Donny Cates going bonkers

Is a crossover even appealing if it’s a bunch of characters you never cared about to begin with?

6 Likes

He’s less eccentric on a personality level but he’s still hyping his books… he loves to talk about all those new wonderful first appearances to get people to go out and buy buy buy… He’s doing the same thing, just in a different style. Think of Cates as Tigger while Tynion is Eeyore when it comes to hyping their stuff… :wink:

2 Likes

Why is it, Poyo, that if Cates gets all loud and obnoxious on social media in order to promote himself and his stories, it’s - ‘he likes his job as a writer and gets excited’…but if the Toddfather puts some banners on his book to promote his book, and to celebrate a fairly large industry accomplishment, it’s - ‘the guys a d!ck who likes to stroke his ego’? :man_shrugging:
The question is rhetorical. :beers:

Because Cates is just marketing his books while one is just rubbing it in after the fact. Yes, printing each issue with a new “World Record Breaking Comic” banner is just stroking your ego at that point… yes Todd, we all know each issue of Spawn is a new World Breaking Comic, you don’t have to remind us every damn time on every damn cover! That’s the difference!

1 Like

Also, I’ve been critical of Cates and his tactics within his books, basically promoting his failed past works in his new Crossover.

The day Cates becomes the new World Breaking Comic king and puts banners on every single new issue I’ll be the first one to call him out on such bullshit!

What I’ve read of his sucks except His thanos run was okay. I don’t do Twitter so I couldn’t care less about that aspect of his self promotion. His Venom run sucked. His Thor run sucked. I’d suggest reading some classic runs like Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing or Watchmen. Grant Morrison on Doom Patrol and New X-Men. Warren Ellis on Transmetropolitan, Planetary or The Authority. BKV on anything. I can keep naming books that make Cates work look like the derivative trash it is. To each their own but I think he’s below average at best.

1 Like

And that’s perfectly fine just like I think Todd McFarlane is one of the most overrated comic creators ever. I don’t get why so many suck his dick as the greatest (he’s not if you ask me, too many other great artists and writers who are far superior than McFarlane). If you compare his portfolio to most creators, past and present, he was left behind in the dust long ago on actual skills. Yes, I enjoyed his art on ASM years ago in the late 80s and early 90s (despite it being chaotic and messy in a sense with a lot of extra noise which some claim is a way for artists to cover up mistakes). He proved long ago he can’t write worth a shit on Spider-Man and then on Spawn (with guest writers making Spawn better than it really was), Spawn is pretty much the only thing he has under his belt as a comic creator (except the occasional cover art) after he focused all his attention to his toy business.

I like Cates work for the most part. I don’t like all his work. I don’t agree with all his excitement about his own books but I can see it as a selling point and after meeting him, I understand why he does it cause he’s openly admitted he is living his dream job as a comic writer. Crossover even without his twitter hype is actually a fun read so far (even if most of the characters are failed ones from the past, which actually makes it more entertaining I think). Venom was meh, Thor is fun… Thanos run was fun.

1 Like

I agree Tynion’s Batman run isn’t the second coming of a Christ but it’s still good, and leagues better than Cate’s Venom run thus far. Punchline has been nothing but a gigantic success and I am a fan of Clownhunter and think he has potential down the road. I have zero faith in Knull, Black Winter, or Dylan especially after what KiB5 is doing to Dylan. I was really expecting Dylan to become the 616 version of Codex but of course that potential is being completely pooped on.

Can’t argue with any of this.

1 Like

See, I just don’t set such expectations when reading books, you’ll only be disappointed if they don’t turn out how you envision them to turn out.

Honestly, I just wanted Dylan to be killed (we can still kill him, please, the next Venom writer, please kill Dylan) and Codex was lame. I want Venom to be a villain, not the hero. :wink:

2 Likes

Dylan was just such a terrible character that I felt the only way for him to become interesting was to make him a super hero that could develop over time. Instead he’s just a bad character without powers now. I do not get what Cates is thinking on that one.

His story… it’s how he felt like writing it. When you overthink it, you only think it sucks more cause you had different feelings of how it should have been written.

Except I’m not the only one who thinks the leaked ending is terrible. Everyone who is talking about this weeks releases and knows about said rumor is saying the same. It’s okay if you like it or are okay with it. Don’t let my opinion impact how you feel about it I’m just one comic fan.

That’s going to take another 30 years…

1 Like

I’ll be in my 70s and won’t give a shit by then as well… :wink:

That’s fine, but I like hearing why YOU don’t like it. I don’t give two shits why others don’t like it unless they’re here telling us why they don’t like it. :wink:

I’ve read the entire issue, read it on Saturday… honestly I didn’t expect anything else from the event. Venom was a slow ride up until this final showdown. Eddie gets a new power, beats Knull with new power, end of story. Sounds like a typical comic book story if you ask me. How many times did Peter get the bad guy at the end of each issue? Some of those early Spidey stories were so bad they’re good… it’s all for fun and entertainment for me. I just don’t take comics super serious since they’re all just fantasy and make belief. I try to give writers the benefit of the doubt in their overall plot and story, since it’s their story they’re telling us. I get critical when the actual story telling is horribly written on a more analytical type of level. If you can’t write so the flow of the story keeps me entertained, that’s where you lose me when reading. Even if I’m not crazy about the ending, if that’s how they wanted to end it, that’s just how it is.

Like Brubaker for instance. The man is a narrating genius in his stories. Even some of his stories I’m not crazy about (plot or don’t like the ending) still get me going in a thought process that I’m actually living in that persons mind, I actually feel like I’m the character, the narrator in the story. That’s good writing. Besides BKV, Brubaker is a master story teller.

1 Like

I like McFarlane’s toy company more than any of his comic work btw

2 Likes

I don’t collect enough toys but I know this @tyson guy who’s like the Toy Master who has told me McFarlane’s toys are craptastic in comparison to most others. But I don’t know, maybe @tyson is full of shit. (yes @tyson, you never come onto our forums, I’m trying to get your damn attention).

Tynion couldn’t dig much further down than where King took the Batman book, so…

Poyo:

Also Poyo:

1 Like