Comic Investing/Speculating During A Recession

What have I always said about cryptocurrency or NFTs and such?

“No, just don’t.”

I continue to be proven right.

4 Likes

Agreed. Beyond moving money across borders, the only purpose crypto potentially serves is a way to protect your worth in a hyper-inflation environment.

Study what happened in Venezuela for context.

I saw a list of >500mill market cap traded companies that are clients of SVB on WSB and I rolled my eyes. Everybody wants to know if the companies are going to get their money back sooner rather than later. Wondering whose next to fall as interest rates rise and people want to move money elsewhere.

1 Like

This bank closing and Silvergate closing has spooked markets and yea it will affect collectibles.

These banks catered to high net individuals who probably invest in collectibles.

1 Like

SVB and Silvergate are mostly spooking crypto markets.

The impending massive wave of wage inflation, that Monopoly thought was impossible, is what is spooking the Fed and the stock market.

If payrolls can’t be paid out because of SVB that is a BIG issue it’s not crypto markets spooked.

Regular people’s pockets will be affected which is the big problem.

Wall Street shoots first asks questions later. We shall see what happens next.

2 Likes

Fintech is the other sector to watch for the shoe to drop. Traditional banks are fine for now.

What about Private Equity players you know they have taken on a lot of risk when rates were much lower.

Blackstone (BX) owner of CGC can’t be in the clear we saw the BREIT fund had troubles a couple months ago.

That’s a valid concern, but I doubt the Fed will let that happen. They’ll likely prop them up for that purpose.

2 Likes

Blackstone is going to lose their shirt on the CGC purchase in the short term.

But, they’re so diversified they can easily take the hit.

1 Like

All modern books will be graded 9.6/9.4 so you can CPR them over and over… potential cash crunch solved :rofl:

2 Likes

Also worth noting Disney stock has given up most of it’s post earnings gains. :thinking:

Haha!

That strategy will only work when it makes sense to get modern graded in the first place.

Do these searches on eBay and your jaw will drop:

Comics category - completed auctions:

2018 9.8
2019 9.8
2020 9.8
2021 9.8
2022 9.8

Outside of ratios, just a hand full of books for all of these years combined are selling above $100 right now.

It no longer makes sense to grade at the moment. CGC will absolutely have to lower their prices.

1 Like

Dont twist my words. I said nothing about wage inflation. Every company is adjusting “cost of living” wages across the board. I said “individual raises” weren’t happening.

1 Like

/clears throat…

1 Like

Only thing I see is you starting an argument because your logic/view point is invalid.

1 Like

It would be nice but I don’t see it happening. At best maybe they refrain from raising prices for two or three years. They love money first and foremost.

3 Likes

I have been watching the market.

The graded books that have been moving decently lately are yellow labels vs blue labels non big keys.

Modern Blue label keys still have buyers nibbling.
You have to grade books that make sense and worth the investment.

2 Likes

I will agree graded books arent moving like they did in the past. People are buying more raws. Hell, I sold a few raws this past week for $1,000+. Meanwhile, my slabs aint moving.

3 Likes

Same. Raws are definitely where it’s at right now.

I am buying graded however, when the price is right.

2 Likes