Confirmed Misinformation

Like gym memberships… worked with a guy who was friends with a gym manager, said they loved January, so many new years resolutions. People show up for a month or two, then stop coming… most end up paying for months or years until they realize they’re never gonna use it again. He once said at least 60% of the monthly memberships never showed up regularly… only around 10-20% were hardcore people who utilized their memberships on a weekly basis.

I once read if everyone who signed up for a gym in January actually consistently went to the gym most would need to double their size to have enough machines and classes. They know most people will quit soon after joining, as you remarked!

Gyms bank on it. That’s why they make cancelling a membership so hard. How they can get away with doing that for so long I have no idea.

1 Like

SOOOOOOO true! Most gyms make you send in a LETTER, not email…A LETTER. It’s 2020 and they need that hard copy to their corporate office…? So ridiculous. Just tried to cancel my lady’s membership, sent the letter in the mail. Three months later, they trying to get a collection agency on her.

I used to be really into fantasy sports, mostly football…but the groups I participated in started wanting to hand out prizes, and I felt bragging rights was enough incentive for me to stay engaged…even if I was 0-10 and out of the playoffs I still wanted to win every game. But aside from it not being free anymore, I found myself watching football games instead Of enjoying nice Sunday afternoons or cheering for opposing players to score against my team!

So I dropped it all together (other than keeping tabs on my team) and now waste my time with comics and I’m much happier for it.

2 Likes