Donny Cates going bonkers

But but some random guy with 60+ copies of Hulk 3 and 6 told me Titan was the next big thing!!

ā€œSelf promotion =/= manipulationā€ - fair enough

ā€œif youā€™re speculating (investing at best, scalping at worst) then you are by definition taking a risk.ā€ Sure, no disagreement - not sure what this has to do with the discussion though. My point was that heā€™s not a very good writer - but heā€™s worked out how to hit all the speculator buttons - and has a career based on his ability to shift units, not delivering well-crafted stories. So Iā€™m not really sure I can align with a view of Donny Cates ā€œputting his heartā€ into his stories when I struggle to see any of that in his recent work, which is less about heart, and more about targetting specific demographics. Not that thereā€™s anything wrong in shifting units - but letā€™s not confuse somebody who is in it for ā€œartā€ with somebody who is in it for ā€œbusinessā€.

ā€œLastly, a majority of shops that sell comics are locally owned small business. If anyone is buying ā€œloads of booksā€ then it that is only helping your community as small business is the lifeblood of our economy, or it was and should be.ā€ If youā€™ll forgive me, that feels like a fairly rose-tinted view of the situation. If a comic store buys more books than usual because of the hype train, and they are then stuck with the stock, thatā€™s not exactly good for them! Itā€™s not great for anybody suckered into the speculation frenzy who buys multiple copies of a book because ā€œthey only go up in priceā€ - and thatā€™s then not beneficial for the industry as those are potentially lost readers if they feel burnt by the experience. Itā€™s not good for speculators - whatever you think of them, they underpin the economics of the comic industry at the moment, without them there would be fewer books, and less creators employed. And itā€™s also not good for the comic industry in the long run (see 90s).

But the pros and cons of actively marketing to speculators is besides my point: if Donny Cates builds a social media presence directly targeting speculators ā€œhey, guys, INSANE first appearance in next Venom, rush to orderā€¦ā€ then he shouldnā€™t be surprised at the response he gets when he reaches out to that same audience with his personal business. Thatā€™s something he should have gone to his friends for, not his social media channel for marketing to speculators. To borrow your words, heā€™s purposely built a channel to self-promote to ā€œslimy peopleā€ - what does he expect is going to happen when he reaches out to them for sympathy on a personal matter?

1 Like

Looks like heā€™ll be more bonkers in 2023!

If heā€™s talking about himself, I thought he was married already.

But I feel his pain from last year if so, met some crazy people on the dating marketā€¦ sometimes just on the apps before ever meeting.

He sais he was dealing with life, so maybe part of what he dealt with is a divorce?

It drains the life from you for sureā€¦ Iā€™m finalizing mine now, itā€™s such a huge relief.

3 Likes

They just got married not too long ago. He was calling her his process and muse and all. Wonder what happened.

1 Like

He confirmed in another tweet that theyā€™re no longer together.

Pot meet kettle?

3 Likes

Honestly, kinda looked like they based their marriage around witchcraft. Not a solid foundation.

2 Likes

Eh, Witchcraft, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, or whatever can be good for a marriage if it is used as a tool to strengthen it. Using religion as a crutch or excuse in your marriage will surely doom it. ā€œOur God says you need to do this to be a good spouse,ā€ or, ā€œWe have to do this in our marriage to make our God happy,ā€ is arguably going to put you on the fast track to misery. At least in relationships Iā€™ve witnessed.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Well so much for Titan Hulk spec.

3 Likes

:ship: :arrow_down:

4 Likes

I couldnā€™t help but notice that on the credits page of Ultimate Invasion there was a special thanks sent out to Donny Cates. I wonder if this is the project he said he was working on in the background?

Also, when was the last time we saw the Maker? Venom 26?? Am I missing how he ended up captured and in a secret prison?

Donny cates was supposed to set something up with the ultimate universe hence maker being sent back to that universe at the end of his venom run, but cause of personal issues and cates stepping back from writing seems like Hickman took over the project and retconned maker being sent back so heā€™s just been captured. Doesnā€™t help that cates also contradicted the ultimate universe at the end of Spider-Men 2 where the ultimate universe was fine, its just confusing overall. Also the new ultimate universe the maker is setting up is 6160,regular ultimate universe is 1610. Maker probably creating his own universe without superheroes

1 Like

We should all be really thankful that one of the best comic writers out there took over for one of the worst.

2 Likes

I actually enjoy Cates. Thor and Hulk fell apart because of his personal issues. Venom was character defining and my only complaint is that Knull went out too easy/quick.

Death of the Inhumans was awesome, ditto Thanos Wins and Cosmic Ghost Rider. I also enjoyed his GOTG run, but I feel like the second arc was better than the first.

That said Hickman is always fantastic! Iā€™m winning either way

1 Like

Iā€™ve dug some of Cates stuff too.

1 Like