Comic Investing/Speculating During A Recession

I mean by the way Bill Maher and current media pundits utilize the term, it’s pretty clear it’s a label used for virtue signaling by means of championing a cause that an individual or an institution doesn’t actually contribute to by any means, especially monetarily, other than for purposes of social currency, and that said cause is championed under the guise of righteousness through an actuality that is truly a thinly veiled self righteousness rooted in narcissism, and a desire for self adoration/glorification. I think a lot of people think having multi ethnic groups alone is what people on the right claim is woke, which IMO is a bad faith argument utilized to devalue the term that they feel is a threat to whatever they believe and hold dear. I get there are idiots who don’t understand the term and do see it as a multi ethnic catch all…but those people don’t get it IMO. Were the X Men woke for having multi cultural characters? No. Everyone loved the X Men from pretty much day one and especially once Uncanny became the focal point. Could a Feige led X Men film become woke? Welcome to the year 2023. Anything is possible.

1 Like

Woke is the most pointless word possible, beating out “ugh”. It means to the person using it what they want it to mean with a huge assumption of what it means to others. A word without meaning is just a sound. This is a community of literate people in a post literate society where we have so many words to choose from. Words without meaning are one of my pet peaves.

^i digress

With the news about how Grand Theft Auto is officially going to have a trailer for the next game it got me thinking about how there aren’t really any GTA comics. Maybe some homage covers but that’s about it.

Wow, I bought mine, a 4.0 cgc, pre-Covid for around $500. It was a $1200 book at the peak…now back to $500.

Yes, that is a book you shouldn’t worry about long term if you overpaid. I would say it’s a great time to buy it now for those who have to have it.

5 Likes

This time of year is also a good time to get deals as people are holiday shopping or in more need of cash to pay bills leading up.

2 Likes

This can be an interesting side bar conversation.

“What comic did you over pay for during Covid?”

I think the only “regret” was picking up Star Wars #10 from Dark Horse, first A’Sharad Hett. I think I paid $90 for a raw NM- (at best) copy.

I can get a graded 9.6 copy for that price now.

So not terrible. And I funded it with the sale of other Star Wars books that have dipped in price similarly. So kind of balances out in the end.

2 Likes

2nd print hot books are my regret, someone here posted they would drop harder than most and they were so right! Kanan #1 2nd print CGC 9.8 and Marvel Now Point #1 CGC 9.6.

3 Likes
4 Likes

The system is clearly broken and Marvel and Dc has no one to blame but themselves.

2 Likes

I mean, you can blame the Direct Market system to a degree too.

1 Like

I don’t think the big two care. They are pushing harder and harder for online comic sales and reducing the time between when the book hits the shelf and the book hits Marvel Unlimited. It used to be 6mos, now it’s 3. Soon it will be 30 days

Any comic store that hasnt expanded into gaming has no one to blame but themselves.

The guy is spot on in my opinion for 1 thru 6 as it relates to me (which is all I can really comment on).
I can’t comment on 7 or 8.

1 Like

That’s not the point. The point is keeping COMICS PROFITBALE for COMIC STORES

1 Like

Chuck Rozanski/Mile High really leaves me scratching my head at times with their website & prices… however, the man knows the industry and has been a constant for many years. He’s always been savvy with regards to the market.

Along the lines of the article above, this was his recent newsletter.

2 Likes

Nope my poor old eyes cannot read anything on his site

3 Likes

Basically, Chuck says they gave up on new comics (and Diamond) and are more about selling collectibles.

That definitely tracks with what I saw when I visited a few years ago. They had next to no new comics for the week.

2 Likes

Did I read that right in the article that Mike High has virtually all of their back issues at 50% off?

If you sign up for their e-mail, every week you get to sit thru a lecture from Chuck and at the end there’s a different code word sale % for that week. His comics are generally marked up 3 to 4 times what the going rate elsewhere is so frequently even 50% off translates into over paying but he does horde a lot of comics so if you’re looking for rare, hard to find stuff he may have an overpriced copy. Just make sure to get the e-mailed code word of the week so you only get overcharged some.

5 Likes