eBay Headaches

Technically he would be returning the case as damaged, and not the book. So technically he wouldn’t even really be being that dishonest. :man_shrugging::man_facepalming::wink:

That’s not being a good ethical person though. Plus in the fine print it says upon a claim, they can pay out but the item is theirs if they request it. Just like car insurance… Lay a claim and it’s totaled, its now owned by the insurer.

What if it was a priceless family heirloom, or something? (I understand you prob wouldn’t be shipping something like that, but, there are less extreme examples, one of a kind gift for a child sent by grandma, perhaps). Should the carrier be allowed to keep something like that?
I believe your car insurance comparison is not accurate, Poyo. If you are in an accident and your car isn’t ‘totaled’, then the insurance co. will repair your vehicle, and you get to keep it. I believe that to more comparable in Drogs scenario as Drogs book isn’t ‘totaled’. He should be reimbursed for the damage caused, and be allowed to keep his property and try to get it fixed, imo.

I’m not sure I agree with you that my proposed, hypothetical scenario is unethical. Technically you are returning the case that was broken, and that case w/ a pressing that that case was protecting, and shipping costs, is probably close to the $50 that the claim was being made for.

I would argue that it is unethical for the carrier to damage your property, then tell you that the only way to get reimbursed for the damage, that they caused, was to forfeit your property, that they damaged, to the same carrier that damaged it. That’s not right, or ethical, or good, imo. :thinking:

And aren’t you, Poyo, the guy who uses media mail for items that don’t technically qualify for media? :wink::man_shrugging:

I asked the post master if that could be done (I.e., give them the case w/o the comic). Answer was no as that would be further damaging the item and therefore borderline fraud. But I tried at least being upfront with them that I was willing to do that.

The part that gets me is the comic isn’t all that valuable or rare…but I waited 3 years on eBay for it to show up in 9.6 or higher condition, so it is sort of invaluable to me in a way…and examining the damage it looks like it could actually press out…so didn’t want to give it up.

1 Like

That happened to me. First week of December I dropped off a priority package being shipped to CGC (50 books!). 2 weeks later still showed preshipment. Wasn’t til after Christmas that it suddenly scanned in FL (I’m in NY). Keep tracking those packages so you can get the buyers to send them back. Holiday delays made first class run faster than priority.

1 Like

How badly packaged was the return book that a simple drop damaged both the case and the book? Sounds like it was very poorly packaged making it the buyers fault. Or an angry postal employee played smash it. Hell the buyer could have been pissed about the wrong book and damaged it themselves.

Always read the fine print… wouldn’t seem right but during damage, if they’re paying to recoup the entire value or worth of it, then the broken item is now theirs.

It is being unethical in the sense that you’re basically committing insurance fraud. We all know the value is the entire case with comic inside. Swapping out the comic that’s graded in the slab is trying to pull a fast one and you know it…

As for media mail, they’re wording to me is still very vague and loose.

“Media Mail packages may not contain advertising. Comic books do not meet this standard.”

Yet some comic books do, as I’ve sent plenty that have zero advertising in them. I’ve seen books with tons of advertising in them. So yes, unethical in a sense… If they inspected and make me pay, I would. Maybe I’ll throw in a printed sheet of music with every mailing… the comic is just padding for the sheet of music. :wink:

But I wouldn’t go so far as to committing insurance fraud on a claim to get reimbursed for damages, etc.

1 Like

I once mailed a glass pitcher to some one. When they got it they said it had a chip on it. They sent pictures and I opened a case with the USPS and they refunded me. I let the buyer keep the pitcher. It was about $20. This was the second time that I had to use the insurance policy the past 25 years of buying and Selling things. The USPS never wanted the item though.

Yeah, the few claims I’ve done they were satisfied with pictures of the damage. One time I shipped a Mac Book Pro laptop and the screen would not display, just squiggly lines (if I connected a monitor to it, worked fine). They wanted me to bring in to claim the insurance claim (which I knew was going to result in them keeping it). After a few days, the problem just sort of stopped and I could not reproduce so I didn’t bother spending time bringing in. I ended up selling it again (noting the issues it had and made sure any buyer knew it was AS-IS and could not return) for almost the same amount as first go round.

1 Like

As I was writing up my last post the USPS delivered two packages. One was some comics and the other was long rectangular shaped box. About 3 feet by 6 inches by 6 inches. Half of it was crushed and I was wondering what in hell did I order??

Luckily it was not damaged. It was a war gaming mat that I had ordered last October and had opened a case. They never even emailed me back.

Can yo I ship beer via USPS?

USPS doesn’t allow you to mail alcohol.”

From a quick lookup…

1 Like

Or even a box that has an alcohol display on the box. No wine or beer boxes to ship anything. I trying remember to use a Budweiser box to ship some books.

I wouldn’t trust USPS with alcohol anyways… and plus, why would I ship alcohol? I keep to drink… I don’t share beer unless you visit me in person… :wink:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

Party at Poyos!!

3 Likes

I have a 2 week quarantine restriction before you come inside though… :wink:

Will we still get beer during those 2 weeks of quarantine?

1 Like

No, BYOB… :wink:

:cry::cry::cry: