Donny Cates going bonkers

He also daid he has been working with Marvel editorial on something INSANE

But didn’t finish the stories he was working on.

2 Likes

“Starship Hulk” didn’t need to finish. Just die.

1 Like

Lol.

1 Like
  • rimshot *
1 Like

I gave Hulk a chance, but bailed after #5; they will probably axe it before #20, in normal Marvel fashion, with another #1.

I still think the flagship titles should have ongoing writers and artists, with consistent, well-written stories. But I guess that just stays in the dream phase.

5 Likes

Reboots = More Marketing = More Revenue

1 Like

How can you lose with that strategy
? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

yea the reboots have been a complaint for years but they wont stop. it does get tiresome. Recent example, Zdarsky’s DD run. It could have continued, it was the same creative team.

But then you have the recent Aaron Avengers run which is up to 60+ issues

:man_shrugging:t2:

That Avengers run by Aaaron is something.

1 Like

agreed, some good story arcs - Dark Celestials, Shadow colonel and the return of Dracula, MK

I avoid the reboots for several issues until I hear a positive buzz. First several issues tend to be so over printed it’s not difficult to go back and find them for cover.

2 Likes

And the age of khonshu! Such a cool arc seeing a super overpowered moon knight

It isn’t good or bad in my opinion, just crazy and weird. I’ll take weird over boring, at least.

I recently watched an interview with Cates where he says that people don’t seem to understand or care that he has a lofe outside of comics. He had made a post about his wife being in the hospital and people were commenting asking about “Who would win between X & Y” and asking for scoops on up coming runs, etc.

I perosnally saw him quote a post before Hulk came out where someone legit asked him who would be showing up in his Hulk run so the person could “invest properly”
 I mean just image working hard, trying to craft a good story and putting your heart into it (This last issue with the scene between young Bruce and his mom really touched me.) and having slimey people trying profit off of you and your work. Its gotta get under your skin and in your head.

3 Likes

When you put yourself out there on social media, that’s the kind of personalities you will attract.

But it’s all in how you handle the situation. Don’t engage in conversation with scum.

4 Likes

Donny Cates has built a whole career out of being able to manipulate speculators so they got excited about his new characters, reinventions of old characters, etc. and buy loads of books. He hasn’t built a career out of being able to deliver good stories (with third acts).

It would be quite hypocritical for him to then turn around and complain about the attention that he gets from speculators when that’s what he’s been courting all along.

3 Likes

Agreed with both of the above comments. Cates wanted to play the game the whole time he’s at Marvel then wonders why no one is legitimately there or concerned about his issues. That also comes with the territory of being famous, randos on Twitter don’t give af about any celebrity’s issues. He gets no sympathy from me.

Self promotion =/= manipulation. Furthermore, if you’re speculating (investing at best, scalping at worst) then you are by definition taking a risk.
Lastly, a majority of shops that sell comics are locally owned small business. If anyone is buying “loads of books” then it that is only helping your community as small business is the lifeblood of our economy, or it was and should be.

1 Like