eBay Headaches

Technically not an eBay headache but I finally got busted for sending comics media mail. They sent a guy to my house with like 20 packages and said I have to send them first class or priority lol That sucked. Had to void all the media postage and then rebuy at first class or priority. I found out it can be cheaper to just send 2 first class packages than 1 priority package. Now have to raise my shipping prices a little.

How do you all do your shipping on your listings? Do you have a flat rate or calculate it after they purchase because of the weight fluctuation if they buy several comics?

I do free shipping on anything I sell. In the cases I do list comics (which isnā€™t super often because most stuff I get for myself to either read or for longer term spec) if I have more than one copy Iā€™ll do a volume discount to take at least 2-3 bucks off each additional copy since Iā€™ll be saving on shipping. If itā€™s a more expensive book Iā€™d take $5-8 off since I send those priority usually for the insurance.

So I caved and gave my info to eBay for their new payment method. Sold a bunch of stuff Friday. Today, they gave me money from 1 out of 6 sales and the money still hasnā€™t hit my account. The other items still show pending, so even though I have daily payouts, I donā€™t know when that other money becomes available to send, nor do I know when the money they did send will be available in my account. Gotta say the instant PayPal payment was much better.

Yup, Iā€™m about to do one final push for selling this month and then Iā€™m done since they say I have to switch by end of year.

1 Like

I did some research and apparently if you sell enough in categories that managed payments will not yet allow (selling coins or adult items, etc.) you can delay changing after January 1st. I called eBay and explained I sell a chunk of comics that have risque covers and go in the adults only category. They said it will continue to offer for me to change, but I donā€™t have to until later on when they make managed payments compatible with these categories that are restricted from managed payments. Now, I donā€™t know if come January 1st Iā€™ll be okay, or suddenly locked-out, but they promised Iā€™d be good. We shall see as I need eBay to not lock me out of the adults only category when it comes to my more explicit comic variants. If you sell some in categories that wonā€™t be allowed in managed payments maybe call eBay and see if theyā€™ll let you delay changing.

Iā€™ve not heard a peep about this from ebay yet. I must not be a big enough seller. Either way, Iā€™m gonna get rich with all of you guys ditching. Rich, I say!

I havenā€™t been contacted either.

It looks like another of my transactions has been moved from pending to available. But just 1 more out of the 4 I got paid for Friday. This is a slow moving process. since I am leery of all this, I am not sending anything out until I at least get my first payment. I need to know this is going to work out before I ship out any comics. I am thinking itā€™s about a 24 hour process to go from pending to available based on the time stamps of the transactions, but not 100% on that.

I hate the managed payments as well. My deposits have been clearing within 3 business days of payment. Which it was 8 business days initially so itā€™s a bit better but still not immediate like PayPal.

Nope, I will list all the books you have and sell directly here from the forums and tell everyone I will match and beat whatever that guy @Joe is selling atā€¦ :wink:

So first thing this morning, it appears my first payment posted into account. This time, due to the weekend, the money took 4 days after sale to hit my account, but most looks like itā€™ll take 5 days-this does account for the rest of my sales from Friday.Trying to look at bright side- I donā€™t spend PayPal money immediately on more comics. It still sucks taking this long to get paid.

I understand being frustrated by not getting the money instantly, but there are tons of people who have transitioned to managed payments. Has anyone actually heard complaints where people have been paid and they have shipped stuff and didnā€™t end up getting the money?

I havenā€™t. I know people are hesitant to stay on eBay with the new system; I was hesitant too, so just letting people on here know my experience with my first transactions with the new system. I thought it might help people on here who were thinking of hanging it up over the new system make a better decision about what to do.

They can give me my money instantly with their new system if possible, my thing though is I use paypal as a way of money in and out on all comics and entertainment related purchases. I buy things from selling things, from the original investment. So my normal account and salary is never used when purchasing collectible stuff. Now if I have to have all money deposited directly into my bank account, I have to move it around on every deposit or I have to open another account to use, which I donā€™t want to do, thatā€™s what Paypal was for, my pay wall to segregate one from the other.

I also donā€™t like the thought of having eBay having access to my banking infoā€¦ I would be annoyed by the number of deposits and then the number of withdrawals coming and going (if balance is zero, them doing auto withdrawals I do not like the idea of)ā€¦

1 Like

I opened a new account. eBay and comics stuff only. I didnā€™t want it messing with actual checking account, and neither did m wife! I like having the new debit card to make LCS purchases, and no longer having to send PayPal money to my checking account. I wish it were Instant, but giving it a chance. Still use PayPal for buying on eBay, just switched to new account vs balance. So far, so good.

Thatā€™s my main concern. Paypal was my ā€œentertainmentā€ fund that I could build up selling things and not feeling bad if I splurged on a comic, game, movie, etc. Now that it goes to my bankā€¦

Plus Iā€™ll have to make a secondary account to connect because I donā€™t want to trust ebay with my main bank account.

1 Like

I mean, I know I can but I really donā€™t want to open ā€œanother bank accountā€ā€¦ sighā€¦ and yes, I donā€™t trust eBay either. Theyā€™re customer service is usually sub par and I feel that them taking on payments is only going to increase the call numbers and itā€™s going to only get worse.

1 Like

I just donā€™t trust eBay of all companies with access to withdraw directly from my main account with their changes about how challenging return requests and stuff work. Itā€™s one thing to trust a utility company or my mortgage company to have access to withdraw, but eBay? With how many times in the past years Iā€™ve been screwed over by a decision of theirs? No way.

2 Likes

Exactly one of the other reasons. If I do end up creating another account, you better believe once the money hits Iā€™m going to already start the withdrawal to my other accounts not tied to it. :wink: