Comic Investment 2020

3/4 of the fun in collecting newsstands is in finding them. There’s definitely a market for them and they’re getting more and more popular. I agree the differences are minimal. A different barcode basically. Some are price variants as well. Along with different paper being used as well in some cases. Although Millars run on Fantastic Four they switched the title and credits to the top of the book instead of the bottom. It’s why I try and focus on keys which sell for multiples of what directs go for.

There is definitely a strong emerging market for modern newsstands. The key, for me, is to grab established or potential comic keys of the later Newsstands. I don’t think filler issues will ever see much demand. Having said that, you never quite know what book will be the next modern ‘key’.

2 Likes

Just visited today one of the other LCS here. Might do a pull with then since they are closer to me.

They have a hulk 181 CGC SS 2.5 signed by Stan and Roy. The stamps are out but I don’t care. They are asking $2,500. They are taking offers. What would you recommend I offer?

1 Like

Here is the GPA analysis of ASM129 in 8.0.

$1500 is a bit high, according to the most recent sales.

There is not a whole lot of Data on a double signed, incomplete IH181. I did find a similar sale from 2017.

If you’re going to spend that much on an investment book, I think you’ll get much better returns on the ASM129 8.0, as compared to an incomplete IH181 2.5 SS. Higher grades will appreciate more, typically.

I agree. For investments, I’d try to seek out higher grades myself. Higher grades will likely appreciate on a faster level than the lower grades.

Lower grades are great if you’re trying to just fill the holes in a collection and on a budget, slowly replacing them with higher grades when found, etc.

That price is a bit high for a 2.5 incomplete Hulk 181 even with the signatures. If you are going to spend that much I think your better bet for an investment is with the 7.0 at the other shop if they are willing to negotiate the price.

1 Like

Thanks guys.

Decision, decisions lol

I just never spent this much on a book and I want to make sure I invest in something good.

Hey don’t feel bad they Hulk #181 is better than my 1.0

1 Like

A Hulk 181 is a Hulk 181! Its awesomeness transcends most everything else! If anyone is going for a strict investment they really should try to buy a complete copy and the higher the grade the better. However, if, say for a new or young collector, first full Wolvie is one of those elite books that most people will “forgive” if it isn’t complete. It’s a comic for the ages and I would stress any young, serious collector to get their hands on one asap in any grade! If there is such a thing has a sure thing in comic collecting Hulk 181 would be it!

2 Likes

I think I’m leaning to Hulk 181.

I bought a lower/mid grade IH180 as my current IH181 consolation.

2 Likes

Personally, I think this is far too high for an incomplete 2.5, double signature or not, hot blue chip or not. Take a look at the average sold prices in this grade and deduct that from $2,500. Ask yourself if you’re willing to pay that difference for Stan and Roy’s signatures.

That is my question as well. Do I want to pay almost $1K more for a Stan signature? I don’t know? Yes, no, maybe?

You could get a 5.0 for hat price a month or two ago

People still keep saying how undervalued Hulk 180 is and I will agree every time! Imagine if Bruce Wayne appeared at the end of whatever story in Detective #26 for one panel holding his Batman costume saying something like “the Batman is coming for evil” or something like that. Detective #27 would still be the big book but man oh man #26 would be a six figure book in mid grade! Hulk #180 may not be a six figure book anytime soon but that is the type of historical significance I think it has! Give it ten years or so and no one will be saying Hulk 180 is undervalued!

3 Likes

Stan Lee signatures are beyond cool, but there are a lot of them. Yeah, he co-created the Hulk but had nothing to do with creating Wolverine. Roy’s signature is cool, but no one really goes out of their way to get. For Stan Lee signatures that I have in my collection are books that he wrote…accept for one and that is because it was too god a price to pass up at the time. What would add up to roughly a grand for his signature on a lower grade, incomplete 181, I dunno, for me a bit too much. Maybe if his signatures were more rare on copies of Hulk 181, but they aren’t.

1st is 1st attaching the word cameo or full is peoples way of getting around what really is 1st. Then there’s ads which the old DC golden age ones do well.

1 Like

The most I would pay for a Stan Lee signature is $5… his signature is not rare and for me, adds zero value to any book or collectible it’s on.

1 Like

There’s a group of collectors that won’t collect signatures they believe them as defects writing on the cover and therefore no signature book graded should achieve a 9.8

1 Like