emails.

3 Likes

Let’s set you up a store front. Put “we buy collections” on the header and in all the SEO and see if you get any nibbles!

1 Like

Lmfao wtf is that. All they’re missing is “cut back on avocado toast” and “make your own coffee” to complete this boomer-era list for beating inflation.

2 Likes

Also “pull up your boot straps”. But that probably falls under “tighten up”.

1 Like

I’ve got a short list:

-Don’t base the economy on a non-renewable fuel where half the world’s supply is owned by the country’s mortal global enemies.

12 Likes

Well when a good amount of people believe solar panels and windmills will give them cancer they deserve $6 gas and the carbon emissions to breathe.

6 Likes

We are currently developing a car that runs off comics that flopped. We are going to be bazillionaires!

12 Likes

I’ve got some Valiant comics I can drop into my fuel tank if we’re going to talk some serious horsepower of comic flops

1 Like

All this talk of Boomers versus Millenials reminds me of one of the better, “Saturday Night Live,” sketches in recent memory. It is titled, “Millenial Millions,” and it is hilarious. I shall provide the link:

5 Likes