Comic Investing/Speculating During A Recession

Says one of a kind

1 Like

I agree with you. Even though there is talk of a recession looming, and high inflation, as long as companies are hiring and income is available, people are going to spend. Heck, even with the increase in fuel prices, traffic is still bad, and I suspect people have not changed their driving habits. The fecal matter will hit the rotating machinery, when the hiring stops and layoffs start - Hopefully not !

I have cut back a lot on comics this year. I am just pulling a few comics at my LCS. I have not purchased too many comics online either the past few months. I have been picking up a few older comics whenever I come across them in the wild if they are cheap. I have been busy making the 3D printed miniatures these days. I have 16 sets now and starting to do well with them.

4 Likes

Annoying how the owner kept calling it “bubba fett.”

1 Like

Poor choice of wording on my part and I stand corrected on that as they are related. I think my thought process/issue with the history is when I hear statements that the horrible incident was just the only catalyst that led to the cancellation. It likely wasn’t going to happen regardless with folks realizing it was a risk already.

I recall trying use a pocket knife to dig that damned missile out of the back pack even. I was like “what the hell”.
You can see where the new updated sticker is placed over the old ad on this one.

I can’t even imagine what that Toy Fair mock up would now fetch!

Recession does not affect comic book art. A paneled page of Silver Surfer Black by Tradd Moore just sold for $25k, so I have pretty much gone to full comic book art speculation because it is much more worth my time and funds. My OA sales last month was almost $50k, although it was admittedly an exceptional month.

2 Likes

Recession affects everything, including art. We are not in a recession yet…

2 Likes

Yeah, we are not there yet. I sold a vintage loose Obi-wan figure for $102.50 on eBay last night. A few years ago it would not have gone for more than $35. Hot, in the moment stuff, is still hot. We are not there yet but give it about 6 more months and gas and food prices will have taken their toll.

The slabs were already sold by CGC to the seller. Those graded comics aren’t selling because there was never any demand for a graded modern nothing book. Slabbing for slabbings sake was never a good investment.

3 Likes

This is what I paid yesterday for gas here in Southern California. I head that some places in downtown L.A. are paying $8 and some change for gas…

1 Like

the place in LA charging 8 does it on purpose, there always the highest cause it gets them unlimited free advertising. average price in LA in 5.50-6.00

2 Likes

What a selfish way to get advertisement

Guess we gonna see a lot more content creators doing the “Comics In Recession” subject.

The title is very click bait… :rofl:

But his dad was one of biggest comic book dealers that went through multiple recessions.

He shows off book data from 2006 to Today for blue chip books.

New Mutant 98 9.8s in 2006 were $100? :open_mouth:

Also it will be interesting to see how the big shops deal with this.
Like Mile High retiring the 60% off code that has been around for many many months to the new one 50% off. Let’s see if they change it again lower anytime soon.

1 Like

How comics will fare through a depression is the real question.

2 Likes

Well not much data from 1929 for comic books sales :wink:

5 Likes

What’s the story behind that comic investment guy and his father. He always indicates his father was one of the foremost, largest comic dealers ever.
Just genuinely curious if it was a store? Online presence, etc? Who is/was he?

I’ve seen a few videos by them. Appears pretty wealthy. More power to him.

1 Like

2006 wasn’t a good year for comics the mid 90s crash was still in effect comic collecting was at a all time low Marvel was hanging on by a thread. Since then we have had 100 comic movies, 100 comic shows, 100 comic video games which has created a renewed interest in comic collecting. The biggest difference in comic collecting compared to 20 years ago is it’s now a worldwide hobby.

10 Likes

Interesting. Hi does one stay up to speed on that? Any to look out for?

There also becoming investments to people outside hobby.

1 Like