Comic Investment 2020

Fantastic Four #48 9.0. 1st Appearance Of Galactus And Silver Surfer!

1 Like

And thatā€™s why I need adviseā€¦

The 1st moonknight is your best bet out of those offer $700 for the 6.0

They run about $1000 on eBay but you get a 4.0 for half that

$1500 on the 8.0 punisher would be a decent offer for both sides.

I guess the 7.0 1st Panther is what the going rate is these days

Yeah, some of his prices are a bit on the high end compared to what you can get on Ebay. No idea what your budget is but he does have some nice books even if some are overpriced. Just to get things started ask him what his lowest price would be for the 181 after any taxes. 3k for a CGC 7.0 isnā€™t bad but if you can pay $2700 or so after taxes and out the door that would be a pretty good deal on a higher graded first full Wolvie! That book will never have a ceiling!

That book (SW #42) is looking better and better everyday. Really good to have right now!

Just as a side note ā€¦ as a shop owner myself, I have never tried to meet eBay prices ā€¦ many of the folks on eBay sell out of their home and just donā€™t have the overhead ā€¦ I do, however, use eBay and other sites to see what the online market is ā€¦ generally using sold prices, not listed ā€œwishā€ prices ā€¦

In addition, there is a certain value, I believe, in being able to hold a product and examine it prior to making a purchase ā€¦ I have also been known to loan money to long time in store Customers, using books they have bought from me in the past as collateral ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll see if I can work out a deal on that 181.

1 Like

My LCS also has payment plans which is what I wanna do lol

I worked at an LCS in college and the owner gave me free reign to buy in books. He knew I was a very conservative grader and would let me price and sell whatever I liked. The pay wasnā€™t great but I also got deals on keys that he knew I was after so it worked out great for me
Honestly at what our buy in was selling at eBay prices was never a problem. Sure, thereā€™s overheard, but most sellers on the bay didnā€™t stumble onto some grail in a back issue bin or pay pennies at an Estate Sale. They donā€™t have operating expenses but they often times have a higher buy in than we would. We were either paying cash, or a higher value at trade which meant we essentially saved money twice. First we gave them less than market value because we had to make a living too, and then they used that credit to buy other things we also bought at below market. We had a lot of resellers in our store. They paid eBay prices, happily, and would sell the books when they hit whatever their magic number for finally letting them go on the bay. I know we probably couldā€™ve made more but the owner was happy moving those books, and what we couldnā€™t sell off the wall or at shows shifted over to eBay eventually anyway. Ultimately, selling at those prices just made us more competitive in the local market place, and when media related keys came through our door no one hesitated to buy. Iā€™d always tell them ā€œItā€™s fair. Feel free to compare it with completed auctionsā€. I can remember selling some keys l, like first Thanos, or first Black Panther (at their peak value wise) within an hour of their store arrival. Now we were a college town and could cycle through keys quickly, which I know isnā€™t the case everywhere, but Iā€™m a firm believer that nothing is worth more than it sells for on Feebay.

These two books came to mind as wellā€¦but theyā€™re already hitting a leak right now, so not sure now is the timeā€¦but we also said that about Ultimate Fallout 4 and EotSV2 when Spiderverse came out, didnā€™t we.

The 4 books above may have been my best investments the past 2 years. And I bought them for my PC, not necessarily to invest.

Glad I got my copies of 42/68 for less than $100 slabbed when I didā€¦now wouldnā€™t be able to rationale spending the cash for them they go for now.

Definitely true for raw books. Wonā€™t pay over $100 for a raw unless I can examine itā€¦never have paid that much, come to think of it.

But itā€™s also true for slabbed books, as even with grading companies grading is subjective and Iā€™ve seen some bad gradesā€¦in particular by cgc lately. Need to examine the book even in the slab.

When I bought my FF49 cgc 4.0 I passed on many a 4.5 and 5.0 because I did not find them to be as asthetically pleasing as the 4.0. save about $100 too going with the lower grade.

Iā€™m putting a lot of my money in Post 2000 Newsstands. I try and stick with keys or firsts but if itā€™s a Marvel title Iā€™ll buy it if the price is right. I think theyā€™re going to be very sought after and people are starting to understand just how rare some of them are. Iā€™m also putting a fair amount in different characters. Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, etc. A lot of the Silver Age keys Iā€™ve owned and are now out of my price range. Pre Code Horror is another great area.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to add one more book on here that I think is absolutely a key and worthy of a big dollar investment.

GI JOE #21 in high grade

This book is absolutely checks all the boxes. Not only is it a key for comic collectorsā€¦it is also a key for toy collectors and that makes it all the more valuable. Beautiful iconic cover, 1st appearance of a character who is hugely popular, black cover thatā€™s tough to find in great shape, etc, etc, etc.

2 Likes

Newsstands, price variants, silver age pence, takes a rare breed of comic collector to collect those. Sure theyā€™re rarer but the difference is so minimal that the avg collector wonā€™t pay a premium. Silver Age pence is rarer than US equivalents but go for considerable less.

2 Likes

I would not call GSXM 1 undervalued in the least. Not sure if itā€™s tactless to drop prices we paid like this but I got a CGC 7.5 last year for 2k. That one still hurts, it seems to have dipped where you can easily get it for 1600 now. At least the guy was nice enough and mailed it in a fun way with five layers of padding in three smaller boxes. The copy I have also looks IMO far less than 7.5 so Iā€™m not sure what the grader was thinking, but as people say you can catch a CGC grader on either the best or worst day of their life. Hopefully itā€™ll go up a little once a movie comes out but I think that was a very generous ceiling.

1 Like

Donā€™t do it/I disagree, I got a CGC 7.5 for 950 very recently. That comic store is smoking something for the prices they want OP.

1 Like

It will definitely go up in price once the Xmen are introduced into the MCU. Shouldnā€™t be a long wait as well.

1 Like