Confirmed Misinformation

And even then, here’s what’s posted:

[November 2020 - Inside sources tell Key Collector that a high-dollar bidding war has ended for the ultra-relevant conspiracy theory story, Department of Truth. There is tons of interest on this project that is attracting A-Level talent for a movie]

I’d take that shit with a grain of salt. There’s so much hearsay in that type of statement. It hasn’t even been optioned by a studio. For all we know this “insider” is just the creator dishing out info to market his damn book…

A-Level talent? After just 2 issues and everyone is jumping on board? Yeah… In other news, not only have pigs learned to fly but there’s a flying donkey now too…

flying_donkey

2 Likes

Feels like another Undiscovered Country, which got optioned before it hit the stands. After having read the issues so far, I suspect that in 10 years time, Star Trek will still be the only movie released that is related to the words Undiscovered Country.

2 Likes

“Undiscovered Country,” had a great-sounding hook. Then I read the comic and was very confused by the dragons and such.

1 Like

Yeah, my thoughts too. Issue #1 is still the best one they’ve put out. I was super excited for the story too :frowning:

Add me to the list. I was so excited by the solicit and how it sounded. I still thought it was okay when it came out, but it was just nothing like I thought it would be. And by issue 4 or 5 I stopped getting it entirely.

2 Likes

Collect what you love and you’ll never be disappointed.

I love Moon Knight and the Bemis run disappointed me. I kid tho, I like your point!

I actually enjoyed the Bemis run on Moon Knight.

Yeah, I hated it. Bizarre tone, messy plot. I only liked the artwork at least for the issues Jacen Burrows was on. My top runs:

1. Huston (who then had Benson take over)
  2. The original Moench stuff.
  3. Ellis short run (even tho we now know Ellis is a creep)
  4. Vengeance of the Moon Knight run
  5. Bendis run (I didn’t hate it)
  6. Literally everything else with MK
  7. Bemis run
1 Like

I think I liked the bizzare’ness of it.

Other than 3 and 4 swapping, that list is good to me too! I wish #1 had stayed in tact longer…I really miss MK right now!

1 Like

You’ve got good taste as well, @highlander1989!
As for you, @agentpoyo, I won’t begrudge you liking the Bemis run as I know some folk really dug it. I disdain it though. Again, however, Jacen’s artwork was fantastic.

GoCollect is dangerously teetering into pump and dump territory. Is this the end game for these big sites? Rely on pump and dump to generate clicks and sell subscriptions?

3 Likes

What are they pushing? Clicks are important. Generates ad revenue. I don’t want to sell you guys on trash to keep the site making money. We all win if we all make money. Also not a fan of subscription services. Info is free. Find it here, there, or elsewhere but no need to pay for it.

2 Likes

I use a few different places including go collect, key collector, chu, cbr, etc. I don’t pay for any of it as they all are free or have free content. The more tools or resources you have the better.

3 Likes

Exactly. When it comes to speculating, it’s without all the facts (that’s what speculating is, a hunch) but we try to use common sense tactics and approach to what one should buy or merely keep a watchful eye on. When it comes to other news, always try to go with confirmed facts and info provided.

Yes, more page loads equals more ad revenue and more clicks amounts to more money earned for the site but I’d rather keep the content free and as close to the facts as possible than push click bait baloney to make money.

3 Likes

I dislike this whole subscription model people are doing not only in the comic speculation world but outside of it as well, just for information that’s basically already readily available and free. What I don’t understand are the people who actually pay for services that only provide information that’s already available elsewhere. Sure some subscriptions provide other services but the patreon groups who make people pay just for info they whip up out their head is beyond me.

4 Likes

I think it’s the equivalent of Sports Center on ESPN. All those scores, etc. are available elsewhere for free. But, the “benefit” is a slick presentation and “analysis” (that one could do on their own if they weren’t lazy) and Top 10 Lists that mean (1) you didn’t have to look anything up yourself, (2) you’re informed for tomorrow’s water cooler chat, and (3) you feel like you belong to an in-group that is getting better/extra information (even if you’re actually not).

1 Like

@ein Great timing for your post as I was just discussing ESPN with some friends.
I’ve participated in Fantasy Football for a very long time. Actually, I’m in the same league with friends from High School that we started up in 1992. Things have changes quite a bit from those days when you had to do hand calculated stats from the newspaper on Tuesday Morning.
During all these years, I’ve enjoyed reading articles and analysis from varied sites. Certainly ESPN has been among them and frankly, a site I visit most often. Not really because they influence my decision making all that much, but I enjoy the injury reports, thought processes, and many of the writers. I’ve especially been fond of Matthew Berry’s Love/hate columns, and most of what he does.

Just recently, they have moved essentially every single Fantasy Football article/column to the ESPN Plus platform…and just two weeks have now moved Berry’s stuff there as well.

I will not pay for write ups, advice columns, reports, etc…no matter how much I have enjoyed them. They simply are not that important. It’s a shame really. I simply won’t be visiting their site near as much now either.

I find it very similar to any comic sites/spec groups, etc…greed takes hold and actually hurts them in the long run.

2 Likes

ESPN died for me when I started working with them back in my writing days and I got to experience how they treated non-TV staff haha.

But for fantasy, the only thing I’ve ever paid for is (back in the day) those fantasy football special magazines they used to sell. Before it became mainstream that used to be the best way to get lists of players and have a reference during the draft.

When any site or service starts selling “premium info” subscriptions/access, seminars, lessons, classes, etc. is when I stop paying as much attention to it. Unless it’s something where selling those makes sense like an educational platform.

I spent so many years in online journalism and working for networks with insider-type access, I’ve seen firsthand how often the goal is to push people to sign up and hope they forget to cancel or are too lazy to.

1 Like