DC Heating UP

Whoa, I’m going to have to get that one in addition to the A! Reminds me of the stellar Middletown covers during the latter part of the last Aquaman volume.

In DC’s defense, this looks badass:

Aquaman Andromeda #1

Deep in the Pacific Ocean, at the farthest possible distance from any land, sits Point Nemo: the spaceship graveyard. Since the dawn of the space race, the nations of the world have sent their crafts there on splashdown, to sink beneath the silent seas. But there is something…else at Point Nemo. A structure never made by human hands. And that structure seems to be…waking up. The crew of the experimental submarine Andromeda, powered by a mysterious black-hole drive, have been chosen to investigate this mystery. But they aren’t the only ones pursuing it. Anything of value beneath the ocean is of value to the master pirate Black Manta…and anything that attracts Black Manta attracts Arthur Curry, his lifelong foe, the Aquaman! But heaven help them all when the doors of the mystery at Point Nemo swing wide to admit them… Bringing a bracing cosmic-horror sensibility to the world of Aquaman, rising superstars Ram V (Venom, The Swamp Thing) and Christian Ward (Thor, Invisible Kingdom) team up to put Arthur Curry through an exercise in psychological terror that could break the will of even a king!

3 Likes

I do think that DC has pretty great covers typically. Maybe more so than Marvel.

4 Likes

Looks like Rose Besch added some touches around his chest and arm :grinning:

Here is an idea. Make them gay (Nope, no gay batman or superman YET, happened to Tim Drake) or have them getting married. Oh wait, that did happen… Or we can make them old. Wait that also happened in Dark Knight Returns… Make them an tyrant. Wait that also happened in Red Son…

U damn right. Check out Catwoman SOZO Variant 1:25, straight fire.

No we need non binary SuperThem/They.

2 Likes

Show me on a doll where the DC writers touched you.

1 Like

Christian Ward doing the interior art? I’m in. I mean, they had me at Aquaman in the title, but still.

1 Like

As long as people are willing to pay a huge premium to own that key issue, there will be printed comics. It is the main reason why the entire industry has not gone fully digital.

The other thing I would add is that there will also be traditionally rendered art commissions as people always want a piece of physical art by comic book artists. And hopefully, more of the original comic pages would be rendered traditionally. Hopefully, that extra income would persuade some of the artists to continue to render at least some of the art traditionally.

Comic books have a very low ratio of dollar per minute of entertainment compared to most modern entertainment sources, that is the #1 challenge for physical books in 2022. If the social aspect can be expanded the industry has greater hope at sticking around.

2 Likes

I do like how Jenny Frison sells her OA even though the finished product is digital. When you buy her OA, you get the process pieces, so you get the original 11x17 pencils on board and an 8x10 printout of it that she used to shade the image.

That rescanned shading page is what was scanned in and digitally finished to complete the final art.

They look really well framed together with the pencils, shading, and finished book.

4 Likes

For those of us who enjoy the worthless DC comics, it looks like the Zdarsky / Jimenez run will feature our girl Punchline! I’ve been following Jorge’s IG account and he has been featuring her quite a bit. Finally she is out of the shadow of being a back up story in Joker!

1 Like

It’s only a matter of time before DC gets their shit together. I think nows a good time to be investing while prices are low and not many are buying.

4 Likes

You know its literally been a week, there has been no one single DC spec. Mostly just complain and criticism… It’s Always Darkest Before the Dawn

Guy get picked by another dressed in black
He says in a raspy voice “Who are you…”

The guys dress in black reply “I’m IRS”

@_@

First Wonder Twins saw some activity recently. Super Friends #7 is the book. I recall a Family Guy episode where Peter took the form of a tampon.

3 Likes

I like Zdarsky’s stuff so I’m gonna start reading Batman’s main title again, I think.

2 Likes

Seems some people are getting this giveaway book at certain amc theaters

2 Likes
1 Like

Or you can buy your own :joy:

1 Like