Comic Investing/Speculating During A Recession

Curious this is a legit question for people who slab to resell do you feel nervous slab market can go lower while Raw books find a bottom quicker and more robust market?

Let me edit: Are you more nervous with Spec Slab markets vs. Investment Keys Slab Market should have said this first.

If I slab a book it’s staying in my PC and I want it safe. I don’t mind holding onto my raw books.

1 Like

Raws are cheaper. More attractive. Also depends on the book.

The slab market is over-populated. If you look at the CGC census for popular modern books, it’s flooded.

As soon as people get newly released books, they get sent off to get graded. Terrible mindset.

When you see the census for a book, and there’s 1k, 2k+, etc. 9.8’s, that’s not a good thing for growth.

4 Likes

My theory about the price of graded decreasing more so than raw is the overall cost for the item.

People have less money to spend, so they’re going to go with the cheaper raw alternative.

Modern graded will make a comeback when discretionary income makes a comeback.

1 Like

I like slabs of older stuff. Super-Modern slabs leave me scratching my head but I flip them when able.

2 Likes

I don’t see comeback happening with store variants/100+ comic con variants/ Selling App variants/ Influencer variants… imho

3 Likes

I agree with that. Outside of some gorgeous covers.

I see the comeback being contained to cover A’s and more so ratios.

Edit: lesser printed 2nd, 3rd, etc prints too

2 Likes

The cream of the crop will rise with ‘natural growth/demand’ books that people will like, believe in and invest in will talk with their wallets.

Current market is all hype being forced down our throats with all the “This is the next Miles…” books every damn week.

No thanks I will wait and see what is real and what is hype.

ASM 300 has plenty of graded copies but there is a lot of natural demand not artificial hype.

2 Likes

Right now, for spec related re-sale moderns, I am only slabbing keys. First appearances of characters slated to show up in whatever movie/show universe that will be more than minor players.

9.8 copies of regular issues of popular titles or semi-keys (low level character first or origin stuff) I just can’t see moving at any kind of worthwhile premium right now even if graded. Judging from what this thread has been discussing I am not alone with that.

For the most part selling books un-graded is probably the way to go right now, especially since a lot of people out there don’t have as much to spend these days. If it is a book like Ultimate Fallout 4, yeah get it graded, but if it is something like first Sister Hammer than maybe hold off on sending that one in.

5 Likes

I’ve had a really uptick in slab sales between $300-$700 this month. Slabs that have been on eBay for 8 months. 9.8 - 9.0 modern keys :key:

Just saying

1 Like

Worked a show all last weekend…had a good rapport with most of the vendors.
We sold two 9.8 Newstand New Mutants #98 which made our weekend.
Folks were buying any graded Hulk #340, New Mutants #87, ASM #252, and ASM #300.
Also sold any TMNT we had that were graded (including a #1 3rd print).
Spawn #175

Everything else… especially old, nice, keys sat gathering dust.
Folks want raw as some of you stated…but they also want all these raw books to be absolutely perfect and seem to pass on a single spine tick and a fair price. They are after the 9.8 candidates for a bargain.

I’ll do a full write up on my observations soon.

5 Likes

I don’t sell a ton of books but I seem to cash in on books when no one else has them listed. My stuff is mostly long term and I only sell when books peak. So my strategy is buying while prices are low.

4 Likes

speak of the devil…

this is only the beginning…

3 Likes

Its gonna be a real mess lots of uncertainty and no confidence for buying non essential things for people that will get affected by payrolls

Smh

1 Like

I’m seeing a HUGE ripple effect because of all the big companies who had money is SVB…

and now that money is gone.

1 Like

Makes you wonder auctions houses like Heritage who prob have clients using SVB to pay for auctions what happens now… delayed payments… sellers not gonna be happy… ripple…

1 Like

Banks with the largest declines in the past 2 weeks…

SVB Financial Group (SIVB) (-60%)
PacWest Bancorp (PACW) (-54%)
Signature Bank (SBNY) (-36%)
Western Alliance Bancorp (WAL) (-32.4%)
First Republic Bank (FRC) (-31.3%)
Customers Bancorp Inc (CUBI) (-23.5%)
First Foundation Inc (FFWM) (-20.3%)

1 Like

Nothing to see in the Office Reit sector either… cough Vornado [VNO] cough

Commerical real estate is immune… :thinking:

History repeats it seems

1 Like

lol…I saw that earlier.

Dude should have never been hired at SVB

1 Like

Svb shouldn’t have given bonuses before FDIC shut down a day or two before

And top insiders shouldn’t have sold personal stock positions in late Feb…

No one knew anything… right… :rofl:

3 Likes